Why are UK People so Polite?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Xenophobia is irrational fear of different people and customs, not a willingness to discuss cultural differences
err... yes, I know that and I'm not exactly sure what you're replying to.
I was making a comment to Bruce about how xenophobic some Japanese people can be - not all are, of course, but I've seen some instances online that once a person finds out where you're from their language turns ugly and they want nothing to do with you after that...when moments before they were friendly and polite. But all countries have people with problems like that. I've also have some friends that have dealt with some pretty crazy stuff while living in Japan (like death threats).

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Darn it , i think we all are different and the niceness just shows in more places then others??

I think all countries are as nice as they wish to be lol , some may just have a bad rep or some thing..

Jess x

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally have never heard any one of my friends call their parents sir or madam/ma'am, and I haven't either. In fact, I've never heard of anyone calling their parents that unless it's in one of the old novels I have. Of course, that could just be my area. My parents have always been Mom and Dad to me, and I think that's most common around here. Mommy and Daddy come in a close second.

As for politeness, I haven't had any interaction with and Brits besides on a few forums. I've always lived around polite, friendly people. My parents have both encouraged me and all of my siblings to act friendly, even if it means just waving and smiling. So yes, I think a lot of it is how you were brought up, and some areas have a higher amount of people that have the same or similar views on things like that.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was always drummed in to me as a kid to be polite, always say Please and Thank you and be seen and not heard

It was funny the other day, I went to the bank with a friend and she had lost her card so we were at the help desk and she asked if she could get a new card. The woman said, 'And what else?'. My friend was like and can I take some money out? The woman says, 'Whats the magic word?' My friend was not being rude she just forgot to say please
so she was told off. The woman said they are all trying to get their customers to be more polite

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoalily

I personally have never heard any one of my friends call their parents sir or madam/ma'am, and I haven't either. In fact, I've never heard of anyone calling their parents that unless it's in one of the old novels I have. Of course, that could just be my area.
As I said, it's more of a southern thing. As is "hun/hon" and "sug" as endearments.
It's not used as much in Oklahoma, but I still hear it fairly often - I always use it with those outside of family and friends. I have one Louisianan uncle that is very proper and old fashioned. He actually got mad at me the first time I was visiting because I didn't say ma'am and sir to family.

Originally Posted by Jaffacake

The woman said, 'And what else?'. My friend was like and can I take some money out? The woman says, 'Whats the magic word?' My friend was not being rude she just forgot to say please
so she was told off. The woman said they are all trying to get their customers to be more polite
That starts with the employee - it's just good customer service. Most of the time if you're very polite the costumer will be too - simply because it makes them feel bad. You can't force manners on other people, but you can make them realize their slip up.

Whenever a person tells me to have a good day I always reply back kindly - even if the person was just automatically saying it.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm Australian and my partner and parents are British, and I can seriously see a huge difference in 'politeness'. I think it's interesting because obviously it's not a generational thing- both partner and parents have the same brand of formal/distant politeness, but more a British thing.

Australians are very very friendly, but not as polite. XD Or rather, not as formal. You're very likely to get a "G'day, Mate." with a beaming grin in greeting here, rather than a "Good morning" or "Hello." My partner found that really surreal when he first moved here- he thought that it was a stereotype, that Aussies didn't really say G'day. XD