Why are the bananas so yucky lately?

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, no. I've looked at dozens and dozens of articles in the past few days and weeks, even earlier today, but didn't bookmark any. I was satisfied with the info I was finding and saw no need to save any of it.

Search for irradiated foods, irradiated fruits and vegetables, etc. Put in different search words until they bring up the information you're looking for. It's tedious and time consuming but you will be able to find what you're looking for.

Something interesting. According to info on YouTube, boxes containing imported tropical fruits have a label that shows whether a particular fruit has been irradiated. Good, but those fruits are unpacked and put into bins in the stores and we never, ever see the boxes and those labels.

So, that kind of labeling really doesn't help us at all.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you been eating them for so long your tongue is like EWW lol

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That whole "bananas to help with depression" thing is interesting, to me.  I've got a teenager who suffers from depression - maybe I'll feed him more bananas (although he's not crazy about them, either).

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love bananas and I have heard that the inside of the banana peel is good for whitening your teeth.Anyone tried this before ?

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love bananas and I have heard that the inside of the banana peel is good for whitening your teeth.Anyone tried this before ?
I heard this as well, and whilst i do love bananas i've not done this. I wonder if it does work as whitening toothpaste takes ages!!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for the info Violet. My store does have organic bananas. They cost twice as much, but may be worth it, I'll try them next time.
I only eat organic bananas... they are highly sprayed otherwise and the banana itself absorbs it.. it's not just the skin.

But to be honest, Otto, if something is really hard to eat, I avoid it.  I think in those cases your body is trying to tell you something. 

But if you think the bananas really do help why not make yourself a smoothie? You can have a banana, some organic dairy, soy, rice or almond milk, maybe a scoop of some protein powder, you can add some other fruit as well, some yoghurt, .. whatever takes your fancy!

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is for Willowy........ getting back for a moment to your question in post #14

Would a book written in 1971 have any relevance now? I mean EVERYTHING in food production has changed since then.
The information in the book, even though yes, definitely, there have been many changes in food production, is just as relevant today as it was when it was written. Also, sadly, not all of the changes that we can see are for the better.

Her other book, dealing with food additives and containing the vitally important information about carrageenan came out only a year later, in 1972. A long time ago, yes, but still, after all these years, incredible, lifesaving information for those of us who need to solve certain cat health problems (not to mention some of our own.)

So I'm just trying to say, old books don't automatically become irrelevant just because they were written many years ago.

(Food allergy/intolerance is another subject where old information remains vitally important no matter how long ago it was first published.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only eat organic bananas... they are highly sprayed otherwise and the banana itself absorbs it.. it's not just the skin.

But to be honest, Otto, if something is really hard to eat, I avoid it.  I think in those cases your body is trying to tell you something. 

But if you think the bananas really do help why not make yourself a smoothie? You can have a banana, some organic dairy, soy, rice or almond milk, maybe a scoop of some protein powder, you can add some other fruit as well, some yoghurt, .. whatever takes your fancy!
Oh urrrgggg. LOL. The idea of trying to drink down a smoothie that tastes like banana almost makes me gag, LOL. I don't like blended things as it is, and to add banana to it, ugh!

The bananas don't affect me adversely in any physical way, and they DO help control my depression, as long as I eat one daily. But thanks for trying, anyway. :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The bananas don't affect me adversely in any physical way, and they DO help control my depression, as long as I eat one daily. But thanks for trying, anyway.
I'm thinking that it's the tryptophan and maybe the vitamin B6 in Bananas that helps.. certainly tryptophan helps depression.. maybe you could try just taking those things as supplements.

But, hey, if bananas make you feel better, and you can manage to get them down, it sounds like it's worth the yucky bits

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do take a B complex supplement daily, mainly to help control fibromyalgia pain, since i just can't eat enough food to get enough . But I prefer to get my nutrients through food rather than pills whenever possible, I don't do well with supplements, I don't like the "other ingredients".. And I dislike the trend toward reliance on pills rather than nutrition. :)

Supplements come with their own load of side effects. Bananas are very nutritious, and I have managed to reconcile myself to eating one daily for the last three years, and it is not killing me, it is, in fact good for me in multiple ways.

spirit678

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You say you eat them everyday because they have the nutrients that keep you from being depressed, but I would think if you're eating something all the time that you can't stand, that would only make you more depressed. I'm sure there's other things you can eat that have the same nutrients. Is it the potassium? I think they make pills for that. I will never eat anything I don't like. There's always alternatives. I hate bananas for the same reason (except banana loaf because it's just completely different), but there's soooo many other fruits I'll eat.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

You say you eat them everyday because they have the nutrients that keep you from being depressed, but I would think if you're eating something all the time that you can't stand, that would only make you more depressed. I'm sure there's other things you can eat that have the same nutrients. Is it the potassium? I think they make pills for that. I will never eat anything I don't like. There's always alternatives. I hate bananas for the same reason (except banana loaf because it's just completely different), but there's soooo many other fruits I'll eat.
Kindly note that you have responded to a post that is well over a year old. The OP may or may not be around anymore. Feel free to start your own thread about bananas or about anything else you'd like to discuss. Thank you.

pllago

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if it's irradiation, or retail store mishandling, or bruising en route to the retailers, or careless and rough picking of the fruit at harvest, but I, too, am dealing with this problem ALL over southern CA markets.. I've tried different  markets and it's pretty much the same story everywhere.  Whether it's Chiquita or Del Monte or Dole or some other "brand" most of the bananas are all bruised up in the display case.... either visible bruising or a lot of "soft" spots which make eating them "yucky".    So people will take a bunch and remove the individual bananas, buying maybe 2-3 from a bunch of 6-7 bananas!   It's infuriating and frustrating because I DO LOVE bananas and lately we're almost doing without.  Hopefully with all the WASTE going on at the store level SOMEBODY will take remedial action.  It's a shame!!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is an old thread. But apparently people are still noticing the problem. I like bananas and want to eat them because they are so good for you. I pick out ones that are more on the green side. I put them in the produce bag. I ask the check out person to put them in a bag by themselves and be very careful with them when I load my groceries in the car. As soon as I get home, I take them out of the plastic and put them in a bowl on my counter. This does seem to help. However, I do like to eat them when they are still firm and more on the green side. This might not work for a person who eats really ripe bananas. :nod: