why are SO many vets against RAW?????

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to go see how long it is for actual nutrition training/education, though. I know that's a little off my original topic, but I don't think they're getting *years* of nutritional training unless they're specializing.

In any case, I wish I'd considered and followed through on being a vetrinarian earlier in life. At almost 35.. it's kind of too late to invest 8 years of college into my career.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I need to go see how long it is for actual nutrition training/education, though. I know that's a little off my original topic, but I don't think they're getting *years* of nutritional training unless they're specializing.

In any case, I wish I'd considered and followed through on being a vetrinarian earlier in life. At almost 35.. it's kind of too late to invest 8 years of college into my career.
ONE it aint too late ... as DEAR ABBY told a 50 yr old wanting to be a dr well youll be 8 yrs older anyway

Vets get one semester nutrtition training in the reg curriculum... most would says yrs coming from the yrs of practice ... actual nutrition degrees vary from 9 months to 8 yrs ///

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

ONE it aint too late ... as DEAR ABBY told a 50 yr old wanting to be a dr well youll be 8 yrs older anyway

Vets get one semester nutrtition training in the reg curriculum... most would says yrs coming from the yrs of practice ... actual nutrition degrees vary from 9 months to 8 yrs ///
True, I suppose, but I'm also trying to get myself out of debt, and from what I understand getting into vet school is fairly difficult. I surely don't have the kind of finances to put myself through school. It's really just one of those things that was like... dude I could do so much if I were a vet...hehe

Anyway, I have to wonder exactly how much nutritional education they actually get after they're out of school and in practice. I mean, I don't think I'd qualify any sort of commercial pet food sponsored "educational training" as actual nutritional background... so, given how busy they are, they're probably more likely to attend education seminars on the newest diseases and treatments opposed to new nutritional info.

Who knows.. but it does come down to ms. thing vet tech surely didn't have years of nutritional background and most likely neither did any of the vets do extensive "many years of nutritional education" to make the determination that cats should be fed a commercially balanced dry food. Dunno where she got felt justified telling someone that it takes years of training that they don't have when the recommendations she's making are coming from people who don't have that training either.

but anyway... I'm glad we don't use them regularly.

noelle&oliver

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

True, I suppose, but I'm also trying to get myself out of debt, and from what I understand getting into vet school is fairly difficult.
I know I'm getting rather off topic, but....When I was considering pre-vet, I was told it was harder to get into vet school than med school due to there being more med schools in the nation. I guess they're more selective. I was told that you basically needed a 4.0, and since I couldn't hack the chem classes, I had to switch my major anyway.

Money can definitely be a negative issue, but if you've got the drive to study and accomplish your goal, than it's always possible - no matter what the age

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's what I'd heard too, more difficult to get into.. and I work full time, it would be either a serious struggle for eight years, or I'd be doing it part time.. so what.. more than eight years, and I know I don't have the drive to get through it.

Just to bring it back to topic though... I would definitely be a vet that took extra nutrition classes, and do a study on the benefits of a raw diet. So, I believe I'd be supportive of it instead of against it... among other practices (like discounted prices for needy people and doing free or low cost altering for rescues and ferals)

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's funny how people always think of bacterias as something bad. There are GOOD bacterias to. They live in our (and out pets) intestines and they're an important part of our immune system. Lactobacillus is one of the good guys.

A study done at the Swedish Veterinary University shows that puppys raised by bitches fed homemade food during pregnancy and lactation were a lot less likely to develop skin disorders and allergies. The veterinary responsible for the study believes it has to do with the fact that bitches fed homemade food get more of the good bacterias (through the food) than bitches fed commercial food and this affects the offspring to.

I've raw fed my cats for 4 years and they've never been in better shape. They go champion, international champion and I breed healthy kittens. I haven't had one case of diorreah since I started the whole raw feeding program and believe it or not, I've helped owners to "condemned cats" to create a healthy, raw diet to their cats and the cats have recovered completely.

How can anyone condem raw food when it saves lives? It's often the last resort... a last desperate try from the owners side to save a beloved cats life.

Can it be done wrong? Of course, but that doesnät mean that all raw feeding is bad.