Why are my two older cats refusing to use a NEW litter box?

krystal55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought buying a brand new box with higher sides would eliminate the problem of our 'middle' cat Callie kicking the cat litter out of the older box when she is 'finished.' But now, after changing to the new box which includes enough litter out of the old box to contain their scent (no, it isn't dirty, and it is the exact same type litter I've been using) and after Missy and Callie were in the room with the new box all afternoon, they still have refused to use that box and are obviously "holding it." Our vet said cats can "hold it" for unbelievably long times! Callie seems to be considering peeing on the furniture, though. This has been happening, and I certainly would like to stop that!

I still have the older box (and it is really old, must be as old as me, and I'm about to turn 60!), I can change back to it if worse comes to worst. But why won't Missy and Callie use the new one?? Our recent adoptee, Fluffy--the one who fought with senior Missy and so is confined to a big pet cage when they are all in the same room, to prevent more fights--immediately began to use her own new box as soon as I bought it for her.

Anyone have any ideas how to get the older girls to "get a clue"?

Last edited:

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old are the cats and are they long or short-haired?  Older cats might not use boxes with high sides because they are hard to step into if they have arthritis.  Long-haired cats might not use high sided boxes because they can get a static electric shock when entering.

Did you change the depth of the litter?  Did you fill it extra deep since it's a taller box?  Keep the litter at the same depth you used to keep it at.

If it's none of the above it could just be the newness of it or maybe it has that new plastic smell?  Cat's can be oddly particular.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystal55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe try put some old litter in or some their poo in there
Interestingly enough, I have already tried using this new box in the kitchen (since the older kittehs have issues about the younger girl and we still keep her separated from them, trying to prevent any further fighting) but to no avail, I did put a bit of their poo into it but they ignored it completely! They have become almost totally house cats although they do have access to the outdoors if they want to go outside. And I know that anyone who owns house kits would normally have a convenient litter box in the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystal55

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

How old are the cats and are they long or short-haired?  Older cats might not use boxes with high sides because they are hard to step into if they have arthritis.  Long-haired cats might not use high sided boxes because they can get a static electric shock when entering.

Did you change the depth of the litter?  Did you fill it extra deep since it's a taller box?  Keep the litter at the same depth you used to keep it at.

If it's none of the above it could just be the newness of it or maybe it has that new plastic smell?  Cat's can be oddly particular.
Missy is 13, Callie is 9. Vet said Missy has signs of arthritis developing but so far it doesn't seem to bother her in the least, although with age she is slowing down a bit. That is why I will keep the old box (with sides about 4 inches high all around) in case she does have pain from arthritis later in life. They are both short haired calicos. Younger kitty Fluffy is also a calico with slightly longer hair, but not long enough to make an electric shock.

I read somewhere here that litter depth should be no more than 2 inches. That is about how it is in the new one, maybe 1 1/2 inches. I added a little more litter because the bottom of the pan is roomier and I needed to get it deep enough for the 2 kittehs although not overly deep.

[EDIT] Oh, Hurrah!!! I just went out to bring the girls indoors from headquarters (garage) so Fluffy could get out of her pen again to run around. I looked in the new litter pan and there IS evidence that the older ladies have done their job!!! These days I have been working to prevent Fluffy from using the older box, I thought it would help the others feel better if Fluffy did not have access to it. Now that we have this new box, it will be used by Missy and Callie only, so that Fluffy's scent will not be on it. I knew that if the older ones refused it, I could rule out a problem with Fluffy's scent as she would not come in contact with it. Anyway, now it is being used by her older cousins!

One thing that may have helped, was that during the evening I took Callie and set her directly into the new box and explained to her about the situation while running my own fingers thru the litter, as if I were scraping at it like a cat would do. I held her there for a minute or two before releasing her. Cats can indeed be oddly particular but they can also be very, very smart ;) Missy and Callie are quite intelligent and I hope that in time Fluffy will be just as smart!

Anyway, happy ending, I trust...I hope overnight Missy and Callie will continue to use the new box. I left their pee and poo in it for now, to help attract them.