Why are boxes so tasty?

misstufts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Luci, has a very..very annoying habit of eating cardboard boxes. This is what I found today..

I swear, do I have a rabbit or a cat??
She's relentless, wherever there's cardboard, she will be there. We kept boxed out with grocery bags in them for her sister, who prefers a tight squeeze into a comfy box. But Luci use to always gnaw and found pleasure puncturing her teeth through the cardboard. Now, she's taking up the habit of consuming it..
I checked her teeth and they don't look irritated, infected or anything like that. I originally thought she had a tooth issue but that doesn't seem to be the case.
She was cleared by the vet, I'm just confused as to what would make her consume the boxed from just biting them? Are they tasty? Are there nutrients she needs?
Please help, I'm stumped!

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Chewing boxes is pretty common behavior, but actually eating the cardboard is strange and unhealthy. There have been some threads about it:

[thread="35951"][/thread]
[thread="250976"][/thread]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misstufts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chewing boxes is pretty common behavior, but actually eating the cardboard is strange and unhealthy. There have been some threads about it:

[thread="35951"][/thread]
[thread="250976"][/thread]
I never knew cats and cardboard were a big thing, thank you for the links, I'll be sure to read through them!