Why are all kitten collars "Quick Release"?

tornadoknight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are new with our little 3 month kitty.  Why are almost all kitten collars "quick release"?  We can't seem to keep Leo's collar on.  He pops it off all the time.

I want him to get used to wearing his collar.  All the larger ones are "buckle" collars.  (I'm guessing there is a chance of them strangling themselves?)

Experienced kitty owner advice, please. 

Thanks,

Matt

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there's a pretty good chance of them strangling themselves. Cats should never wear a non-safety collar unsupervised (and if you're using it for walking, you should be using a harness instead). There are some with adjustable-strength snaps, but I forget the brand name.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's also a big risk of adults getting strangled, even with so called break away collars. I would never use collars of any kind, hear far too many horror stories, some near misses and sadly deaths when the owners weren't home.It's actually a good thing your kittens is coming off rather than getting caught on something.

Last edited:

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They have stretchy ones. They can still get out if the collar gets stuck somewhere but it's not going to fall off just because the quick release clip has come loose.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you planning on letting her be an outside kitty? Why is the collar so important? If you are afraid of her getting lost, have her microchipped and forget the collar. Mine are inside only, but they are "chipped up" just in case.

ronandbarry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we used to get quick release ones for my cat but when we needed to loosen my kittens collar (he was growing fast!) it was actually jammed. we pulled a lot but eventually decided to cut the whole collar off. even when it was off my kitty i still couldnt undo it! so now we have elasticated ones for both our cats. here is a link for some on ebay but these dont come with tags.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Designer-...pplies_Cats&hash=item23153b88d0#ht_500wt_1054

this is not a bad price - it is about £1.74 per collar.

Oh, and look at the description!  I quote:   "The collars are the very latest in design and worn by the most fashionable cats." lol! although, i have to warn you, since we put these collars on my cats i swear they've been strutting around the house EVEN MORE and and they are constantly acting like they own the place... mind you, the amount of chairs and beds they sleep in, they almost do... hope this helps.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well then, you need to get those kitties a Right Said Fred CD and let them strut in style. My kitties are "Too Sexy for Their Collars" so they don't wear them, but they still strut on the catwalk:sly:

http://is.gd/zcBGO6

cinderflower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well then, you need to get those kitties a Right Said Fred CD and let them strut in style. My kitties are "Too Sexy for Their Collars" so they don't wear them, but they still strut on the catwalk:sly:
http://is.gd/zcBGO6
yep.  all my cats are running around naked now, too.  the older two had collars for years with their names and my phone number on it but when i got houdini two years ago, he had a tiny baby collar on so i bought another one, and he quickly took it off so he could play with it (it had a little bell).  then he started taking the other's collars off LOL and i just gave up and removed all of them.

i should get them chipped, it's just one of those things i've never done, but they never go out in the hall unsupervised.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine are 100 % indoors but we use collars with tags and microchips.  There are advantages to each.  Breakaway is the safest for sure, but it took five tries to find a brand my Leo couldn't escape from and three tries for my Emily.  The brands at petsmart were no good for us.  We had to order from the internet to find a brand that was escape proof yet still safe.  We ordered from thecatconnection.com and found beastie band to be the most escape proof.  Tuff lock was also pretty good. 

http://www.thecatconnection.com/cats/beastie-bands-collars.html

Luckily collars are cheap and the shipping is too.  They just stick it in an envelope and mail it.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My one cat put his tip of foot in the stretchy collar and he was the same to rub against and get stuck on a hinge for a phone table.

I did away with collars a long time ago.  I figure if the cat gets out they are most likely coming back into the house trapped with cage I set and not going up to some stranger. 

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL my husband says the kitties immediate reaction when we put the collar is " it's burns, it burns, get it off!". Mine manage to get their collars off within minutes LOL. As a result, we gave up trying. 

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL my husband says the kitties immediate reaction when we put the collar is " it's burns, it burns, get it off!".
What a hoot! Exactly how mine felt about collars.

In answer to OP's post: They make these because there are dumb people like my youngest sister that lives on a farm and outside kitty will hang himself and die if NOT using a break-away collar, then call her older sister (me) and bawl her eyes out because of this type of tragedy.
(The stories I could tell about this sister of mine and kitties she has lost over the years!!!! Thank goodness I have another sister that "gets" how to raise kitties and keep them safe.) I cringe when not-so-kitty-minded sister tells me about a new kitty she has. And she's also one that knows I feed a raw diet, but still says, "You don't cook the meat?!" no matter how many times I've tried to explain it. Sorry...I digressed.

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you planning on letting her be an outside kitty? Why is the collar so important? If you are afraid of her getting lost, have her microchipped and forget the collar. Mine are inside only, but they are "chipped up" just in case.
I had the experience of some people more or less cat-napping one of my cats, probably because he refused to wear a collar and they were too stupid to realise that enticing a cat into your house is wrong.  Thankfully I got him back - I put a collar on him which stayed on long enough to get their brain cell to work, but when he was ill in their house instead of taking him to a vet they took him to the local rescue who read his chip.  He kept coming home with fleas as well because they thought that flea collars were effective.