Who's your father?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My daddy is a construction worker.
He builds ag buildings (and kitty enclosures!
). He is one of 9 children, and somewhere around 55 years old (I don't know his age
).

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Maybe there should be a tissue advisory for this thread?
You're not just kidding, Jan!

My Dad was born three days after the Titanic sank. His parents were both English, and I'm not sure when they came to Canada, but Dad and his next brother were both born here, before the family returned to England just before WWI, on the last passenger crossing of the Atlantic, to stay with his mother's family for the duration. His father was an army man, about whom I know very little because Dad was never close to him, didn't talk much about him and never with any affection. As far as I know, he never saw battle, and they returned to Canada in 1919, by then with another son. Their sister was born in Canada. All four of them are gone now.

Dad made his living in various aspects of sales, meeting my Mum in the workplace. They "courted" for many years because it was the depression and they couldn't afford to get married. They'd have made fifty years, but for that. Latterly, he managed several branches of a major but now-defunct supermarket chain. That fit well with him, given his love of food and people.

I was about 7 when my parents reversed roles -- uncommon in the 1950s -- and Mum took an office job, while Dad stayed home. He was the cook in the family, though Mum could certainly hold her own, and it's definitely from him that I inherited my kitchen joy.

I was Daddy's Little Girl, no doubt about it. He sang that song to me enough. I still have the single of it that he gave me as a birthday card one year. He sang to me lots, and I marvel that I actually learned the tunes, because later on it became quite clear that though he loved music, he really couldn't carry a tune in a basket!
We did lots of things together, but nothing that I enjoyed more than going for walks with him. We had our routes, but we also "explored". We travelled the city on streetcars and buses, we walked the length of the shopping district at Christmas time, looking at all the decorations. He read to me when I was little and he taught me to play Cribbage, something that we enjoyed together even in his declining years.

He died in October 2005 at the age of 93. There were many things about his life that were not easy, but it was a good life. I miss you, Daddy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know who my dad is, psychologically at least. He's odd, probably has Asperger's Syndrome ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_Syndrome )(my brother does have AS, and they're very similar) but refuses to go in for a diagnosis. For anyone who has experience with AS, you know that means he seemingly has no emotions, and is very socially awkward and sometimes inappropriate. Not easy to be close to.

The facts: He's the oldest of 4, he weighed over 10 pounds at birth and was breech (NOT c-section....yipes!), he ripped his mother all to pieces inside and the doctor told her not to have any more kids. But she had 3 more, the youngest being 10 years younger than my dad. Both of his parents had drinking problems. His mom quit drinking when my dad was fairly young, but his dad was a functioning alcoholic his entire life. So my dad struggled with drinking throughout his teens and 20s, and finally quit drinking altogether when I was about 8.

He grew up in the Panama Canal Zone (so did my mom), and so is different culturally as well. The Zone was it's own little world, and so I can't really relate to his childhood. Although being a Navy brat on an overseas base is fairly similar, but not exactly.

He was in the Navy for 20 years, and did very well. Evidently obeying direct orders is easy for him. He had a terrible time adjusting to civilian employment, but has now settled into a job as a rural mail carrier. It suits him; it's a solitary job, you do what you're told to do, and it does not involve a lot of human interaction.

I guess he's a decent kind of guy.....but I don't feel like I know him. Partly because his Navy job kept him on the ship for months at a time, but also because he's not capable of emotional attachments.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Dad will be 59 on Friday and I cannot believe that he is that old!

My Dad was the oldest of 6 kids and his family moved around a lot growing up as they were pretty poor, in fact, his favorite meal is kielbasa, baked beans and buttered noodles, one of his family's main meals as it was cheap. My Dad served in Vietnam when he was 18 and has a lot of interesting stories about his time there, including one about a 25 foot long snake!

when he got back from Vietnam he worked for Ohio Bell/AT&T for 30 years before retiring and then worked for another telecommunications company called Lucent. Lucent laid him off about 4 years ago and he decided that he would just retire. Now he works at a golf course so he can golf for free and boy does he like to golf, he goes probably 3-4 times per week, much to my mother's chagrin

My mom and dad met at a bar one evening where Ohio Bell employess liked to hang out, they will be married 32 years next month
My father is also a recovering alcoholic, he has been sober for 24 years and is still very active in AA, he sponsors people to help them with their struggles.

My Dad is my hero, he made a great life for himself and his family (although I'm sure my mom had a lot to do with that too
) He is very intelligent and while on the surface he appears very gruff, he really is a big ole softy, especially when it come to his girls. My family is not very demonstrative in our love for each other, it's more understood than expressed, but it is very deep and true. I know my dad would do anything for me and I'm happy that I've now gotten to a place in my life where I can reciprocate.

sheesh, I could go on forever about my dad, but I'll just say that I love my Dad with all my heart and he is who I measure every guy I have ever met against, none have been able to compare

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Maybe there should be a tissue advisory for this thread?
I'll share mine!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I didn't know you have British blood in you Fran?. Where in England do you know?.

And aww that song he sang you is so lovely!
Yeah, it's sweet, isn't it. I bawl every time I hear it (or think of it, for that matter!
)

His father's family was in the Peterborough area, and his mother's in Kent. More precise than that I don't know. Mum was English born, too, in Brighton. Her family came to Canada when she was 7. So the blood is all Brit.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

His father's family was in the Peterborough area, and his mother's in Kent. More precise than that I don't know. Mum was English born, too, in Brighton. Her family came to Canada when she was 7. So the blood is all Brit.
I've passed through Peterborough sometimes on my way to London if the trains have to be diverted, and i have friends who live in Brighton which is a lovely place to visit

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad is the best handy man! He can make anything. He is very intelligent. He grew up working the farm. Now owns his own business. He is a great person and has been a great dad and I am so lucky!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

My dad is estranged and may not even come to my wedding.
I am sorry to hear that

I can kind of empathize, my father's parents disowned me and were not there for me when I needed them.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad was born in the 60s. He lives and works in Las Vegas at the Hilton. He's worked at hotels as long as I can remember.
He is an alcoholic and former drug addict/user. He has a frightening temper and has been fired from jobs because of it.
He is incredibly abusive and made my childhood a living hell by his own hand and by exposing me to other abusers. His parental rights have been severed from three of his four children. Even aside from his other issues, he just doesn't know how to be a father.
He put a permanent grudge in my heart not by what he did to me, but by throwing a 2 week old kitten against a wall and giving it brain damage. I will never forget being 7 years old and watching that, as well as trying to save my poor kitten, who died 2 days later.
My dad gave me my love of music, especially classic rock, and I am thankful for that and hold it dear, but I'm afraid there are rifts that will never go away.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mollysmom

He put a permanent grudge in my heart not by what he did to me, but by throwing a 2 week old kitten against a wall and giving it brain damage. I will never forget being 7 years old and watching that, as well as trying to save my poor kitten, who died 2 days later.
Reading this and the rest of the heartbreaking memories of some of your fathers is so sad

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My father was born in New Jersey. He was a child during the Great Depression, and his parents, though they had come from rich families, were dirt-poor. Dad grew up in the woods, in a shack, with no electricity nor running water. He was the starting quarterback on his high school football team, which set a unique record: no wins, no ties, AND no points scored during his last season! He loved to tell that story. He fought with the 28th PA ("The Bloody Buckets") in WWII, and met my Mom in England. My first brother, who is 20+ years older than me, was born in England.

After the War, he bought 1.25 acres for $200, using every cent he had. He and Mom each worked 2 jobs while they literally built their own house, and raised 2 boys. Dad never had a credit card, nor debt, so he wanted to never have a mortgage, either! He had no books, videos, etc. to show him how to build a house--he just used logical thinking and remembered what he saw from other houses being built. He first worked digging graves (by hand back then!), then in a steel mill, where he worked until he retired in the early 1980's.

Dad was always ashamed of not having a college education (though he was quite smart, IMHO), and ashamed of his house, saying it was just a "shack". He loved animals, especially cats and dogs. (He always said that he hated people and loved animals.) He was a talented artist, too. I have an oil painting he did of me when I was 4, gardening in our field.

Unfortunately, despite all of his remarkable and admirable qualities, he was very abusive toward me, mentally, verbally, and physically. He beat me savagely. I both hated him and loved him at the same time--does this make sense? However, when he died 10 years ago (this October), I did feel sorry for him. I even helped the hospice nurse bathe him, and prep him for the undertaker. I told him that I loved him, as I was combing his hair. Sadly, this was the only time in my life that I could show him any affection. Not because I never wanted to, but because he wouldn't let anyone love him. I think he enjoyed being hated.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My father is a physician. He is the youngest of his parents' 3 children and the only son. His father was an attorney who prior to his days of law, served in the Navy. His mother was I believe unemployed, but I'm not sure.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Reading this and the rest of the heartbreaking memories of some of your fathers is so sad
I agree. It's so sad when fathers are like that. . .
Thank you so much for the hugs.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dad is 69 years young. He was born to parents that were into rollerskating and trains both of which my father grew up loving. My grandparents owned a roller rink when I was young and my father dance skated (like figure skating on ice). He taught me to skate and to love learning and history. He's a total history buff and loves to hunt up little facts.

When I was born he and Mom owned a flower shop, to this day the smell of a good florist shop brings back memories. Since they know flowers they are going to do the flowers for my wedding.

After the flower shop daddy spent many years as a salesman in various fields, everything from chemicals to process microchips to janitorial supplies or car parts.

My dad taught me to be independent and to step up and fix what needs fixing so that if I ever had to be on my own I could do it myself.

Unfortunately He also taught me how to use drugs and drink. I knew the phone numbers of the local bars cuz after work that's where he and mom would hang out for a couple of hours. When I was a teen I used to swipe cocaine from him. Gratefully we both have seen the damage we were doing and have quit, but I wasn't a happy teenager because of the drugs.

He's now a grandfather of two and a great-grandfather of one. He's also a cat lover. I can't remember a time in my life when there weren't cats in our house. His all time favorite was Marmalade, she was a tortoiseshell that wormed her way into his heart. He spoiled that kitty rotten! He and mom now have DumDum. Now that's a whole other story...one weird kitty though!

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
My dad is a commercial and industrial insulator. He's 56 this year and I'm told by family members that I'm his clone.

Dad started as a steel worker at 16 because that was what his dad did and that was what boys were expected to do, but he got bored with it and trained as an electrician until he and mom had me. Then, of course, it was the middle of a recession and there was no work for electricians, so he became an insulator. Dad's nothing if not adaptable.

My dad is one of those people who knows everyone in a room within 10 minutes of walking in, but he's not terribly outgoing and would rather spend his time at home with his family than out in public.

My dad is one of the gentlest people I know. Grandpa took him hunting once and all he did was find a quiet spot to watch the wildlife all day and scare it away from the other hunters.
He and my mom rescue abused dogs and it still brings tears to my eyes to watch how easily he connects with them.

My dad has always been a firm believer in the "no daughter of mine is ever going to have to depend on a man" and is the main reason I know how to do most car and home repairs and generally have no qualms about doing them. He's also my fishing buddy...not that we ever catch anything, but we'll take the boat out into the middle of the lake and kick back with our books until we get hungry, then go for french fries and the floating chip truck.

I could tell stories about dad all night, but I'm sure everyone has somewhere else to be.
At the end of the day, Dad is one of the most influential people in my life and I love him dearly.
One of the best moments he ever gave me was when he walked my down the eisle at my wedding making goofy jokes under his breath so neither of us would cry.
That's my dad in a nutshell.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

My dad is estranged and may not even come to my wedding.
He is someone who shouldn't marry even though he tried 3x's and almost a 4th but she smartened up and moved out. His mother told my mother the day I was born that he wouldn't be a good father. She was right. I feel sorry for my half sister. I still haven't met her. I have such ill feelings toward my father that I can't bring myself to meet her.

I almost had to contact him after 20 years of not speaking to him. Thank goodness for facebook and finding my estranged cousin. His mother contacted me via phone. We also don't speak. She apparently has dementia. I contacted my cousin of her condition and she speaks to my father regularly.

This is the first time in 20 years I can celebrate father's day not b/c of my father but for the father of my son. It's a happy day again.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My father is 87 years old. He was the youngest of a large family of 9 siblings. His family wanted him to become a priest but he refused and paid his way to become an accountant. After he married, he became a foreign diplomat. He served as the Philippine commercial attache in Argentina, Mexico, and the US. After 15 years of service, he returned home and was elected governor of his province. He served 3 4-year terms. He is now active being a regional commander of the Philippine Veterans Association.