Wholesome, Crave vs "Lucky Charms" Purina Pro Plan

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have quite a crew.... They eat Crave Chicken for dry and various premium wet foods. They are particular about some new bags of Crave when I open a new bag. I get four lb bags so it is always fresh.

A month ago I got bag of Purina Pro Plan by mistake. I finally fed it the other day and they love it. The ingredient lists are like healthy breakfast vs Lucky Charms ! I just can't bring myself to change?

Crave

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Pea Protein, Split Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tapioca, Fish Meal, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Potato Protein, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Natural Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid (preservatives), Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract.

Caloric Content
3788 kcal/kg, 402 kcal/cup

Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice

Chicken, Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry By-product Meal, Wheat Flour, Dried Egg Product, Beef Fat Preserved With Mixed-tocopherols, Soy Protein Concentrate, Natural Flavor, Fish Meal, Inulin, Potassium Chloride, Phosphoric Acid, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Caramel Color, Choline Chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K)], Taurine, Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], L-lysine Monohydrochloride, Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product. L462319.

Caloric Content
4,358 kcal/kg, 494 kcal/cup

Thanks for reading all the way through.... But any suggestions ?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I mean, it's dependant on your definition of healthy.

I wouldn't touch Crave with the pea protein or split peas in there. Studies on legumes and heart health for cats are only in-progress and Magnus has a congenital heart issue that puts him at higher risk. I can't find that Crave has any longitudinal studies on their food.

Purina looks fine to me; it's mostly vitamins and minerals. My cats did fine on it. They'd still be on it if it wasn't for a beef allergy. There's pre-biotics (wheat and corn) and probiotics (last ingredient). Further, Purina has a longitudinal (long term) study on their cat food and updated their other recipes to match, including the chicken and rice formula.

Comparing, Crave has 5 non-meat ingredients vs Purina's 4. I'd have to see the nutritional profile to compare sodium as well. Personally, I view the Crave as "Lucky Charms" over the Purina.

What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

9-Year Longevity Study in Cats | Purina Institute

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hm, I was thinking the corn gluten meal and wheat flour and chicken byproduct meal were lower quality.
Not trying to get in a big debate... just looking for different opinions 🙃

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hm, I was thinking the corn gluten meal and wheat flour and chicken byproduct meal were lower quality.
Not trying to get in a big debate... just looking for different opinions 🙃
For sure! 😊 That's just what I look at and my reasoning.