Whoa! (Geek warning: Genealogy)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man... so I'm noticing, by my mothers' records, that the Mormon thing goes back further than Lorenzo... in fact there were several branches before him, with a little polygamy thrown in...

I've entered in nearly two mroe generations into ANcestry.

Someone mentioned (sorry, brain cells are now officially caffeine-deprived) that I should get it assembled offline as well... one thing to consider, I'm on a Mac, not a PC. And there aren't as many programs out there for the Mac. One, which looks cool, is about half the other one (50 and 100). I don't have the cash right now to do this... someday, possibly. Now, if Ancestry offered a Mac version of the software in their store, I'd look into buying it... but they're obviously biased toward the PC folk... oh well... many branches are dying off in a few pages, literally... but some (hint: Mormons) keep going...

well, back to the trenches...

Amanda

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhhhh, how does one go about starting up a tree? And what is the best software, or even better web based geneology? I just tried the roots one and I couldn't figure out how to work on my tree, like the link to go into edit mode... and I am pretty swift with the internet!

You guys shouldn't have mentioned this, LOL, between that and this forum it is a wonder I ever leave my computer!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

It's why I'm letting my dh do most of this...he's thorough, determined and just one of the best people I've ever met for solving puzzles
He's commented with great frustration on the difficulty in tracing women in a family tree...they come up as Mrs.x...no maiden, no nothing...it can be very difficult to find their maiden name/parents etc. sometimes.

He's documenting using multiple sources when possible.
Oh...another frustration? The folks with tiny handwriting or elegant indescipherable longhand
on these census records.
My paternal grandfather had a cousin who would only take info on the males! (We had the family Bible.)

As for handwriting - you must have seen the writing of the person who did my area in 1930 (with my Mom's first census listing).

Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Man... so I'm noticing, by my mothers' records, that the Mormon thing goes back further than Lorenzo... in fact there were several branches before him, with a little polygamy thrown in...

Someone mentioned (sorry, brain cells are now officially caffeine-deprived) that I should get it assembled offline as well... one thing to consider, I'm on a Mac, not a PC. And there aren't as many programs out there for the Mac. One, which looks cool, is about half the other one (50 and 100). I don't have the cash right now to do this... someday, possibly. Now, if Ancestry offered a Mac version of the software in their store, I'd look into buying it... but they're obviously biased toward the PC folk... oh well... many branches are dying off in a few pages, literally... but some (hint: Mormons) keep going...

Amanda
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Ohhhhhhh, how does one go about starting up a tree? And what is the best software, or even better web based geneology? I just tried the roots one and I couldn't figure out how to work on my tree, like the link to go into edit mode... and I am pretty swift with the internet!

You guys shouldn't have mentioned this, LOL, between that and this forum it is a wonder I ever leave my computer!
Until I get genealogy software I have my records in Word files. Each one lists the parents and children and any info I have found including family lore. Works for me and might be a good starting place for you.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Amanda
http://www.latterdaymac.com/lds_soft...story/paf.html

Totally free software from the Mormons.

I wouldn't buy the Ancestry software FTM 2008, unless they've improved it since it's release. I upgraded when it first came out, but I'm back to using 2006.

The PAF software from the Mormon's is a really good one, IMO, especially when you consider the price.

One of the issues I have with entering your data into the Ancestry site is that apparently there's no way to create a GED file from it. One of DH's cousins is doing it that way and wanted to share her info with another researcher. She asked for DH's help (a virtual expert in all things web-based genealogy related), and he said there's no way to do it. It's also kind of a personal thing with me, since they're using your research on their site and charging money to join the site. I have no problem sharing my research with anyone, but it just doesn't seem right that Ancestry.com is profiting from our work.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

You can keep your notes any way that's convenient for you, hand written, in a Word file, etc. But I would recommend you (1) keep it very organized and (2) don't let it stack up too much before you get software to keep it in. Believe me, it gets cumbersome very quickly.

I've been recommending PAF software on here, because it's free and I think it's very good. I use Family Tree Maker because that's what I started with ages ago and it works well for me. I don't like the latest version, though, unless they've fixed some of the issues.

You can go on the message boards on Rootsweb.com (Ancestry's free site) to see what people are saying about the various kinds of software that's available. http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.software/mb.ashx

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love this kinda stuff

I'm related to the duke of northcumberland

and i'm related to 2 sets of Donnelly's so the black Donnelly's might be in there somewhere

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just make sure that she documented her "finds" or that you do. and becareful of what you find on the internet. There are people out there who will submit correct info along with a few errors. So always verify the info.
Exactly! I found info on my Grandmother and her family that was completely wrong. I know it's wrong because I knew my Grandmother for over 40 years! I don't know where some folks come up with the stuff they post online as "facts".

Geez, it seems as if DH and I are the only people in the world not related to someone famous! Ok, I"m from the Hopkins line that came over on the Mayflower, but you can't really call that famous.