who says cats are the main cause of bird decline?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday afternoon, I heard birds chirping like crazy. I went out to the garden and found a pair flying over a fledgling. It must have gotten tired and fell to the grass and its parents were frantic. I picked the baby up and realized that even with all the noise not one of my cats went out to investigate. But after a while seeing me outside, San and Panda joined me. San just sat down but Panda was the only one who noticed the parents and ran around looking up at them. The birds were not even scared. They flew low over Panda. I think they were trying to lure her away from their baby. Anyway, I placed the fledgling on the grass outside the property. Went in the house followed by the dog, San and Panda (who seemed to have gotten bored with the chase or maybe got pecked by an angry bird). After a few minutes I checked outside. I saw three birds flying overhead. Two adults and a tiny one. I also looked at the spot where I placed the little bird. It was empty. 

The rest of my feline crew were hanging around the house. Ni was napping. Buddy was grooming himself and Cali was playing with a toy. Maybe it wasn't the right time of the day to explore the outside. I am sure though, that bird hunting is not an item in their list of daily activities.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww!  I know my mother's cats are afraid of the birds in the area because they've dive-bombed them enough times! Those birds trained the cats!

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had cats all my life and i'm yet to have a cat that hunts birds....birds are tricky things to catch as they fly...cats don't!

i've had the odd mouse,and a few worms...but never a bird.

its annoys be that cats get blamed for the de-crease in birds population...as i think cats will become extinct long before birds ever will...

cats are neutered...birds are not....every year 100's of birds hatch....so if the odd cat kills the odd bird....how can cats be to blame..???

i'm sure if cats grew wings then they may have a better chance at catching one...but thats not going to happen really..lol

as humans we are the top of the food chain....but birds,mice,rabbits etc...fall way below cats on the food chain.....cats are meat eaters like us....fact.....its not cruel if a cat does catch a bird or a mouse...its nature...it was designed that way...

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It all depends on the cat I suppose.  Callista once sat watched a very confused bat fly around my apartment for two hours, never made a move to chase it.  Jasio, on the other hand, is a confirmed bird-killer; and he is an indoor cat!  Poor sparrow that flew into my porch didn't have a chance. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  Jasio, on the other hand, is a confirmed bird-killer; and he is an indoor cat!  Poor sparrow that flew into my porch didn't have a chance. :(
Oh I've had birds (and bats) fly into the house and the cats then become the predators they are. I don't understand why can't the birds just fly back out from the open window or door where they came in. They panic and start flying around bumping into walls and ceiling . I have a bug net handy for these occasions. I net them and release them back outside. But sometimes, I am too late. The bird has been caught. 

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only got one bird as a present.  I see more dead birds in the road-hit by car as odd as that sounds.