Who Is Smarter, Cats Or Dogs?

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since some members here are also dog owners, I decided to do a little opinion poll that was inspired by a recent article in my local paper. www.postbulletin.com

Reigning:
Cats or Dogs ?

By Andrea Faiad

After years of debate, we decided to get to the bottom of this recurring argument: Who's smarter, cats or dogs?

Naturally, we consulted the experts. First up, a veterinarian one recent Friday.

"I think as far as we measure intelligence and what we think of as intelligence, I think dogs are probably capable of learning more, and therefore I think we would define them as being more intelligent," says John Myhrom, veterinarian, Animal Health Care Veterinary Clinic in Rochester.

Then the owner of three dogs and two cats added: "Of course, you also have to toss in there the factor of a willingness to learn. Perhaps, cats are just as capable of learning but being as they're not as domesticated as dogs are, they're not quite as willing to learn what we want them to learn."

Two steps forward and two steps back.

Maybe a zookeeper will take us forward? We call Tom Ryan, supervisor of Oxbow Park In Byron.

"I'm a cat person," he says. After a pause, he barrels forward: "For instance, if dogs were smarter, how come you always have to take them to a kennel but you can leave the cats to fend for themselves for a few days? I'll bet dogs are much easier to train, but I'm not so sure that's a measure of their intellect."

He turns to his colleagues: "Hey guys, who's smarter, cats or dogs?"

Long pause. He returns to the phone with glee.

"It's two to one here--cats," Ryan says.

The defensive voice of the lone dog vote, Pat Gerken, parks construction supervisor at Oxbow, calls from behind Ryan: "Does the sheriff's department have a cat to catch a bad guy? No. A cat to sniff drugs? No."

Cats take the lead

Cats are winning, but the victory is not decisive. Surely, a reference librarian at the Rochester Public Library will be able to tell us.

"Let me see if I can find something, can you hold on a moment?" says Rhonda Lorenz, reference librarian.

She returns a few minutes later, and promises to call back with an answer.

Meanwhile, we call Jane Roden, president of the Mower County Humane Society.

"It depends," she says. "Cats manipulate you much more; I don't know if that means they're smarter or not. Dogs are more willing to do something for you, but I think cats tend to say, 'What's in it for me?'"

Roden, who owns two cats, pauses, then chuckles: "I remember reading someplace once that the only reason cats let themselves get domesticated was so people would open doors for them."

Cats widen the gap. Still looking for a definitive defeat, we call in the experts of all experts, Mayo Clinic. Heck, people come from around the world for their help, why shouldn't we?

"I don't know," says Mayo Clinic spokesperson John Mruphy, laughing. "Let me think about that. Can I call you right back?"

Maybe a neurosurgeon knows? Murphy promises to find us an expert and think about his own answer.

Lorenz calls back; 20 minutes have passed. She cites an excerpt from an article that quotes Kansas State University veterinarian Kathy Gaughan as saying both creatures are smart. The vet's quote explains that while dogs are trained to track people and drugs, cats could be trained, but their "personalities and size can make the task more challenging."

Diminishing lead

So much for Gerken's passionate argument--and for the feline lead.

We let the matter rest until Monday morning, when Murphy calls back. He asks if someone from neurosurgery contacted us yet.

No, but what does he think?

"Let me think for a second," says Murphy, laughing. "I'll call you back."

Instead of chasing Mayo's tail, we call Rochester's Animal Control department. They must know, they catch both as part of their profession.

"The easiest to train is a dog," says Sgt. Rob Schei, supervisor of Animal Control. "But as far as intelligence-wise, I think they are fairly comparable."

Seeing this cycle, we hang up disillusioned. Is there no answer?

Moments later, the phone rings...

Will it be an omniscient being with the truth, the one who can give us the definitive answer to this very important question? Will Roden's and Ryan's cats finally cross the line and outdistance those eager-to-please-but-trainable canines?

Murphy's referred the matter to Dr. Edward Creagan, professor of medical oncology at Mayo Clinic.

"As an owner of two golden retrievers and one cat, it depends on whether you ask the dog or the cat," Creagan says.

So much for that.

We give up: they're both smart.

The newspaper also conducted person-on-the-street interviews. Out of nine people, six said dogs are smarter, two said cats are smarter, and one said they have equal intelligence.

Your opinion?????

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends upon the animal. I've had some really stupid cats and I used to babysit one of the smartest dogs ever, but on the whole I'd say more cats are smarter than most dogs.

G

ghostuser

Actually I was watching a programme on animal intelligence on the Discovery channel one day and this is what they said:
The standard rule for measuring intelligence is the ratio of grey matter to spinal cord. So according to this theory, it's humans first, second monkeys and then after monkeys domestic cats.
So i think what this means is that as a general rule the average cat is potentially smarter than the average dog. Perhaps this explains why small dogs whom i'm guessing have a similar ratio of spinal cord to grey matter as cats are generally smarter than bigger dogs.

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say cats because they crap in private and cover their crap, unlike dogs who crap anywhere and everywhere and you end up stepping in it!
Having a yard surrounded by dog lovers, this is a nuisance!

pythagorus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A cat wouldn't be idea for chasing criminals most likely because of their size. And also, I think dogs have a better sense of smell than cats, which would explain why they are used for sniffing out drugs over felines. I don't think those factors have much to do with intellegence.

Perhaps the intellegence of cats and dogs differ with their personality, and saying one is smarter than the other would be like saying women are smarter than men.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Jellybelly
I say cats because they crap in private and cover their crap, unlike dogs who crap anywhere and everywhere and you end up stepping in it!
Having a yard surrounded by dog lovers, this is a nuisance!
Good point. Cats don't eat poop either.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had cats who could work out complex problems, such as opening doors and moving objects to a precise spot to knock onto an unsuspecting head.

To date, none of my dogs has even learned how to work a relatively easy gate latch. No matter how many times that she's been hissed at, spat at and clawed, Pearl persists on trying to play with Opie.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First things first: I am as much a dog person as I am a cat person. I've lived with dogs, I will one day have a dog, but they don't at this point fit my lifestyle. Cats do, and have earned their way into a permanent place in it.

That said, I do believe cats are smarter. You can teach them stuff, just as well as you can a dog. The psychology is different: a dog will do it to please you; a cat has to know what's in it for him. The big difference, I think, is how much and how fast a cat learns on her own -- how she draws her own conclusions.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a dog person because i have always thought of them as mindless.. Sure they can take commands, any fool can (See bush for example), but that's all they do. Cats are smart, cats know how to get what they want. Dogs beg, cats scheme. I view cats as clever while dogs are pathetic..

(sorry to any dog people!!! I actually have a dog phobia so maybe that's why I detest them so!)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both Dogs & Cats.

I voted Dogs- Dogs can be trained to do everything and my dogs & I do agility everyday - I have taught mine tricks, like fetching, barking on cue and putting 2 paws up. I love my cats dearly but haven't yet trained them to do anything.

I say Dogs!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by annabelle33
I am not a dog person because i have always thought of them as mindless.. Sure they can take commands, any fool can (See bush for example), but that's all they do. Cats are smart, cats know how to get what they want. Dogs beg, cats scheme. I view cats as clever while dogs are pathetic..

(sorry to any dog people!!! I actually have a dog phobia so maybe that's why I detest them so!)
Hi Anna-
I'm sorry I no you didn't mean to offend anyone, but I'm offended, firstly I'm not a dog person, I'm an Animal Lover - Dog's are anything but mindless-

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I stand with Sam on this one.......but then again I have been around dogs my whole life. My father was a Police k-9 trainer. He is also well known in the Police k-9 society. How many cats can you train to sniff out bombs? or drugs? can you train a cat to attach on command to save yours or someone you love's life? I think not. and as far as I know there has never been a cat "trained" for it or anything else. Cats may be smart in certain ways but Dogs are smarter in others. I consider them to be somewhat equal in intelligence. It just depends on if it's "street smarts" or "book smarts". Dog's have street smarts cat's have Book smarts.

But I did vote that Dogs are smarter.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by WillowsMom
I stand with Sam on this one.......but then again I have been around dogs my whole life. My father was a Police k-9 trainer. He is also well known in the Police k-9 society. How many cats can you train to sniff out bombs? or drugs? can you train a cat to attach on command to save yours or someone you love's life? I think not. and as far as I know there has never been a cat "trained" for it or anything else. Cats may be smart in certain ways but Dogs are smarter in others. I consider them to be somewhat equal in intelligence. It just depends on if it's "street smarts" or "book smarts". Dog's have street smarts cat's have Book smarts.

But I did vote that Dogs are smarter.
When my German Shepard puppy & I were in the newspaper some place rung us up wanting to take Soul for the police dogs, we were thrilled they had asked but couldn't let them have our Soulie

Dogs = Smart.
Cats= Cool,Calm & Collected.

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a big honor!!!! most departments are very picky about the dogs they want! The dogs have to have just the right characteristics (sp?) Heck even when I was growing up and we went to just get a family dog we had to do what's known as the Puppy test. and when departments look for k-9's the do the same thing. So they must have seen someting in Soul that they liked and wanted! Feel PROUD!

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think training shows intelligence though. Look at humans. The most intelligent ones we think of (like Einstein) would fail in the training department (he flunked out of highschool), but the ones we would consider as stupid are easily trained.

I go by how the animal reacts to its environment. The smart dog I mentioned could figure anything out. His owners also had a dumb dog, a very dumb dog. But I've also seen these differences in cats, I've just met more smart cats than I have dogs.

And I like both.