Who here doesn't have a car?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I had heard of zipcar and forgot about it again. Hopefully it is in my area. I live right outside Boston so hopefully I am close enough to get access. I won't need it often but it will be helpful when/if I do.

I hope the commute gets easier for you!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a car (or a license). I live very near 'everything' I need, and there are pretty good public transportations to other places. Of course I won't say no if someone offers a ride, I do prefer traveling in a car instead of a train/bus.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked up zipcar. I would have to take a combo or bus and subway to get to the nearest car. It would take about an hour. But I can rent a car for a weekend (two days) for about $80 USD. They also have locations near my work and home. So thats not so bad. If I need to do anything...which I never do.

luci_sushi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a license but no car, I'm too scared to drive especially by myself.

I just bike around for transportation, fun and exercise. Bringing my cats to the vet is no problem because I have a bike trailer and rear rack. Going to the pet store and carry two cases of canned cat food is okay, I just hate climbing the steep hills. I also make my brother come with me so he can carry a case.

When it gets too cold or the weather is bad my mom drives me.
I get my mom to drive me the tractor store to stock up on litter for the year.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are a one car family too, he uses it for work so I very rarely use the car.

We have public transit here, it isnt amazing but if you time it right I can get pretty much anywhere I want. I take the GO Train into Toronto for work anyway and we carpool at the shelter so it has rarely been an issue for me.

If he is away working, as he has been a lot this summer, I do get a taxi back from the grocery store / petstore (they are beside each other)

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I thought the title said "Who here doesn't have a cat?"
That would be a very short thread.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Luci_Sushi

I have a license but no car, I'm too scared to drive especially by myself.

I just bike around for transportation, fun and exercise. Bringing my cats to the vet is no problem because I have a bike trailer and rear rack. Going to the pet store and carry two cases of canned cat food is okay, I just hate climbing the steep hills. I also make my brother come with me so he can carry a case.

When it gets too cold or the weather is bad my mom drives me.
I get my mom to drive me the tractor store to stock up on litter for the year.
OMG! How do your cats handle being on the back of the bike? I would be so amused if I saw someone doing that!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

OMG! How do your cats handle being on the back of the bike? I would be so amused if I saw someone doing that!
How about the front of a bike?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

I've seen people with cat carriers strapped to the backs of bikes, but don't think I want to try it.

My train line has been closed for a couple of months due to maintenance, so I've been commuting by bus and train. Yesterday I thought I was hearing things on the bus, because I swore I heard a backpack meowing. It turns out I did - the guy sitting next to me takes his cat to a veterinary clinic in the city by bus every week. He told me she likes the backpack (with mesh sides) better than a carrier.

I guess even our fur babies can do without cars.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went over a year and four months without a car..And at one point my mom was driving over twenty minutes one way to pick me up for work and then whenever I got off work she was taking me back home. Last year we moved closer to her town and it shortened to being about 15 minutes from her house but it was still a pain because being a waitress I had no guarentee on what time I was getting off work. After going thru all of that for what seemed like forever I dont want to go without a car again its too stressful making sure we dont run out of milk smokes cat food litter dog stuff groceries..etc...Atleast now we have the freedom to go get milk if we are running out because walking five miles to the closest store isnt an option for either of us because people drive on our road like maniacs and there are no sidewalks on country roads.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat on the bike is the cutest thing!

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have a car nor a license. I go everywhere using public transportation. Being in downtown Chicago it costs more to keep a car.

I'm in the process of getting a license for emergency situations & in case we want to get out of city for a day or two