who else lives somewhere where they hide their cats?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why apartment buildings won't let them has cats. Dogs mess the place up more than cats do.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know why apartment buildings won't let them has cats. Dogs mess the place up more than cats do.
I don't rent so as long as I don't cause a public health hazard I guess I could have as many pets as I wanted (assuming not illegally obtained). Most properties in my block are rented and the rental agreements usually state no pets. I live in an apartment with real bad sound insulation and can't get over how it's OK for people to have dogs: not only do some of them wreck the places they stay in if not well trained, they also bark loudly and often for long periods of time. Two flat owners had dogs in this block for a while and it drove everyone nuts coz they left them in on their own most of the day and the barking went on the whole time.

Far too much concern about the damage cats can do to property. At least in the UK declawing isn't legal so you can't get rental agreements that put that in as a condition.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in an apartment (a rather overpriced one, at that...hopefully giving notice this weekend!!) ... we have 2 cats and a dog and haven't paid any pet fees or pet rent. It's $300/pet, maximum 2 pets. Plus $20/mo extra per dog and $10/extra a month per cat. I'm pretty sure the property manager has seen both cats in the window, and us walking the dog, but I don't think they're as strict as some places. There are also a lot of large breeds here that are restricted. One apartment has a mastiff! I'm worried about when we give our notice if they will say anything about the pets... we plan on having Colin's mom watch the dog, and hopefully they will come do the walk through the same day as notice so I can just put the cats in the carrier in the car and take them on a little drive around town until they're gone. I don't have anyone to watch them here. I dont know what we are going to do when we move to another complex (about $450/mo cheaper!!) for the next 6mos while we save to buy a house so we dont have to worry about pet fees/pet rent!

meejay22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my cat a year after I moved out on my own and it was a no cats apartment complex. I had just gotten a new job so I moved from the smallest to the largest unit and got a cat. I was so lonely that first year without any pets (well, I had a hamster- totally not the same) that I vowed I would never be pet-less again. I told management I didn't trust their crew and they legally are obligated to give me 24 hrs notice before entering and only enter when I was home. When the furnace filters needed changed, I picked it up and installed it myself. If something broke, it waited until a day I could be home and put the cat in the closet.

Funny thing is, my sister was my roommate and was supposed to hide the cat one day. She took a nap instead. She woke up to a huge burly guy in her doorway going "oh my gosh, you are just too cute!" He was talking to my cat. Our secret was safe with him from then on :)

FFW 4 years: DH and I moved to an apartment that allows cats for a $300 security deposit and $25 a month fee. We told them we had a cat, when she drew up the lease, she didn't add it and we were not going to beg to pay more. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freaknpink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well it was that time to renew my lease again and I expressed my interest to my landlord that I wanted a two bedroom. (Mostly so the cats have more room to run) I also found a place that would allow all of them with just one 200 deposit.. I really like it here but didn't wanna hide my cats...so I came clean and she's looking the other way..phew so relieved now.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Well it was that time to renew my lease again and I expressed my interest to my landlord that I wanted a two bedroom. (Mostly so the cats have more room to run) I also found a place that would allow all of them with just one 200 deposit.. I really like it here but didn't wanna hide my cats...so I came clean and she's looking the other way..phew so relieved now.
Oh, good for you. Your landlord must reckon it's better to have good human + feline tenants they know than risk changing to unknown humans who might trash the place.
  Very wise.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In Ontario it's not legal to say no pets OR ask for a deposit of any kind, other than first and last month's rent, but a lot of places will try to get away with it anyways. 

When I moved out of my parents house for college, I specifically asked the landlords if pets were ok because I had a guinea pig and I wanted to bring my family's dog up to visit on weekends. He was fine with it, in the lease it said that we had to spray for bugs when we moved but that never happened. 

The second place I moved to was an apartment, it was pet friendly. It was sold while I lived there and they started getting stricter about pets. I had one dog when I moved in and three years later, when I was moving out, had three dogs and a cat. 

The next place was a smaller pet friendly apartment, I would have the dogs on the balcony with me and sometimes the cats. My neighbour complained about the dogs being on the balcony, but nothing ever came of it (they were always with me, she hated us for some reason). 

When we moved where we are now, the lease said no pets. I had asked the landlord specifically when we called to inquire if pets were ok, he said it was fine as long as there weren't any problems. 

One thing that I found helped with the dogs was if they have their Canine Good Neighbour or Canine Good Citizen (CKC or AKC) certificates. When I mentioned those, people seemed to be a lot more open to pets. They also assumed that since the dogs had those certificates that we take good care of our cats too. I also mentioned how often I scoop the litter and pointed out where I would be putting the boxes, they were often surprised at how many boxes we have and liked the locations (easy to clean if they miss, out of the way, etc). I also always volunteered to have the new landlords come and see the place that I was moving out of so they could meet my pets and see what the living conditions were like. No one ever took me up on the offer but it seemed to help that I was willing to let them in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freaknpink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, good for you. Your landlord must reckon it's better to have good human + feline tenants they know than risk changing to unknown humans who might trash the place.:clap:   Very wise.

Yeah she pretty much said she didn't want to lose me over that because I'm a great tenant. She's giving out evictions left and right. What's a few extra cats to someone who's going to pay rent and most likely stay for another 3 years. I think it might of also helped that she's a bit of a cat person also. Lol