Who are we kidding - rescues listing DSH's under breeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm getting ready to list my tabby boys and put them up for adoption. One of the woman I am fostering with advised me to list them as Bengal mixes to get a lot of hits.

Now here is my problem, there isn't an ounce of bengal in these kittens. They are very much Classic Brown Tabbies and they don't act in any way bengal-ish.

I have seen bengals that look a little classic tabbies, but I know that is not what people normally think of them as looking like either.

I can see the logistics of listing DSH's under different breeds to get more hits, and because sometimes the genuinely do look like a breed cat, even if they aren't very likely to have any pure blood in them.

But I've also myself seen plenty of dogs/cats listed under headings that they don't suit at all. And then it's like, Who are we kidding?

What do other people think? Should I list them as bengal mixes for the hits? Or go with my gut?

I'm new to this aspect of fostering, so let me know what you think.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eatrawfish

I'm getting ready to list my tabby boys and put them up for adoption. One of the woman I am fostering with advised me to list them as Bengal mixes to get a lot of hits.

Now here is my problem, there isn't an ounce of bengal in these kittens. They are very much Classic Brown Tabbies and they don't act in any way bengal-ish.

I have seen bengals that look a little classic tabbies, but I know that is not what people normally think of them as looking like either.

I can see the logistics of listing DSH's under different breeds to get more hits, and because sometimes the genuinely do look like a breed cat, even if they aren't very likely to have any pure blood in them.

But I've also myself seen plenty of dogs/cats listed under headings that they don't suit at all. And then it's like, Who are we kidding?

What do other people think? Should I list them as bengal mixes for the hits? Or go with my gut?

I'm new to this aspect of fostering, so let me know what you think.
Sorry, but that is just one of the many ways that rescue's and shelters get a bad name for themselves among breeders. You'd be surprised how many people I've had call me up asking me if they indeed have adopted a bengal-mix. They sure get disappointed alot.
A moggie is a moggie and should be identified as such. There is nothing wrong with that.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i would feel uncomfortable doing that. you could put down that they look like bengals, if you want, but to me, the term 'bengal mix' implies that an ancestor was a bengal. i think you'd get just as good of results by putting classic brown tabby - people who want a bengal, but aren't willing to pay for one, & would take you boys onlys with that label, are probably not the kind of parents you're looking for anyway.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on what you are actually calling a "mix" and how likely it is. A mixed breed cat with very long, fine hair and a mellow temperament is pretty likely to actually be a Persian mix, while a brown tabby with a few random spots is probably not a Bengal mix!

And of course, you have the cats with points and blue eyes who are certainly going to be listed as Siamese mixes even with completely unknown pedigrees. That's fine by me.

My personal pet peeve is calling anything SH and gray a "Russian Blue". This is especially irritating when there are other colored kittens in the litter!

But as far as I am concerned, as long as you are listing the cat as a "lookalike" or "DSH/(breed) mix" or "wanna-be", I'd say anything that gets people interested in a cat is fine with me - IF you are spaying and neutering everyone before adoption! The last thing we need is more animals to become fodder for BYB's!

Realistically, many people who have a breed in mind really care more about the "look" than the actual pedigree. And if marketing a cat as a breed mix (even if it is a little dubious) makes them likely to adopt that cat rather than go to a pet store or BYB - then it seems like a win-win situation to me.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Sorry, but that is just one of the many ways that rescue's and shelters get a bad name for themselves among breeders. You'd be surprised how many people I've had call me up asking me if they indeed have adopted a bengal-mix. They sure get disappointed alot.
A moggie is a moggie and should be identified as such. There is nothing wrong with that.
Sometimes it truly is an honest mistake....rescuers aren't geneticists and sometimes they simply rely on someone to tell them what the cat "looks" like. If a cat "looks" siamese...I don't see the harm in calling it a siamese mix....potential adoptors are usually the ones who are like "oh, look at the siamese over there".

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, you backed me up, which is what I was looking for.

There has to be some way of differentiating DSH's so that someone who wants a rescue kitty who looks like a siamese can find them. But I draw the line at listing anything that is brown under siamese, or claiming that they are a pedagreed siamese.

This seems to be too obvious ploy to hit on a fad. So as far as I am concerned I have three gorgeous classic brown tabbies, and a gray/brown mackeral tabby.

I do feel I have to point out Kai Bengals, that rescues are not the only people who claim their cats are pedagreed when they are not. But I agree it is an unattractive quality.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And then there are those of us like me, who`s all time favorite is a gray tabby anyhow!
I`d just be as honest as i could be in saying what I actually thought they were.
Linda

ashleynicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it should be listed truthfully. But you could definately mention that it "looks" or "acts" like a certain breed. Like when I went to adopt my kitty at a shelter, she was part of a litter of probable Manxs. I say probably b/c I know there are people on here who get mad when a tailless cat is called a Manx, but she not only has a stub-tail, but many other qualities as well. Anyways, I think it would have been helpful if the shelter would have mentioned this in the listing! But do what you feel in your gut, I'm sure you'll make sure your kitties get to good homes.

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I get sick to death of seeing cats listed as breeds when they are so clearly not! Be honest guys
Well, it depends on how you mean that.

I get tired of seeing Short Haired kitties listed under Main Coone and that sort of thing.

But I think it is useful to distinguish between DSH's. I mean, imagine petfinder if people only listed according to what they were certain. There would be an impossible numbers of DSH/DLH's.

But I guess the key would be to define them as "looking like" a siamese/persian/maine coon, etc. and not BEING them.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I get sick to death of seeing cats listed as breeds when they are so clearly not! Be honest guys
As I stated before....rescuers aren't geneticists...so we rely on what a cat looks like....obviously there are some cats that clearly moggies and not purebred mixes. But there are some cats that clearly have traits that look like a purebred and I have no issue with stated it is a "mix".

Katie

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not lie - but there are ways of stating it ' mixed breed with Siamese colouring and traits', or 'Long-haired mix with Persian-type face' or whatever, then those who are looking for those types know what they are getting.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who needs a pedigree? Truly, moggies are absolutely wonderful cats and alley cats have a special place in my heart personally, and I hear that sentiment resounding on this board quite often...you should be proud that these guys are what they are! They are beautiful, wonderful cats!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This has been something that irks me for quite a while actually - since you've asked, my opinion is that NO cat of unknown heritage should be described as a cat of known heritage ... if that makes sense. To just automagically describe any pointed cat that comes through as a Siamese mix or any spotted Tabby as a Bengal mix or any longhaired cat as a Persian mix or any really large cat as a Maine Coon mix is just wrong.

By doing so, you are playing on appearance when that shouldn't ever be the draw. This is, IMO, a big mistake. The draw should be the cat's temperament, good health, desirable personality/traits. Additionally, you are in essence, promoting a certain breed and this is where the relationship between breeder and rescue gets murky. If you are going to hold breeders to a higher standard of honesty and integrity, then hold yourself there too. It is only fair.

Try describing them as "healthy, beautiful, curious and playful, fun-loving Brown Spotted Tabbies".

I sincerely wish you the best of luck,

~gf~

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Try describing them as "healthy, beautiful, curious and playful, fun-loving Brown Spotted Tabbies".

I sincerely wish you the best of luck,
I actually described them as Beautiful Tabby Boys and as of last night William and Spice are now Hunter and Shiloh, and living with a lovely woman. She was actually interested in Bengals but decided she'd rather rescue tabbies (I did not mention Bengals - she did).

James and Francis will be harder since they both seem to have mild neurological damage and are very shy even after I've had them two months. But perhaps I can advertise them as being slightly special needs and get interest that way.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eatrawfish

I actually described them as Beautiful Tabby Boys and as of last night William and Spice are now Hunter and Shiloh, and living with a lovely woman. She was actually interested in Bengals but decided she'd rather rescue tabbies (I did not mention Bengals - she did).

James and Francis will be harder since they both seem to have mild neurological damage and are very shy even after I've had them two months. But perhaps I can advertise them as being slightly special needs and get interest that way.
Wonderful news that Hunter and Shiloh are in their forever homes!

As for James and Francis, there are a lot of people who prefer a special-needs companion to care for. It is my guess you won't be waiting too long for just the right people for them.

Again, my continued best,

~gf~

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By doing so, you are playing on appearance when that shouldn't ever be the draw. This is, IMO, a big mistake. The draw should be the cat's temperament, good health, desirable personality/traits. Additionally, you are in essence, promoting a certain breed and this is where the relationship between breeder and rescue gets murky. If you are going to hold breeders to a higher standard of honesty and integrity, then hold yourself there too. It is only fair.
Gaye...we could go into circles on this one...especially when we talk about who is considered a "breeder" and what is considered integrity. I for one will continue to support my rescue group when they list a cat as a "mix". We rarely have cats that come in with that description and the people who adopt understand that we are unsure of the heritage of the cat and that the "mix" is listed for the characteristics.

Katie

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Gaye...we could go into circles on this one...especially when we talk about who is considered a "breeder".....most people who adopt understand that a MIX is different from a purebred. I for one will continue to support my rescue group when they list a cat as a "mix".

Katie
Mornin' Katie! *smile*

Yes, I know we can (and actually have) gone rounds on this topic, but I still hold to my opinion about it. As I have maintained all along, we have to change the perception of who (and most importantly WHAT) breeders are so that the general pet owning population understands the difference.

I respectfully disagree that "most people who adopt understand that a MIX is different from a purebred". Just take a look here in the Breeder's Forum to see all of the "What Breed Is My Cat" posts. There is a large number of people who see a cat which might look like a Siamese but hasn't the first bloody drop of Siamese DNA and think, "Oh, I just LOVE Siamese, they are such intelligent cats!" ... but just because a cat LOOKS like a Siamese doesn't make it a Siamese. There can be cats who carry the pointed gene but who are most certainly NOT Siamese. So, they get this kitty home, all the while thinking he/she will act like a Siamese and gee - two weeks later, Kitty is right back at the shelter because the people aren't happy. How does this serve the needs of the cats??? We've talked about this before, you & I, so I won't belabor the point, but it isn't right. It is essentially tricking the pet owning population into believing they are getting something they are not getting and that's just wrong - it is wrong for the cats, it is wrong for the people adopting.

Please, Katie - feel free to continue your good work. You are a much-needed soul who helps many kitties find loving forever homes. But it is my opinion that by being honest you are giving these babies a much better chance on staying in that home and out of the rescue process.

~gf~

Status
Not open for further replies.