Who are the horrible women in history?

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just think it's wrong that I can think of so many evil women, yet somehow have yet to come up with one I really admire...

I think there must be something wrong with how my brain works

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by f&n'sdad

Is Bloody Mary Queen Elizabeth the First's older sister (catherine's daughter)? The one who killed all the protestant supporters? I always get confused with Mary Queen of Scots.

I don't think Anne Boleyn was evil. Just a victim of Henry's lust and desire to have a son. She didn't come through with a son so she got the axe (Ironic that she did have Elizabeth, who made England into a super power. But because she was female.....).

For the same reasons as Anne, I think Lady Jane Gray was innocent. As a woman back then you didn't have much choice as to your destiny.

If anyone's interested in books on this subject and is into quick, light entertaining reading check out these:
http://astore.amazon.com/malaspgreat...ail/0743227441
Yes, Bloody Mary was Elizabeth I's older sister. She put to death any protestant in the name of bringing Catholicism back to England. She also had Elizabeth under house arrest for a good year and almost put to death because she feared conspiracy (as many royals did).

Anne Boleyn, I agree is debatable. Some say she was just a victim of Henry's lust, others say differently. I've read enough about her that I don't think she was entirely innocent. If the King waved the possibility of queenship in front of you and you knew that you could produce children, I think it would offer more of an incentive to help convince the king to make that happen. Besides, the rumors that flew about her with her possibly having an affair with her brother well, yeah.

Elizabeth I had to put Lady Jane Gray to death. She was on the thrown for what was it a month? Two months? Again its debatable of how guilty/innocent, but in those times if people thought of her as queen, she could possibly command conspiracy too.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I totally forgot about Susan Smith! She's definitely on the "very evil" list!

With so many women serving time now for heinous crimes, I have to assume that there were plenty of evil women in history - we just don't know about them, and like I was thinking before - the truly infamous were the women behind the evil men.....

But this has been fascinating in a morbid kind of way!

Laurie
Aren't you a "true crime" fan, Laurie? Here's another candidate, Nanny Doss:http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkiller...anny_hazel.php

Susan Smith and Diane Downs have to be two of the most selfish women who ever lived, as they killed their children because they stood in the way of a romance.
That's far more despicable than what Andrea Yates did, or this woman in Belgium this past week: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/28022007/32...-children.html

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lizzie Borden

Lucretia Borgia

Karla Homolka (although I hate to give her the "spotlight" - she basks in it!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Aren't you a "true crime" fan, Laurie?...
Actually, we couldn't afford TV during some tough times in 2005 - and found we did just fine without it - so we never signed back up again with the satellite service!

Laurie

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

A British one - Myra Hindley - she was known as the most hated woman in Britain
A truly evil woman, and very sick in the head, along with Ian Brady. And I never believed her "I'm a changed woman, because I converted to Catholcism in prison" claim. I hope she's met Satan!

MargeCat

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How about the mystery writer, Anne Perry, who helped her girlfriend (as a teenager) murder her parents, because the parents were going to move away, and they didn't want to separated? She's done a great job of hushing this part of her earlier life up; but there was some movie based on it a few years ago; I can't remember the name of it. I work in a library, and every time I have to catalog or handle one of her books, it sickens me that she's so popular!

MargeCat

MargeCat

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

How about the mystery writer, Anne Perry, who helped her girlfriend (as a teenager) murder her parents, because the parents were going to move away, and they didn't want to separated? She's done a great job of hushing this part of her earlier life up; but there was some movie based on it a few years ago; I can't remember the name of it. I work in a library, and every time I have to catalog or handle one of her books, it sickens me that she's so popular!

MargeCat

MargeCat
The film is "Heavenly Creatures": http://www.moviediva.com/MD_root/rev...MDHeavenly.htm

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Lizzie was NEVER proven to have killed her mom and dad

But my husband's ex wife has to be one of the most horrible women