Who admits to remembering these?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one 8-track, and it came with my first car (78' Firebird). It was "Saturday Night Live", and I actually did play it until I got one of those 8-track/cassette converters (remember those)? That little converter ate so many tapes, but it was worth it. I still kept the 8-track once the car died as a momento.

My parents had 8-tracks out the butt, 2 players, a beta player and beta tapes, plus a full collection of 33's, 45's and 78's. I had to drag them into technology kicking and screaming. They finally decided to get a cheap CD player to see what the big fuss was about, but they stuck to their records and 8-tracks until the day they died.

Most everything was sold in auction except for a few records and 8-tracks I kept. Dang, if I new there would be a contest for this I would have kept all that old junk!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't have any, anymore - got rid of them all years ago. but yes, i had them - even taped some of them over to cassettes when those were the 'new' thing.
i even have, somewhere, an 8-track a friend made about 35 years ago of my sister - he called it 'Gwynne, Live at Brinkley Hall' [his last name was Brinkley - it was recorded @ his house when he was dating her]. i'm sure i didn't throw it away, since it was actually her on the tape, but i'd be hard-pressed to find it!

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i used to have one 8track. it was Focus 'Hocus Pokus'.
my friends dad still has a reel-to-reel. but i heard they quit making the tapefor it a few years back and a lot of recording studios were stock-piling it

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I was so proud when I installed an Eight Track player in my first car, a 1974 Chevy Nova. Alas, I've gotten rid of all of my 8-track tapes over the years. I think my sister still has hers, along with a working Eight Track stereo system.

But did you have a reel-to-reel player?

I've yet to convert my vinyl to MP3, but that's on my to-do list.

(I don't need the points - you want more to give away?)
Haha I read this and mentally pictured the car BF just finished. It was a 74 Nova done in BRIGHT ORANGE with white and chrome accented emblems and black silver and white stripes. Ill have to hunt up some of the pics and upload them to photobucket. It turned out so good even if the stripes look like crap but 'its supposed to look original' (yes Im saying that in my whiney brat voice)

I was given an 8 track when we cleaned out the Cuda BF is getting ready to put back together. Unfortunately we took out the player that was in the car because its going to be BFs dads daily driver and is getting a really nice sound system installed. I guess this is a really rare car its a black on black vinyl top 74 Cuda (not a barracuda but unfortunately not a Hemi-Cuda) Its going to be awesome especially since its a numbers matching car so it wont be a "chop apart and throw together" its going to be an actual restored classic.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I remember them clearly. Who can forget the "clunk" happening 3 times during "Innagodadavida?"
Ha Ha Ha! I was thinking the same thing when I read the first post!

buttercup29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG 8 tracks. I have some fond memories of hanging out with my friends and listening to them. Had some great makeout ones too.
Years ago we had an old furnace replaced and when they opened up the furnace inside at the bottom was an old Air Supply 8 track half melted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by buttercup29

OMG 8 tracks. I have some fond memories of hanging out with my friends and listening to them. Had some great makeout ones too.
Years ago we had an old furnace replaced and when they opened up the furnace inside at the bottom was an old Air Supply 8 track half melted.
According to my count, here are the results so far:

Winners of 1000 points for remembering 8 tracks: Dave_PH, Crazyforinfo, Cheylink, Mrblanche, Misty8723

Winner of 5000 points for actually having an 8 track tape: SK_pacer

Winner of 5000 points for having a Beta player: Momofmany

Winner of 1000 points for having a Beta tape: Momofmany (still looking for four people here)

And the grand prize of 10,000 points is still open. Who still has an 8 track player (it does not have to work?)

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We still have Beta tapes lying around the house; I don't know why, really. We took our player into be worked on at least 10 years ago. The repair shop went out of business and we never got the machine back.
We still have an 8 track player and tapes, too. The player hasn't worked in years, but it's still sitting in our living room.
It's part of a base-unit that DH bought before we were married. His favorite 8 track was an Alice Cooper tape. It also features a quadrophonic turntable, and yes, we still have a few quad vinyls.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'm late to the game, but:

I have a case (specially made to hold 8-tracks) sitting in my basement, much to my husband's dismay.

I have Barry Manilow, Billy Joel, Air Supply, Abba, Peter, Paul, & Mary, Anne Murray, even Christopher Cross (anyone remember him?), to name several.

I've thought about selling them on e-bay...

Do I win a prize for being a horrible pack rat? They are sitting on a shelf right beside my Seventeen magazines from 1976 & 1977.