White patch on a black cat

teacookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My otherwise totally black cat started having this white patch all of a sudden, I first noticed it about a month. It's in an odd place, as you can see in the photo:

She's 11 but I don't think this is what "graying" hair would look like... (she has none otherwise) I googled it and the only thing I found was feline vitiligo
... but how weird would that be.

Anyone seen something like this before?

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't seen anything like this before but didn't want you to think your question was being ignored.  Black cats do not usually get gray with age, although there is an exception right here on TCS http://www.thecatsite.com/t/309483/midi-midnight-says-hello   Midi is getting a gray face which is a bit different from what you're seeing, though.  When my black cats have aged, they may pick up an extra white hair here and there but it's not in a patch like you are seeing on your girl,  or across the face like Midi shows.

As for feline vitiligo, I don't have any experience with that.   You might check with your vet next time you go for a check-up.   In the meantime, hopefully someone will come along who can be a bit more helpful!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teacookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for replying. :)

I had a black cat that got an occasional white hair here and there around the back, as she got older, but nothing like Midi on that link! He looks almost like the vitiligo cats! :D

Check this "black" cat out:

She shows up in search when I google "feline vitiligo". It's actually quite a beautiful pattern.

Last edited: