White nose

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those of you who have kittens or cats with white noses, do you groom them in any special way? My kitten nose is white and with very little hair so most of the time it's bright pink. The other day I saw wandering around the barn a large tuxedo feral cat, he's the only tuxedo I've seen around so I think the chances are he's the father of my kitten. And I wouldn't like my kitten to end looking like him!!!

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The barn cat has black spotting on his nose and chin, that's how his nose looks not dirt. I have a cat with an all white nose and one with a mostly white nose and I've never had to do anything to keep their noses clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't mean the black spots, I meant the grey area (hairless?) from his nose up. Sorry, I didn't explain myself.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My main concern would be keeping your kitten from getting sunburn. My Daisy has a white nose and ears, too, and that's a cancer risk if they get a lot of sun. Is your kitten indoor only?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh! Sorry for misunderstanding. Hair loss like that on the bridge of the nose can be attributed to stress, fleas and poor diet. So if you cat is happy and healthy you shouldn't have anything to worry about there.

My cats do go outside, but they tend to stay inside when it's warmer and do like to hang out in the shade. Sun damage can be a concern for white cats (and cats with white spots). There isn't a whole lot we can do except limit sun exposure and keep an eye out for damage. They can get sunburned but I've personally never run into that. None of my cats are huge sunbathers, they tend to nap in shady spots on hot days and curled up on the cold days.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had cats with white noses and nothing special. The possible dad cat has had a tougher life. Like Kieka Kieka said too, things like stress, nutrition... your cat should be fine. Clean bowls should be all you really need to do.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never done anything in particular for pink noses either.