White Kitten Poop? Only 3-4 Wks Old

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
7 stray Kittens and mom are in a spare bedroom. Cant get them into shelter for 5 1/2 more weeks. Kittens have started using the litter box. But they are still pooping on the floor at times.
A few times now there has been white poop? I assume it's poop on the blanket. I cannot afford to vet the cats. Mom was wormed on the 11th. What can i do? I dont even know which kitten it was. :(

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the poop is white, that could mean (among other things) that the liver is not producing bile. Which is very serious.

I know you said you have no money for a vet, but that is what is needed.
Can you set up a camera, web cam...something to catch which one is the white pooper? Is there one that seems more lethargic, not eating, too skinny, jaundiced or overall unwell compare to the others?

Is there a low cost clinic in your area you could bring it? If you have a trusted regular vet, they may be willing to work with you on the cost of treatment.

I hope you can find a way to get the kitten to the vet. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No we dont. I called the rescue to see if they can get them in sooner or provide care. Foster home etc. The kittens seem fine. But a couple look lije runts and not as big as the others. I think they may not be getting enough food. I may try to bottle feed. I offered a plate of formula yesterday. But only a couple of the bigger ones were interested.
The food and litter cost is expensive. I only have them because the lady let mom cat out and she didnt come back. So i had to reschedule the appointment. Really left me in a bind.
Im going to weigh them today

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We had a litter of kittens and their feral mom at the shelter, and the kittens had white poop. It turned out that they had giardia, and we lost one at 5 weeks despite hospitalization. The others were extremely ill and almost didn't make it.

Your kittens really need to be seen by a vet before it's fatal.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What did the poop look like? And how do they test. I dont have hundreds of dollars to spend. :( and we dont know which one it even is.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The poop was solid at times and mushy at others; it was white almost all the time. The vet will need fecal samples to test for giardia, coccidia, etc., and the kittens' and mom's weights to prescribe the right doses of meds. If one kitten has it, the others likely do, too. All of them will have to be treated, including the mother.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yea thats what i found. Some looked pastey. Like dried toothpaste. While in the litter box. Was like wet diarrhea. There hasnt been a lot. So not sure if i will be able to get a sample. They can test mom. Hers was firm earlier. But just a bit ago. Firm was a little soft.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What if you offered the shelter you are waiting to get them into to foster them if they admit them for an exam? Like get them official and in the system and dewormed and vetted but you foster them until they are old or it is their turn on the wait list. There may be steps to go through to be a foster family for pets in their care so you might have to do that. But worth asking anyway.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I offered kitten food with water. Couple ate. The others walk right over. Then they ate off of mom. I hope she has enough milk for them. Im giving her like 15 oz of wet food plus unlimited dry. I add extra water to her food as she doesnt drink a lot.