White discharge that hardens on recently neutered cat

ideenah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone,
I'm new here. English is not my native language so please pardon me for any mistakes.
I had my male cate neutered 6 days ago but now I'm noticing an off white creamy discharge sticking around his penis which becomes hard once it dries. I also noticed his penile opening swelled up today. I spoke to my vet on the phone and he said that his anal glands need to be cleaned. I'm not sure how that can be related or if he's just trying to make money.
There is also hardness around his penis and abdomen, it is in two separate places, one extending about an inch and half down to his penile opening and the other around his penile opening. He has been eating fine and no diet change has been noticed and since he's being fed primarily wet food so he is not drinking as much but does drink some water once or twice a day. He was quite active and playful until yesterday but as of today he is looking and acting lethargic. He is not meowing or showing any sign of pain.
I am attaching a picture of what I saw.
Any input and help would be greatly appreciated in understanding what this could be. I will be taking him to the vet in the next few hours.
Regards,
Concerned and worried cat owner.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely have it looked at by the vet that performed the surgery. I would hope the 'hardness' is swelling, but it wouldn't hurt to have it looked at. Lethargy is not normal, though the pain meds may have worn off and he is hurting a little. Eating, drinking, and using the litter box all are signs everything is OK, though I would encourage water at this time to flush everything out. Set several cups of water around to tempt him. Some discharge is normal too, though that white substance doesn't look normal. Since this is all 6 days later, I would take him in, please keep us informed!

crstna_glbrt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine has had the exact same thing happen a week after nuetering and now ongoing. He’s 6 months old. It’s been two weeks now since the nuetering.
I took him to the vet two days ago. She checked for infection but wasn’t worried. My photos are nearly identical to yours.. I am still concerned. It’s not normal. If you find out what it is please let me know.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mine has had the exact same thing happen a week after nuetering and now ongoing. He’s 6 months old. It’s been two weeks now since the nuetering.I took him to the vet two days ago. She checked for infection but wasn’t worried. My photos are nearly identical to yours.. I am still concerned. It’s not normal. If you find out what it is please let me know.
Did the vet suggest it could be seepage that can occur with healing? There is sometimes a semi-clear weeping matter that is the collection of cells to help heal the area. If your cat is licking that area a lot, than can cause a delay in healing, and prompt the seeping.

H2201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone,
I'm new here. English is not my native language so please pardon me for any mistakes.
I had my male cate neutered 6 days ago but now I'm noticing an off white creamy discharge sticking around his penis which becomes hard once it dries. I also noticed his penile opening swelled up today. I spoke to my vet on the phone and he said that his anal glands need to be cleaned. I'm not sure how that can be related or if he's just trying to make money.
There is also hardness around his penis and abdomen, it is in two separate places, one extending about an inch and half down to his penile opening and the other around his penile opening. He has been eating fine and no diet change has been noticed and since he's being fed primarily wet food so he is not drinking as much but does drink some water once or twice a day. He was quite active and playful until yesterday but as of today he is looking and acting lethargic. He is not meowing or showing any sign of pain.
I am attaching a picture of what I saw.
Any input and help would be greatly appreciated in understanding what this could be. I will be taking him to the vet in the next few hours.
Regards,
Concerned and worried cat owner.
Hey can you please update what did the vet tell? Because my cat currently is going thru the same discharge.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
OP posted only once, so I don't think that you will receive a reply.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey can you please update what did the vet tell? Because my cat currently is going thru the same discharge.
Can you send pics to the vet? Also ask them about collecting a sample of the seepage and taking it to them vet to see if they would check it out that way? Does the area look OK otherwise?

Are you due to take your cat back to the vet for a follow-up? It probably would be a good idea just to be on the safe side.

H2201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you send pics to the vet? Also ask them about collecting a sample of the seepage and taking it to them vet to see if they would check it out that way? Does the area look OK otherwise?

Are you due to take your cat back to the vet for a follow-up? It probably would be a good idea just to be on the safe side.
I did send the pics to the vet but they never replied. They simply told me that you can remove the cone after 7 days which I didn’t because I was not sure if the wound healed. I will be taking him for a follow up today.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never coned a cat and they have all been fine. 7 days is plenty long enough for a cone. He may clean the area too.

H2201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never coned a cat and they have all been fine. 7 days is plenty long enough for a cone. He may clean the area too.
Did your cats lick the area? Mine pretty much grooms himself quite often. I really want to know how do I know if the incision is healed, I went to the vet and it was closed today. I just hope my cat doesn’t have any sort of infection as he did have the white discharge as shown in OP’s photo.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they licked the area. How is he acting? A cat with an infection will stop eating, start hiding, and act sick. If he is acting normal, eating, drinking, and using the litter box, everything is fine.

H2201

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they licked the area. How is he acting? A cat with an infection will stop eating, start hiding, and act sick. If he is acting normal, eating, drinking, and using the litter box, everything is fine.
Yes he is acting normal, I took him to the vet and she said his wound is fine and we can get rid of his cone now thank goodness.

sheepish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, I found this thread via google as my cat has had a weird discharge around his penis and i couldn't figure out what it was. his urine test came back clear for UTIs and he seemed otherwise healthy.

I figured it out though, so I just thought I'd put you all out of your misery - and those of you to come in the future when you stumble on this thread after seeing a similar problem in your cat - the "discharge" is probably your kitty litter. If your cat has a tendency to sit in his litter or play in it, it will stick to their wet fur after they pee. LOL.

In my instance, it was World's Best Cat Litter and is made from corn so it is yellow and looked like yellow discharge.