White cats with blue eyes - deaf?

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CJ had (it eventually goes away) what looked like a black grease smudge, and I read in a book that that means a blue eyed or odd eyed white cat will not be afflicted by the deafness if they have a dark colored, as in black, smudge on their head.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
My one Aunt is almost completely deaf and wanted to get a cat that shared the non-hearing lifestyle... she ended up adopting a little pure white, blue-eyed baby whom she named Princess Maple.
After doing research, she found that white, blue-eyed cats are in fact more likely to be deaf at birth, but all aren't necessarily deaf.
Also, if the cat is not born deaf, it has just as much chance as any other cat to become deaf (usually due to old age). Recently, my aunt kitty-sat her friend's 3 pure white cats: Mama, who is only paritially deaf, one of her babies who is fully deaf and another non-related pure white cat that was fully hearing. Princess Maple responds to vibrations of people walking or pounding the floor to get her attention
... also, my Aunt has taught her sign language for things like "cookie" and "dinner"... I think it's great when people decide to adopt non-hearing cats and take the extra time with them that they need instead of looking at it as a burden... good for you!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CJandBilly

CJ had (it eventually goes away) what looked like a black grease smudge, and I read in a book that that means a blue eyed or odd eyed white cat will not be afflicted by the deafness if they have a dark colored, as in black, smudge on their head.
I'm a breeder of Orange eyed, Blue Eyed & Copper Eyed White Persians & Exotics.

It is called a Genetic Spot. A cat can be deaf that has had one. It doesn't mean that the cat wont be affected by deafness but shows what colour the cat is masking.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I'm a breeder of Orange eyed, Blue Eyed & Copper Eyed White Persians & Exotics.

It is called a Genetic Spot. A cat can be deaf that has had one. It doesn't mean that the cat wont be affected by deafness but shows what colour the cat is masking.
Okie dokie. Thanks for the info!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to have a non-deaf odd-eyed white. I think I understand that she was actually a white cat (dominant white, blue eyed) with white spots (which accounts for the green/gold eye.)

Right now I have a white kitten that is odd-eyed. He has 7 siblings, who have all gone to homes now, and I am wondering about him a little. When he finds himself alone he makes a strange meowing sound. Like he doesn't know how to find his mom without calling her to him?

Oh, and my vet said (and I had never heard this before) that blue eyed boys had more chance of being deaf. Not sure where he got that! How do you test for deafness? I've tried noises behind him but I think I give myself away somehow.