White cats more timid than other colors?

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sampson is deaf. He and Vanna are brother and sister. His foster mom told me that he was deaf but I wanted my vet to check him out and he said I had about a 50/50 chance of him being deaf. Since he had one blue and one gold eye.

I really don't see a difference in his meowing compared to the other cats. Sounds about the same. His might be a pitch higher.

I have always had a special interest in white cats who are deaf. I actually traveled 7 hours to pick up Sampson and ended up coming home with Vanna too. I just couldn't separate them. When ever he walks through the house calling she always comes running to make sure he is OK.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the white cat is an oriental (with blue eyes) it will NOT be deaf as the blue eyes are from the siamese. Otherwise you have a 50/50 chance of having a deaf cat.

Also ALL eye colors can be deaf - found that out with my one little gold eye white that was totally deaf. Her father was a bicolor and a friend of mine that is into genetics said that the "bicolor" gene is the one that produces deaf whites more then most realize.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

I have always had a special interest in white cats who are deaf. I actually traveled 7 hours to pick up Sampson and ended up coming home with Vanna too. I just couldn't separate them. When ever he walks through the house calling she always comes running to make sure he is OK.
Awww....that's so sweet! There are so many people who wouldn't have walked a block to take Sampson home knowing he was deaf & here you drove 7 hours! What lucky kids Sampson & Vanna are!

When Ophie starts yowling, everyone runs the other way(that is, everyone who can hear her
)! The only ones in the house she can entice into a screaming match are the dogs & I'm trying to train them out of that. Ophie is bad enough, I don't need dogs howling back!

lisakmusco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That seems rather absurd to me too. I'd be more inclined to believe one breed is more timid than another, not coloring.
Now, I'm not sure if my experience with Salt counts or not, as he's not pure white (has flame-points and markings on his body too), but he's definitely no more timid than his all-black sister (Pepper). I must admit that they are both a bit shy, but I attribute that more to age than their color. They both hide in the laundry room as soon as any company comes into the house -- but so do the others. .
Other than that, Salt, however, is very calm in general, where Pepper is very busy and active all the time. I find it hard to believe that that is because of his coloring, though.