White bumps on cat butthole?

Alysham1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to post such a...unsightly image on my cats butthole but a couple days ago I noticed these white bumps on my cats butt that came out of nowhere. Anyone have any idea of what this is about?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Hard to tell from the picture, but I am wondering if it relates to his/her anal glands. The white bumps could be the ducts from these glands, which could mean an infection or that the glands are becoming blocked. There might be a strong odor coming from them as well - as the 'gunk' expressed from the anal glands is pretty stinky - this part is normal in terms of the smell, it is just easier to smell it when the glands are filling up and not being expressed naturally. Your cat might also be licking/grooming that area more than usual as well, but that is not always the case.

I would call your vet and tell them what you are seeing - even send the pic if they will accept them, in case that would help with identification. If the glands are becoming blocked or infected, that will require a vet visit for them to express and treat them. Don't let this go on too long because the glands can become completely blocked and you will have a much bigger issue on your hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alysham1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Hard to tell from the picture, but I am wondering if it relates to his/her anal glands. The white bumps could be the ducts from these glands, which could mean an infection or that the glands are becoming blocked. There might be a strong odor coming from them as well - as the 'gunk' expressed from the anal glands is pretty stinky - this part is normal in terms of the smell, it is just easier to smell it when the glands are filling up and not being expressed naturally. Your cat might also be licking/grooming that area more than usual as well, but that is not always the case.

I would call your vet and tell them what you are seeing - even send the pic if they will accept them, in case that would help with identification. If the glands are becoming blocked or infected, that will require a vet visit for them to express and treat them. Don't let this go on too long because the glands can become completely blocked and you will have a much bigger issue on your hands.
Thank you for your reply!

OneMouseketeer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I came across your post while trying to google to find out this exact question about my cats. I'm curious to find out if you ended up taking your kitty to the vet and what they may of said or done.
Thank you

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
OP has not been back since May of 2020, so I don't know if you will get a reply.