Whiskey just tried to attack Norris!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Until you feel he is trustworthy. With him being a leash & with you....you will get to learn more about him....you will learn more about what makes him tick. I kept my Macey on a leash for 3 weeks. Some people may think it's mean, but I figured out what set her off & was able to prevent & stop her attacks.
I don't think it's mean at all if it's something that's going to positively help out the dog and prevent bad behaviors that would otherwise get the dog rehomed/euthanized. If anything, it is the kind thing to do to try and help out the animal and spend all of that time and effort doing so.
Thankyou soo much for your help!

Originally Posted by Fostermomm

Basically either me or my ex-husband kept him leashed to us if he wasnt in his crate. The leash was 10 feet long so he could wander around and interact. But any time the fosters were near him we would praise him alot if he wasnt getting tensed up and was acting friendly. If he started to tense up we would yell NO CALM IT DOWN! He would usually either look at us and them calm down or just walk away from the dog. We also kept a mini super soaker ready in case he didnt listen. He never actually broke skin either like you said he would just mouth them and scare them to death. He would sound super mean but we could see he was just putting his teeth on them. I dont know if thats what Whiskey is doing or not.
He was always given treats last put in a sit stay and had to wait patiently while all 3 + of the other dogs got treats. When he was fed he had to wait till the other dogs were done. The we would put his bowl down let him eat a few pieces on his own and then started reaching in and taking it away from him. Told him wait then made him do tricks for the rest of it. He would get one piece at a time (he also had a problem with throwing up because he ate to fast). He had to wait at every door, could not walk in front of us even off leash he had to do a heel until we told it was ok to go play with the other dogs/go potty and we never ever gae him attention if he came to us. Only if we called him and he came right away would he get lovings. Basically he had to work for everything and had to wait for everything. Now he accepts all the fosters that my ex husband fosters and has turned into a really good dog. But my ex still cant give him an inch or he will try to take a foot. I do believe you might want to keep him locked up while your nieces and nephews come over at least until you figuer things out. Also have the vet do a thyroid panel.
Thankyuo SOOOO much hon those are some great tips!!!! I will be adding some of those ideas you gave me to what we're already doing!!!! We worked on some stuff before i left the house earlier and he did great!
I think it's just going to be a slow process- but in the mean time we're just being very careful. Norris is kept in his crate when we're not around to supervise him and now Whiskey is on his leash while he's out in the house. He's doing soo well too (he's snuggled up in my lap at the moment
) And yes you were right about what he was doing- he's not biting and breaking the skin just putting his teeth/mouth on him and making really horrid sounds. (enough to scare me though) Colin and I are going to talk to the vet again tomorrow or tues and see if and when we should set up an appointment for some lab work ups on Whiskey. Thankyou soo much for all the great ideas and support!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are these dogs allowed to be so close to each other? Honestly I would have separated them immediately. Why is it when you introduce cats they say keep them separated for weeks and do the intros slowing but I don't hear the same for dogs? I believe in 3-strike rule. I wish you luck and pray no one else gets hurt in the meantime.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Why are these dogs allowed to be so close to each other? Honestly I would have separated them immediately. Why is it when you introduce cats they say keep them separated for weeks and do the intros slowing but I don't hear the same for dogs? I believe in 3-strike rule. I wish you luck and pray no one else gets hurt in the meantime.
if you read the first post- they were completly seperate and very gradually introduced over a 2 almost 3 week period. they weren't just allowed to play/interact freely- i didn't let them all together at once. i gradually introduced them properly like you're supposed to. we've only started having a problem in the past few days so for right now we are doing nilf with whiskey and he's on a leash at all times and is working for everything - this way he is always in our grasps and can not get norris anymore and can be easily corrected. we are working very closely with our vet and behaviorist to help curb this problem- so please do not think that i just stuck them all together at once- they were gradually introduced over time and had no problems at all -everything was going great until just a few days ago and Whiskey just sort of snapped in a way- so we're trying to work with him very intesnsely right now.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

if you read the first post- they were completly seperate and very gradually introduced over a 2 almost 3 week period. they weren't just allowed to play/interact freely- i didn't let them all together at once. i gradually introduced them properly like you're supposed to. we've only started having a problem in the past few days so for right now we are doing nilf with whiskey and he's on a leash at all times and is working for everything - this way he is always in our grasps and can not get norris anymore and can be easily corrected. we are working very closely with our vet and behaviorist to help curb this problem- so please do not think that i just stuck them all together at once- they were gradually introduced over time and had no problems at all -everything was going great until just a few days ago and Whiskey just sort of snapped in a way- so we're trying to work with him very intesnsely right now.
I am referring to when the first attack happened.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am referring to when the first attack happened.
oh sorry, misunderstood ya!

when the first "attack" happened- it was completly out of the blue- they were completly seperated and now allowed one another the rest of that afternoon. At another person's suggestion and the suggestion of a behaviorist- we reintroduced them on the leashes again and all went well...that is until the other attack happened. Now Whiskey is entirely on the leash and will continute to be until we feel absolutely sure he can be trusted- we are just not going to chance it.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

oh sorry, misunderstood ya!

when the first "attack" happened- it was completly out of the blue- they were completly seperated and now allowed one another the rest of that afternoon. At another person's suggestion and the suggestion of a behaviorist- we reintroduced them on the leashes again and all went well...that is until the other attack happened. Now Whiskey is entirely on the leash and will continute to be until we feel absolutely sure he can be trusted- we are just not going to chance it.
I truely wish you luck. I would hate to hear that Whiskey bit you or Colin.
Very happy that there are no kids in the house. Good Luck.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I truely wish you luck. I would hate to hear that Whiskey bit you or Colin.
Very happy that there are no kids in the house. Good Luck.
Thankyou hon i really appreciate that. I also told Colin today that Whiskey MUST be put in the bedroom whenever my nieces/nephews and their friends are over right now while we're working on his training just to be on the safe side- that i would under no condition allow him around them at the moment. (he's never been aggressive around kids but i will not be taking that chance now you know- it's better to be proactive). Thankfully- i work for AC so i know how to seperate fighting animals without getting hurt so both times i was able to get them seperated safely - but now we are not even going to have to worry about that as Whiskey will only be allowed on a leash right now- i'm just not going to risk it. We're starting from scratch again with him and this time i pray it works. I also do hope he gets better when Norris goes up for adoption.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just be extra wary, Nikki, of anyone. Take time to introduce Whiskey to new adults....and like you are planning, no kids near him until you are 100% sure.....make sure the kids won't try to get in the bedroom when they are there, either.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put a lock on the door to keep any children out of the room. Just to be 100% sure they can't go in there UNTIL or IF he shows he can be trusted.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Just be extra wary, Nikki, of anyone. Take time to introduce Whiskey to new adults....and like you are planning, no kids near him until you are 100% sure.....make sure the kids won't try to get in the bedroom when they are there, either.
Originally Posted by crittermom

I would put a lock on the door to keep any children out of the room. Just to be 100% sure they can't go in there UNTIL or IF he shows he can be trusted.
no worries ladies- one of the rooms on the master bathroom- it has a lock on the other side of the door so i can keep the kids out and him in without worrying about it or their safety for now
same for adults- he will be going up when company is over just to be on the safe side for now.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is Whiskey doing now? I hope that all of your effort is paying off - I know how much you love him.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thankyou for asking everyone!! i have recieved some great ideas/advice from many people recently and we are just trying a bit of everything at the moment. First off they ALL 3 have to earn EVERYTHING- every head scratch,every meal, every toy, playtime, privledge to get on furniture, play outside/etc- if they want it they have to work for it- and omg- since we've been going that we've seen soooooooooo many improvements!!! It's great!!! The only thing that remotely happened was Whiskey growled about two seconds the other day- we immediately corrected that and haven't had any other problems!! Today he kissed-yes kissed Norris right on the nose!!!!!
IT was soo sweet! Everything seems to be slowly but surely improving- we're really working with them all and it seems to be helping!!! Thankyou to everyone who has given advice/support!
I'll keep this updated as things progress. I'm hoping that if things keep getting better and Whiskey does well- we might be able to keep Norris

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

thankyou for asking everyone!! i have recieved some great ideas/advice from many people recently and we are just trying a bit of everything at the moment. First off they ALL 3 have to earn EVERYTHING- every head scratch,every meal, every toy, playtime, privledge to get on furniture, play outside/etc- if they want it they have to work for it- and omg- since we've been going that we've seen soooooooooo many improvements!!! It's great!!! The only thing that remotely happened was Whiskey growled about two seconds the other day- we immediately corrected that and haven't had any other problems!! Today he kissed-yes kissed Norris right on the nose!!!!!
IT was soo sweet! Everything seems to be slowly but surely improving- we're really working with them all and it seems to be helping!!! Thankyou to everyone who has given advice/support!
I'll keep this updated as things progress. I'm hoping that if things keep getting better and Whiskey does well- we might be able to keep Norris
Im so glad to hear things are going better. Once you have more then 2 dogs the pack mentality really goes into overide and you have to make sure everyone knows wherethere place is. I hope things keep going better.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Im so glad to hear things are going better. Once you have more then 2 dogs the pack mentality really goes into overide and you have to make sure everyone knows wherethere place is. I hope things keep going better.
no kidding!!! everything was perfect with just two- then add in the 3rd one and everyone goes nutso
thankfully though i've recieved a lot of good advice/help so we're really trying to maintain order and work with each of them
Also- thankyou soo much for you help as well- a lot of your ideas have really helped!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How are things going with the boys today?
I come to work every morning hoping for a Norris and Whiskey update!