Whilst on the subject of bugs... look what I found!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Arlyn, it's a katydid or something very similar. Our katydids bite, just a nasty pinch, but I'm sure glad yours didn't! Katydids are cousins to grasshoppers, cockroaches & crickets, and they eat smaller bugs, including relatives!
My cats have tried eating them, but I guess they just aren't as tasty as moths!

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooh. I have been freaked out by those a couple of times. I'm not afraid of the bug itself, but when its like 10pm and you are reading a book or something, and all the sudden something starts chirping, it kind of freaks you out!!! I think that is the same bug but this one is younger because it doesnt have big wings on it.

I thought katydids were these fat brown... beetle/fly like things O_O but maybe I'm thinking of something else??

That bug looks even prettier once it gets its wings

KNOW WHAT ARE COOL BUGS??????

Mealworms in their pupae stage!!!!!

They look like that one pokemon thing called a Kakuna or something O_O Thats what it reminds me of. It is cool to watch them go from pupae stage to beetle stage. I love to watch them. They just wiggle their bums for hours and hours, and finally the skin breaks off and they start moving their new legs and pushing the outside cover off, and then the wings start to move back until its a little white bug, and then it starts to turn brown. Its coolness.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BigOrangeMenace

KNOW WHAT ARE COOL BUGS??????

Mealworms in their pupae stage!!!!!

They look like that one pokemon thing called a Kakuna or something O_O Thats what it reminds me of. It is cool to watch them go from pupae stage to beetle stage. I love to watch them. They just wiggle their bums for hours and hours, and finally the skin breaks off and they start moving their new legs and pushing the outside cover off, and then the wings start to move back until its a little white bug, and then it starts to turn brown. Its coolness.
Mealworms??? Cute??? To each her own!!!
I'd take a cute little katydid over a mealworm any ole day!

You want to see something really weird? I'll see if I can get a pic of the huge, green, horned worms stripping my tomato plants in the garden. Trouble is, they're hard to spot, as they blend in with the plants perfectly! I'll give it a try, though. I found 3 yesterday, and there are probably more. *shudder

You brave girl, oh Great Bug Rescuer!!