Which would be the lesser of 2 evils : Carrageenan or Menadione sodium bisulfite complex ?

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I  am now feeding my cats a 100 %   can /wet diet .. 

I have to buy at least 60 cans per month so unfortunately I cannot afford  top quality  , there is no way around that ...

Right now they are eating Friskies and they love it but it does have both of these ingredients .. 

I have found a few brands that only have  One or the Other ..

Which of the two ingredients would be the better to avoid ?

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there ...

As many pet foods contain one or both unfortunately, it is hard to avoid them. That said, there are foods that do not contain either of these ingredients, but some of these foods will be more expensive. What it boils down to is choice, doing what you can within your means, and rotating foods with some that do not contain these ingredients, so that the exposure to these ingredients, is limited.

Here are some foods that do not contain either of these ingredients* :

Nature's Variety Instinct

Hound and Gatos

Weruva

Authority

*Wellness (does not contain synthetic Vit K but does contain carageenan)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome , thank you . I will check those out. 

smartyfoj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also believe tiki cat is free of both those ingredients one and a half cats can correct me if I'm wrong.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also believe tiki cat is free of both those ingredients one and a half cats can correct me if I'm wrong.
@SmartyFOJ  , Yes it is ...Thank you. 

I did some research and found a couple more ..

Petguard has Neither 

Weruva pouches has Neither 

Authority has Neither

I am going to alternate between all these brands . They are all affordable

( IF) I get desperate I found a few that have Carrageenan only . If I have to I will take that over Menadione sodium bisulfite ..

Great Choice 

California Natural 

Felidae 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to avoid carrageen and menadione as much as I can but feed about one can of Wellness Core (carrageenan) and one little tub of Natural Balance catatouille (menadione) to the two cats each week... they love both of them.

The cats also like/love TIki (chicken, chicken/egg, and occasional chicken/salmon), Hound & Gatos lamb, Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen (Fowl Ball, Chicken Frick a Zee, and Double Dip), Nutro's Natural Choice (minced chicken, chunky loaf chicken, and turkey slices), and will tolerate Nature's Variety Instinct (chicken and duck). One cat loves Soulistic's Autumn Bounty chicken with pumpkin as an occasional treat. Not all recipes from those brands are made without carrageenan and/or menadione. I checked a lot of sites and labels before settling on these foods.

The overall dearth of foods without carageenan and menadione -- and that are low in carbs, don't have potato, aren't too high in phosphorus, and not heavily fishy -- is a big reason I feed a lot of commercial raw food, from Primal, Stella & Chewy's, and Rad Cat. One cat prefers the raw food anyway, and the other has grown to like it so I'm glad to feed that more and more.

Good luck!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@LisaHE    , Thank you very much  . I am going to try to avoid the Carrageenan and MSB  as much as possible ..  I have Fancy Feast Classics , Sheba Pate ( both MSB)  also Authority , Petguard , Weruva ( all neither ) .

I don't feed my cats any fish , they do not like it .. 

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From the research I have done I believe the carrageen is worse. There are several online articles by vets that feel in very small amounts menadone is fine and it usually is way at the bottom of the ingredients list. There is no scientific proof that Synthetic Vit K has caused any illness or death in cats.
However carrageen is a known inflammatory. I do not feed Psycho any carrageen and then I alternate foods with and without the synthetic K. Anyone else feel this way?

namma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there ...

As many pet foods contain one or both unfortunately, it is hard to avoid them. That said, there are foods that do not contain either of these ingredients, but some of these foods will be more expensive. What it boils down to is choice, doing what you can within your means, and rotating foods with some that do not contain these ingredients, so that the exposure to these ingredients, is limited.

Hound and Gatos

Weruva

Authority

Just to update: Nature's Variety Instinct is now adding Menadione sodium bisulfite complex.

Just found this out myself and verified it on the bag in the cupboard.

Namma

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the research I have done I believe the carrageen is worse. There are several online articles by vets that feel in very small amounts menadone is fine and it usually is way at the bottom of the ingredients list. There is no scientific proof that Synthetic Vit K has caused any illness or death in cats.
However carrageen is a known inflammatory. I do not feed Psycho any carrageen and then I alternate foods with and without the synthetic K. Anyone else feel this way?
I agree that carrageenan is worse, though I also try to stay away from the synthethic K. I generally avoid carrageenan in human food, too, because it's a known inflammatory.

N namma -- wow, of all foods, Nature's Variety Instinct!

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I try not to feed either tbh. But I will occasionally feed Wellness Core (he really likes Beef/Venison/Lamb) as I think of it as feeding my cat junk food. Junk food isn't that bad when it is given in moderation especially since he's on a mostly raw diet free of either one.

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe Wellness changed their formulas recently and have removed the carrageenan which is great!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe Wellness changed their formulas recently and have removed the carrageenan which is great!
Yes, they did. Our cats have always liked the Core kitten food so I have added that and their food with duck into the canned food menu. (Some of the other Core foods have carby stuff like potato... but others don't!)

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there ...

Hound and Gatos

Weruva

Authority

Instinct , weruva now contain methadone

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am now feeding my cats a 100 % can /wet diet ..

I have to buy at least 60 cans per month so unfortunately I cannot afford top quality , there is no way around that ...

Right now they are eating Friskies and they love it but it does have both of these ingredients ..

I have found a few brands that only have One or the Other ..

Which of the two ingredients would be the better to avoid ?
I just received a letter from tiki cat...Thank you for reaching out to us! As fellow pet parents we can definitely understand your concern. Our formulas meet the nutritional standards established by National Research Council and AAFCO to ensure a diet has all known required nutrients in the proper amounts and proportions based on a cat’s life stage. Supplementation of Vitamin K is necessary when you don’t have natural sources to meet the vitamin K requirement. Primarily fish-based diets may require supplementation of Menadione (Source of Vitamin K). Menadione is approved by the FDA, G.R.A.S (generally regarded as Safe) and an AAFCO approved ingredient. Vitamin K is absolutely necessary in cat foods. With that said, we listened to consumer feedback and tested all of our Tiki formulas to see if removing the vitamin K supplement was possible. We have confirmed a select range of Tiki formulas meet the required level of vitamin K without supplementation so you will see it being removed from the formula and ingredient panel of these diets in the coming months. This included the majority of our chicken based diets. Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there ...

Hound and Gatos

Weruva

Authority

I've been using American journey wet canned food made by by Chewy. It is high quality with out those ingredients and the price is good too.