Which Wet Food Brand to Use?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oonalyl

I take that to mean that they, too, use a Menu plant.
I would, I also emailed the person who passed on the info that Serengeti was safe and made in MA with that post so she can call them and find out why she was given the wrong info.

Yeah, I think my boys will not be getting any Serengeti, regardless of the fact dry is safe, from a company that can not be straight with their customers

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Yeah, I think my boys will not be getting any Serengeti, regardless of the fact dry is safe, from a company that can not be straight with their customers

I agree - what is wrong with full disclosure unless you have something to hide?
ESPECIALLY when we are now looking at a gigantic breach of trust.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

Apparently having your own manufacturing plant is no guarantee of safe food, unfortunately.
You've got that right! In no way does having your OWN manufacturing plant make a food safe. Unless you are just referring to "safe" in this current recall situation.

Remember that all pet food companies obtain ingredients from suppliers. The name of the wheat gluten supplier has not been mentioned, but I will bet that many more companies use that supplier, including some of the ones mentioned as being "safe" because they own their own plants.

Just something to think about.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by techiegirl

You've got that right! In no way does having your OWN manufacturing plant make a food safe. Unless you are just referring to "safe" in this current recall situation.

Remember that all pet food companies obtain ingredients from suppliers. The name of the wheat gluten supplier has not been mentioned, but I will bet that many more companies use that supplier, including some of the ones mentioned as being "safe" because they own their own plants.

Just something to think about.
They are saying now that it may not be wheat gluten, a recent report said they tried manufacturing a new food for trials and 'for undisclosed reasons' the food was pulled and the problems started around that time. They didn't feel it was necessary to report it as they were not manufacturing the food that was the problem source. Although that would mean they have some major cross contamination problems

Someone else posted about it here
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120063

as you have to log in to the link I have

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

On another board someone said that Merrick's owns one of the largest rendering plants in the country. The owner has also protested the FDA regulations prohibiting the use of downed cattle in pet food. I don't know if any of that is true. But either way Ping never liked their wet food. So I don't buy it.
I read about that too and googled it, found the following info.

Garth Merrick, founder of Merrick Pet Care, owns Nutri-Feeds Inc in Hereford, TX, which does rendering and manufacturing animal feed.
http://www.macraesbluebook.com/searc...company=703695

If you google "Garth Merrick" and "FDA", you should be able to find the letter he sent to protest the FDA regulations prohibiting the use of downed cattle in animal feeds (including pet food). Since the document is in PDF format, i can't post the html link here, it won't show up properly.