Which SUV should I buy?

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big thing with the Explorers and the tires seemed to have been that Ford recommended that you inflate the tires to a different spec than the tire manufacturer recommended. Even on my '03, the tire itself recommends a higher psi than Ford does. After researching this discrepancy with some people I know, I inflate my tires to the tire manufacturer's specs, rather than Ford's.

big kat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The New Yorker magazine had a really good article about SUVs and safety issues with them and cars in general in the January 12th issue. I looked on their website to try and link the article but haven't been able to find it. Just thought I'd mention it though in case you can get your hands on it. Definitely worth reading if you can before you buy.

Good luck searching this weekend!

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I don't like about SUVS is the end up being more expensive becuase of gas and when they break they seem to cost ALOT to fix!

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just put in my .02 cents and voted NOT to get an SUV.

I loved them as a kid (my parents had a Chevy Blazer and I thought it was the coolest thing). I HATE driving behind one because I can't see a thing, but I like being IN one and being up high and being able to see everything.

As for rolling over: ("I have heard about the roll-over risks, but was under the impression this was a problem they had solved?") It will never be solved as long as there are bad drivers out there who think they can drive an SUV like a car. They are NOT a car and will never drive like one. I've seen too many on their roofs not to believe that.

Other negatives (as everyone else has mentioned): poor gas mileage, higher insurance (depending on location).

I have a Volvo wagon V70 (low end, as in no Turbo and only front-wheel drive) and I love it. I can put 6 traps in the back (with rear seat down) and that's without stacking. I decided on the Volvo because first, I liked the look of the new style and I have to admit the first thing I take into consideration is looks. If I hate the style of a car, I look elsewhere. The second is safety. If a car has a poor safety rating then I don't care how much I like the looks, I won't buy it. Volvo is known for being a safe vehicle.

Here's a link to search for certified pre-owned vehicles. http://new.volvocars.com/cpois/

I don't think I could ever go back to a "regular" car. I need the space that a wagon gives me. Just my .07 cents (sorry, inflation)

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by fuzzmom

As for rolling over: ("I have heard about the roll-over risks, but was under the impression this was a problem they had solved?") It will never be solved as long as there are bad drivers out there who think they can drive an SUV like a car. They are NOT a car and will never drive like one. I've seen too many on their roofs not to believe that.

What about the Porsche Cayenne Turbo? That thing holds better on the skidpad than a lot of cars! Want an SUV that'll do 0-60 in the 5s, and top out in the 160s? Porsches got it! Oh and it also does real well off-road

Peace,
Brandon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found an AMAZING deal on cars.com!!!!
This was the ad:

1992 Land Rover Range Rover County
Price $4,200 (I paid less since I bought with cash!)
Mileage 150,000
Body Style SUV
Exterior Color Green
Engine 8 Cylinders
Transmission Automatic
Drive Train 4WD
Interior Color Tan
Condition Good

Features: A/C: Front, Alarm, Anti-Lock Brakes, Cassette Radio, CD Changer, Cruise Control, Fog Lights, Leather Interior, Power Locks, Power Seats, Power Steering, Power Windows, Premium Sound, Rear Window Defroster, Rear Window Wiper, Remote Keyless Entry, Sunroof/Moonroof

Green 4DR SUV, 150000 Miles, Automatic Transmission, 4WD, 8 Cylinders, Leather Interior, Good Condition. Sherwood Green, full County options package, power sunroof, excellent leather seats condition. ADS speaker system with subwoofer and power amplifier. Owned since 1993. No body damage, only some rust in the back hatch frame, that could be easily replaced. I have two large boarding steps, not installed, which I never used (the car looks better without). Phenomenal bad weather vehicle, always in 4WD.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May I add: it is an AWESOME vehicle, drives smooth and quietly, I was given maintenance records and the contact info for the mechanic who has serviced it for the past 10 years, and the seller told me to call him if I ever have any questions. He sold it because he just bought a 2004 Range Rover (which was incredible!). I looooove it!

And I'm BIGGER than the Explorers and Blazers on the road!

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When this car was new in the showroom, it went for $45k! I would NEVER be able to afford something like that!

There's room for all the kitties, and then some. Hmm...
Nah, I'm holding steady w/18.

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Mom of 10 Cats
When this car was new in the showroom, it went for $45k! I would NEVER be able to afford something like that!

There's room for all the kitties, and then some. Hmm...
Nah, I'm holding steady w/18.
I thought you only had 16 cats?
Great find on the Range Rover. Those are real nice. Now just slap on a 7" lift, 4.10s, and some 35s and your on your way

Peace,
Brandon

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have 18 cats, there are 2 more pics to add

The Osiris in the pic is now named Question, and I adopted two Abyssinians, 13 yr old brother and sister Osiris and Nefertiti. (Question only had the name for a month and Osiris (Aby) had it for 13 yrs, so he got to keep it and the kitten got a new one!)

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Mom of 10 Cats
I do have 18 cats, there are 2 more pics to add

The Osiris in the pic is now named Question, and I adopted two Abyssinians, 13 yr old brother and sister Osiris and Nefertiti. (Question only had the name for a month and Osiris (Aby) had it for 13 yrs, so he got to keep it and the kitten got a new one!)
Cool. 18, thats a whole lot of cats!!

Peace,
Brandon