which seems like a better option?

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just lost our beautiful siamese, Bella a couple of weeks ago. She was 4 years old and our other cat is about 6. They got along well and now the house feels empty. It would do my family good as well as my cat Mishra (tuxedo) to introduce another bundle of furry joy into our household. We also have 2 dogs who are well behaved. My question is should I get one kitten or two? I remember when I got Bella feeling bad because Mish has always been lazy and never played wth her much... of course I did but I could tell Bella wanted a fellow kitty to be with. Mish and Bella were friends and played but mish has always been kind of a loner so she went off by herself and lazed around a lot.

Im thinking that with two kittens at least they have eachother to play with and if Mish wants to play she can and if she doesnt she doesnt have to worry about a kitten pestering her.

(btw any new family member we get, stays with our family... its a lifelong commitment for us so I want to make sure I make the right decision.)

Thanks!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jesi

Im thinking that with two kittens at least they have eachother to play with and if Mish wants to play she can and if she doesnt she doesnt have to worry about a kitten pestering her.
First let me say I'm sorry about your loss.
RIP Bella

With Mishra being 6 years old I think two kittens would be a better choice than 1. As you said above if she wants to play she can and if she doesn't than the kitten has a playmate to keep him/her busy.

We will need lots of pictures when you decide to adopt again.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

First let me say I'm sorry about your loss.
RIP Bella

With Mishra being 6 years old I think two kittens would be a better choice than 1. As you said above if she wants to play she can and if she doesn't than the kitten has a playmate to keep him/her busy.

We will need lots of pictures when you decide to adopt again.
I agree, two kittens would be a great idea!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the loss of your younger one. I, too, agree with getting two kittens - would probably be best to adopt littermates and both be boys. Females tend to be more territorial and she will probably accept young males (neutered) a lot quicker and better then to adopt female kittens.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
if you do get kittens, i agree 2 is a better choice.
have you considered a young adult neutered male? my male was an adult - i couldn't ask for a sweeter, more loving cat, either!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your sweet words and advice! This makes my decision much easier!! I've only ever had female cats so I feel pretty comfortable going with them... I never really thought of getting males... its funny our dogs are always boys and our cats are always girls! lol I will absolutely post pictures!! Ill have to go to the picture forum and post ones of the fellars we have now too!

btw it feels good to come to a place where people understand how horrible it is to lose a furry family member! Im glad I found this place!!

so two cats here we come... btw we cannot get littermates sadly as I was already set to get another siamese (I love this breed esp since Bellie) and all the rest were on hold/taken. My DH is in love with a siamese mix though so we'll probably go for that one as well.. I wish we could do siblings though that would be so sweet...this hadnt crossed my mind before...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope things go well with whatever you wind up choosing. Personally I'll take a boy over a girl any day. Boys have more laid back and friendly personalities. I've had both mixed and pedigree cats and the boys in either are much better pets

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks GoldenKitty!
I do have to say Ive never had a problem with my females being territorial, they are/were also easy going and affectionate...
Bella loved everyone and everything, from dogs to cats to people~ she was absolutely my favorite pet ever! Mish is shy of strangers but is happy with family and is really lazy though she likes to play sometimes and I have taken up to training her some "tricks" which she loves! Anyways, I hope my luck keeps going! I'll be sure to up date for sure though as to what/who we get! Thank you so much for your thoughts!

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You snosrap!

Update: sadly we decided that the rescue kitten would be too much for us to take on with us just losing a pet, and being extra cautious about our pets we have, etc... we feel so bad for the little kitten who needs a lot of medical attention but decided against it. Its just too much of a risk for us right now.

But after we called the lady (we took a couple days to decide as it was a big decision... I mean in way of medical treatment etc) and cancelled we found that the siamese we are waiting for... her sister became available, so now we are waiting on 2! yay! I really do feel better about that and think it may be easier to introduce my cat to them as they will have a similar smell (I hope!)