Which is better wet or dry feeds?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't wet be considered better over any dry because of UTI issues that could result from dry food???
Even if it's the best quality, I've heard that just the fact that the water content is low in dry means potential UTI problems especially for boys.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MysteryCat

I think there's a misunderstanding here
1st - It's not that he doesn't want to eat, he's not eating much especially if I gave him his dry food. I can remember, I said that my cat would like to eat something that I bought from the market which made me think that I need to switch to another food which is wet food.

2nd - Yes, he is so thin but not scary skinny, because I'm still giving him his dry food which is he doesn't like.

3rd - Yes, he never saw a vet, but i don't feel that he is sick. No sign of worm, no sign of being weak. Nothing has change about his behavior. It's just that he's being choosy with regards to the food I'm giving him.

I already tried switching to another brand of dry food, he liked it very much but then after a month he started to dislike it. What I did is to give the old one, same old story he likes it then after a month he started to dislike it again. But as I have said there's no sign of sickness, he's just being choosy. That's why I want to switch to wet food, and I posted this thread to know which is best among the two.

Anyway, I would like to ask everyone, is it not normal for a cat to dislike his food because he is having it too often?
Do you think I really have to take my cat to vet?

Sorry if it's a long post. I just want to make it more understandable.

Thank you.
Jake was never dewormed as a kitten, but in order to safely do that the vet had to do 3 fecal tests 2 weeks apart from each other. Some people will argue that even the fecal tests are not 100% accurate so they deworm no matter what. I think just because there are no signs of worms doesn't mean you can be 100% sure he has no worms. Worms is a problem that can be solved very easily. I don't know what else could be wrong and why he isn't eating but I think it really could be worms that are upsetting his stomach making it hard for him to have any appetite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone I have a good news, my cat is now eating. He can now finish all his foods on his bowl, I'm very glad and really really happy!
I give him a homemade cat food, I cook fish from the market and he like it!

Weight improvement is from 3 1/2, he is now 3 3/4.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey everyone I have a good news, my cat is now eating. He can now finish all his foods on his bowl, I'm very glad and really really happy!
I give him a homemade cat food, I cook fish from the market and he like it!

Weight improvement is from 3 1/2, he is now 3 3/4.
hummmm... That is great news, but he can't be on that forever... That is good for only short term... That is not balanced with all the nutrients your cat needs, and can make him very sick if fed long term... I know it is not what you want to hear... I am sorry
(The lack of Taurine for example, can leave your cat blind)
You will need to transition him back to cat food by mixing both of them until you are feeding only cat food and no human food.
For now that is great, but for now only...
You also need to take him to the vet for many different reasons... You need to get to the bottom of this problem... You need to know WHY he is not eating. You need to deworm him. You need to give him his vaccines... You need to neuter him... This kitty really need medical attention...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

hummmm... That is great news, but he can't be on that forever... That is good for only short term... That is not balanced with all the nutrients your cat needs, and can make him very sick if fed long term... I know it is not what you want to hear... I am sorry
You will need to transition him back to cat food by mixing both of them until you are feeding only cat food and no human food.
You also need to take him to the vet for many different reasons... You need to get to the bottom of this problem... You need to know WHY he is not eating. You need to deworm him. You need to give him his vaccines... You need to neuter him... This kitty really need medical attention...

A homemade diet is possible but you need the aid of a VET or Certified nutritionist to ensure no nutrients are overlooked

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

A homemade diet is possible but you need the aid of a VET or Certified nutritionist to ensure no nutrients are overlooked

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I will still consult a vet. I just don't have enough time and money, as soon as get my paycheck, I will take him to the vet

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes I will still consult a vet. I just don't have enough time and money, as soon as get my paycheck, I will take him to the vet
We don't mean to harp at you, but this is not a legitimate reason for not getting vet care for your cat.

You need to make the time and find the money. Having a cat (or any pet) is a commitment with many responsibilities, and this includes health care.

Your kitty needs to be examined by a vet, possibly de-wormed, (bring a fecal sample with you) definitely vaccinated for rabies, and neutered.

Not when you get around to it. Now! (please!
)

(
A little more unsolicited advice: start putting a little money away, every pay check ,for future vet bills. There is nothing more terrible than watching a pet suffer because you "don't have the money for the vet". You might also want to apply for a Care Credit Card, that is a good thing to have in case of an emergency, or if your cat ends up needing some expensive treatments someday.)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

We don't mean to harp at you, but this is not a legitimate reason for not getting vet care for your cat.

You need to make the time and find the money. Having a cat (or any pet) is a commitment with many responsibilities, and this includes health care.

Your kitty needs to be examined by a vet, possibly de-wormed, (bring a fecal sample with you) definitely vaccinated for rabies, and neutered.

Not when you get around to it. Now! (please!
)

(
A little more unsolicited advice: start putting a little money away, every pay check ,for future vet bills. There is nothing more terrible than watching a pet suffer because you "don't have the money for the vet". You might also want to apply for a Care Credit Card, that is a good thing to have in case of an emergency, or if your cat ends up needing some expensive treatments someday.)
Or you can pay for pet insurance, which is what I do... I pay $14 a month, and it covers everything in case of sickness or accidents... (not annual regular trips to the vet for vaccines and such). There is a deductible of $100, and I pay only 20% of the total bill... The insurance includes all the tests, surgery, boarding, medicine, vet fees, MRI, X-Rays, anything... So, if you have financial problems, a low income, this is an option to consider... I am unemployed, and so it is impossible for me to get carecredit - Insurance has been a true blessing, and has seved me quite a few times. Sure, I will always have to have at least $100 to take them to the vet - But I will never have to worry about hundreds and hundreds or thousands of dollars in vet fees (unless it is dental...)
Just a thought for you to consider... The company I Have Pets Best Insurance. I chose them as they have the option to pay the vet directly, while all others you have to pay first, and then get reimbursed. There are other good ones too - Petplan is known to be good... There is also a place called Trupanion pet insurance - don't know them, but some good things have been said, I do think they a re a good choice too...