Which cat wet treats is best for a CKD stage 2 kitty?

MarBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! First time here. I have been battling on which wet cat treat I give my stage 2 kidney kitty I should give in the mornings.

Either Hartz Detectable Squeezies with Chicken or the TikiCat Chicken Mousse stix? Currently now I'm giving just a tiny bits of the Hartz one but I'm told now it's too high on phosphorus content? I've looked carefully at both and comparing the levels a kidney cat should have (the salt content, low protein, and of course low phos). So, I'm at a lost which one I should give to my boy as a treat in the mornings as he's getting also at night one or two of his orijen freeze dried treats. He's also currently on royal canin veterinary diet multifunction renal support + hydrolyzed protein. Tell me if these are good for him or not, and if you had give your CKD kitties this!

For Hartz I got from looking up the internet:
Salt: 0.6 (meaning 0.60??)%
Protein: 7%
Phos: 0.14%

Tiki:
Salt: 0.23%
Protein: 9.0%
Phos: 0.12%

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Considering how little treats (should) comprise a cat's over all food intake, I personally don't worry about it. Also, just so you know, going through the questions on Chewy's re: the Hartz treat you mentioned, it is 1.4% on a dry matter basis. As is fed isn't a true representation because it is talking about the phosphorus being 'watered' down due to the liquid content. The senior version is 1.2% on a dry matter basis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MarBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Considering how little treats (should) comprise a cat's over all food intake, I personally don't worry about it. Also, just so you know, going through the questions on Chewy's re: the Hartz treat you mentioned, it is 1.4% on a dry matter basis. As is fed isn't a true representation because it is talking about the phosphorus being 'watered' down due to the liquid content. The senior version is 1.2% on a dry matter basis.
Oh dear.. so then Hartz treat is indeed high. Should I go for the the TikiCat then?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh dear.. so then Hartz treat is indeed high. Should I go for the the TikiCat then?
I didn't find the dry matter basis for TikiCat. The percentage you shared is most likely the as fed basis number, so they could be as high as Hartz for all I know. You could ask TikiCat - or Chewy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try bonito, CatManDoo is the brand we use. Also, you can try growing fresh catnip, if you either have a cat that will leave it alone while it is growing or you can find a place that it cangrow in peace :)

Anything with meat is going to be higher in phos relatively speaking but another you might look at is PureBites, their chicken treats are about .8%. I'm using their minnows. If Captain Jack comes up with kidney issues in the future, I'll have to contact them and get more information.

Last edited:

MarBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try bonito, CatManDoo is the brand we use. Also, you can try growing fresh catnip, if you either have a cat that will leave it alone while it is growing or you can find a place that it cangrow in peace :)

Anything with meat is going to be higher in phos relatively speaking but another you might look at is PureBites, their chicken treats are about .8%. I'm using their minnows. If Captain Jack comes up with kidney issues in the future, I'll have to contact them and get more information.
I did see people say it's low on Phos! So I may try it out! Any thoughts on any wet treats now? I am now curious of this one called Catit squeeze treats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am now curious of this one called Catit squeeze treats.
Another product whereby you would have to reach out to Catit. There is no indication on the listed nutritional values regarding phosphorus in either 'as fed' or 'dry matter' bases. On Chewy, in 2021, someone asked about the phosphorus content, and Chewy responded that this product had not been tested for phosphorous. That could have changed, but again, the only way to know is to contact Catit.

I think this is going to be a case-by-case situation as to whether a company has realized phosphorus is an issue - and, whether or not they recognize most folks want to know the dry matter basis as opposed to the as fed basis.

MarBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another product whereby you would have to reach out to Catit. There is no indication on the listed nutritional values regarding phosphorus in either 'as fed' or 'dry matter' bases. On Chewy, in 2021, someone asked about the phosphorus content, and Chewy responded that this product had not been tested for phosphorous. That could have changed, but again, the only way to know is to contact Catit.

I think this is going to be a case-by-case situation as to whether a company has realized phosphorus is an issue - and, whether or not they recognize most folks want to know the dry matter basis as opposed to the as fed basis.
Just got back from Catit!

Phosphrous as fed: 0.085
Salt as fed: 0.006