Which Cat Should We Adopt?

twotabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We lost one year old Mia to FIP two months ago. five months before that, we lost fifteen year old Princess to complications from HCM and hyperthyroid/liver disease. Needless to say it’s been rough for us, but we are slowly healing and for us that includes adopting a new family member.

Currently we have a 5 year old neutered male cat (Max) who is playful and very high energy.

We visited our local rescue today where there are always a plethora of wonderful cars to choose from. Today in particular we met two very special felines, both recently arrived from TN today (we are in New Hampshire, so they had a VERY long car ride).

We met:
A kitten named Berry, 12 weeks old in a litter of 5. (Two girls and three boys.) she was sweet and demure, let us hold her and her brother, Bear. They’re sweet smoky gray fluffballs—gorgeous!

We also met a black cat named Baboo, who is a young male ~7 months old but quite large. He had the sweetest (and saddest!) story—rescued from the median of a busy street, his eyes were so swollen they couldn’t tell if he had eyes. Needless to say—he does, and with TLC, was nursed to health by his foster family who included a sweet write up about him. He was very affectionate and sweet.

We had two girls previously (one at a time) so I’ve only way had experience with a male and female cat together. Princess and Max never got on—she was 12 when we brought him home and she didn’t appreciate his nonsense, but they coexisted. Max bonded with Mia and they enjoyed playing together.

My husband and I cannot decide: Berry the sweet female kitten or Baboo the male cat? Both are fixed, as is Max. Would like to know your recommendations as to who would be the best fit for Max, because we want to do the best for him—both Berry and Baboo were absolutely lovely, so we are torn!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Baboo seem timid or playful and high energy like Max? If he's too timid, Max may pick on him. Did they say if they know how he gets along with other cats?

If Baboo isn't too timid, I think either one should work. Max is unlikely to be too hard on a small female, and a kitten will be high energy even if her personality is less intense. Pick the kitty you like best :D.

Getting 2 of the kittens would be my choice, lol. . .;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twotabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does Baboo seem timid or playful and high energy like Max? If he's too timid, Max may pick on him. Did they say if they know how he gets along with other cats?

If Baboo isn't too timid, I think either one should work. Max is unlikely to be too hard on a small female, and a kitten will be high energy even if her personality is less intense. Pick the kitty you like best :D.

Getting 2 of the kittens would be my choice, lol. . .;)
Thanks for replying, Willowy. Baboo did not seem timid when we visited. He was in a cage by himself and when we let him out he was checking everything out.

The kitten was such a sweetie. If we could have three cats in our apartment we probably would, but we're allowed two pets.

We don't know which one we like best! We were literally flipping coins and of course not committing either way. Soooo conflicting when they both seem they could be good fits.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Actually TCS has an Article about how to choose a second cat that may be helpful for you in making your decision:
Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty

Not to sway you but personally if it were me I'd choose Baboo because I'm a sucker for a sob story. ;) That's how I chose our present cat and have never looked back, he's not only extremely affectionate but grateful for finding his forever home. :rbheart:

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's quite a dilemma - two great cats to choose from. All three of our cats have reached out and grabbed us - one quite literally.

Personally, I would go with Baboo because males generally tend to get along better and he's a black cat so he might sit in the shelter longer than he needs to.

Kittens are hard to resist though and are generally easy to introduce too.

Don't wait too long, or someone might make the decision for you!