Which breeds.

chloe3404

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is driving me crazy not knowing exactly what breed my two cats are. I thought they were one kind and then I happen to watch Cats 101 on the Animal Planet and now I think they my be something else. The pics of my 2 cats are the first two pictures beside my name "chloe3404"

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless you got your cats from a breeder, there's no way to know what breed of cat you have. They're just a "Heinz57" breed that's adorable.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unlike dogs, most cats are not a certain breed or breed mix. They're just cats. Domestic shorthairs (or longhairs). If you didn't get them from a breeder, it's pretty much guaranteed that they're DSH.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
What is gloriously amazing about the DSH (or moggie) is that they can have a variety of shapes, sizes, coloring. Each one is unique and beautiful like the ones you have.

Breeding is selecting certain characteristics and emphasizing those. Before the Victorian era, the breeds were determined by isolated populations like the Manx or the Siamese. In the Victorian era, breeding came into vogue. Thing is, the characteristics in a breed also exist in the domestic population. They had to start somewhere.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are both lovely black & white bicolour domestics.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There really are very few "purebred" cats in the general cat populations. Unless you got your cats from a reputable breeder and have papers, you have two lovely bicolor domestic shorthair cats.