Which breed makes the best lap cat?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are all different. Mary is a lap cat, back cat, leg cat whatever part of you she can get she lays on. Cleo is the occasional lap cat but he is so long and big it is awkward for him. Seldon will lay next to you to be scratched and rubbed. All of them are loving in their own way. Cleo likes to be in the room with me and sleeps at my feet. But he could melt any heart with his loving eyes and sweet meow.
Trying them out at a shelter is a great idea though cats are sometimes different in the shelter due to the stress of shelter life.

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Siamese are lap cats for sure as well as my last siamese.... they love to come curl up on me and sleep or just hang out. They especially love to lay on my back if Im sleeping. (Same experience with 3 different siamese females).

kimbo399

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Several years ago my husband and I kitty sat for a friend who hand-raised some orphans. We ended up keeping 2 of the 4.

Out of all the cats I've had in my lifetime those two were the most social and loving lap dwellers. I think the reason for that is from the time they were born they were handled a lot. So that's all they knew and as they grew they/we continued to enjoy the same affectionate relationship.

Their breed - domestic short hairs.

im2catty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There really isn't any specific "lap cat" breed. Some, like the Persian and Ragdoll, just have a bigger potential. However, getting a cat from a specific breed just because the breed has a lap cat reputation without looking at the individual cat's personality may prove disastrous! And if you find the right cat, be it an Abyssinian or even Bengal cat, although these breeds aren't known as lap cats, instead as hyperactive feline jet planes, you will have a lap-heating lap-sitter and suffocating cuddler. You can't say "Aaa, this cat is a lap cat." by looking at the breed. You have to determine the personality. So, as so many people have pointed out,

You can't decide between lap cats and nones by looking at the breed. Even a Persian might avoid laps, while an Abyssinian might come and fill it!  

nayeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Come on Folks,

We all know the Tonkinese are the Best of the Best Lap Cats.

Big Smiles.

Kind Regards to You All.

shadowkitty2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is a specific breed, but calico cats are usually very friendly. It really just depends on the kitten. Tell your friend to pick one that really seems to warm up to her. Lap cats are made, not born. What I mean is, no kitty is ever really born a lapcat, you have to give them lots of attention and love for them to turn into lapcats. Calico.......

hoshimi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, of course as everyone has said you cannot go by breed... the most loving and lap-bound cat I ever had was a Bombay rescue, well, probably bombay, he was just like a bombay only bigger!  
  we never knew how old he was, but he was fully grown when we got him... a very affectionate, almost dog like way of following you about, great with other people, very patient (used to be hounded by our tiny but hyperactive female tortoiseshell) and liked nothing more than to curl up on you, so much that I would be woken in the night from overheating as he had moved _again_ to sleep on my head!!!

I was never after a lap cat, though I miss him dearly!

I would hate to give any advice that would add to the number of cats in shelters!!  so as @Jillie  and the others have said, if a lap cat is important to you the best thing to do is go meet some in shelters until you find one who feels right... especially if s/he is fully grown, then you can be _fairly_ safe in your choice...

Last edited: