Which breed makes the best lap-cat?

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The ragdoll interested me because of their calm, lap kitty reputation. We decided on not getting a cat for right now but it's still on our list for the future.

aliencat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cornish rex, definitely.

Best of both worlds - they love to play, are hugely entertaining, and they love to curl up on a lap/shoulder/around the neck!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scottish Fold 

l have a Siamesy-type cat (non-PB) and a Cornish Rex. They are both fun-loving, sociable, and affectionate, but l wouldn't really call either one of them a lap-cat.

The Scottish Fold however, is a little bundle of love!! He's a little (well, big) purring, smiling, leg-warmer. l can flip him on his back, put him on my shoulders, carry him around, and he just stays limp and purring. l'm really happy with this new family addition, l wanted a more affectionate cat this time around.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My siamese kitten (he's huge for his age!) loves being cuddled, but the thing all my lap cats have had in common is being neutered males.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being neutered and male makes no difference here, all my Ocicats of both sexes, neutered and entire are lap cats. Bit of a bother sometimes since they don't all fit 

My kitten owners report their cats are lap cats too, regardless of sex. 

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My moggie loves if when you pick him up and cuddle him as well as pet and love on him, but he's not a lap cat. Perhaps because he was feral up until 5 months of age? He's 14 months now, so maybe that is something that will come with more time. I have noticed that lately, every morning at 2 AM, he comes into the bedroom and starts kneading nad purring right by my head and in my hair (while sitting up). He then sits down for a little while, still kneading. Then eventually jumps up and away off to do whatever he does at night. So maybe this is him trying to cuddle and being a bit awkward about it?

My previous cat was a huge cuddler / lap cat. If I sat down anywhere he could see me he'd have to jump into my lap or next to me for a snug. And every night he'd sleep next to me - either on the pillow by my head or on my shoulder or something. He was a big domestic tabbie (buff).

I had another few moggies growing up and they all liked to sit in my lap as well.

So I don't think it has much to do with breed as temperment.

And younger, more active cats maybe are too excitable to sit in laps for long at first.