Whether to ear tip--not sure where to put this

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Wrong on both accounts.
Before you condemn a practice, you should research it.
It most certainly isn't for human purposes, it's to save cats from the stress and trauma of repeated trapping, repeated shaving and in the case of females, repeated incisions.
It is a quick visual marker that tells people that the cat has been vetted and altered.
There is no pain, as it is done while the cat is under for surgery.
It is usually done with a laser so the cut is clean and cauterized, and it heals completely within 3 days.

As for a target? No.
Intact toms have ears in far worse shape and they are not targeted any more or less than any other tom.

Do some TNR work and then tell us if you'd rather your colony's girls repeatedly trapped and sliced open or ear tipped.

DITTO -well said

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

A ear tip trimmed off will also be a target and sign of weakness when it comes to self defense in the wild, or great outdoors...
I don't see how this is true. Cats lose their ear tips all the time to frostbite or fighting, and it's certainly not a "target" or "sign of weakness". My ferals had their ears notched at the clinic, and I don't think any of them even noticed, and it certainly isn't any kind of disadvantage in the neighborhood.

But like I said, I don't see the point in ear-tipping a cat that's tame enough to let you see her belly tattoo, so I do think you made the right choice.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I see ear tipping as one of those "beats the alternative" procedures, but I'd like it to be unnecessary. I don't think it's awful, but it can't be quite as nice for the cat as not getting sliced there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I never thought this would turn into a inhumane/humane debate. Let's please not take it there. As the OP I would like to end that debate. I firmly believe that the benefits of ear tipping out weigh the "risks" of ear tipping. Perhaps until you work with a stray or feral colony or just stray or feral cat you don't firmly understand the situation. It isn't like ear cropping or tail docking, it is done solely for the benefit of the cat.

I ultimately wanted to do what was best in Ginger's situation. I do feel I made the right choice for her. For those who haven't read my updates otherwise--Ginger is healthy and healing well after her surgery. She has taken to a harness well and is learning to explore outside of the cage in a safe and secure manner while she continues to heal. She does continue to be frustrated with continuous cage confinement, and I know in my heart that living here outdoors she stands a better chance at life than at our kill shelter. She will show aggression in her cage when frustrated and I know our shelter would euthanize because of her aggression. When out of the cage she is the sweetest most loving cat in the world though. I do believe that her furrever home will be with me--I fear someone else will not have the patience with her and understand her like we do. I understand her frustration and don't see her swatting and nipping as aggression but as frustration--and as I said it only happens inside her cage.

Leslie