Where's kitty been all my life ;)

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Boy, are cats ever fun.

Boo - my 4 year old DLH boy from our local humane society is a blast to be with.

He's easy to please as well - loves canned wet food and dry food.   

I've changed the litter box to longer,deeper and covered, since he's a major digger.  Does a fantastic job of covering his poops or pee.  He took to the covered box no problem.  Just had to take the door flap off.  I'll train him how to use that door sometime. 

I love how cat's say hello back to you, in a little burbley sing-song voice. 

He has a blast with many different toys.  His favorites are the laser pointer, Kong Kickaroo, Kong Active (the one that looks like a snake on a wand) and that Cat's Meow that I just picked up at Walmart with the battery operated imitation mouse that randomly spins in either direction underneath a plastic sheet.  You've got to get one!  For $18 it's worth it.   Plus of the cost of 3 annoying C Batteries. You've likely seen them on t.v. He went bonkers over it, trying to figure it out. Finally he got frustrated with it and pounced on the center pieces thinking it's the body of the rodent or something.

It's hilarious to see him kick the crap out of the Kickaroo, with his back feet.  Why is that, what's going on when cat's do that? Is that how they would kill a squirrel? He bites one end then curls up and bang bang bang with his rear paws. 

I'm hoping he doesn't get bored of it, because it's really cute/funny. Maybe I'll limit that toy to once a week to keep it fresh. 

Edit - he's slowly warming up to me each day and wanting more pets or scratches, or face sniffs/rubs. He still isn't keen on being picked up - unfortunate but maybe sometime. 

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just love that you are enjoying the cat world the way we do!

They are such a pleasure, I can never imagine life without at least 1!

Yes, either limit it's use or allow him to tire of it a bit, put it away, and bring out new/exciting toys, and rotate them in and out, this way he always feels like it's Christmas morning!

baconman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the kicking is a defensive and attack technique. He will always do it lol esp with toys that have catnip. Some cats don't like the pick up thing, but as he gets more used to you, you can try little spats of picking up, try to distract him with lots of petting and scratching while you do it. Once he associates picking up with petting, he will most likely want to do it more. Enjoy him, it will only get better from here :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahh ok, well that leg kicking looked very cool.  I'm tempted to get him a live mouse to see what he'd do with it, considering how voraciously he attacked/played with that kickaroo or snake wand.  

Yeah, last night he crept up and lay against my legs while I was watching t.v., then we shared a pillow on the bed.   That's a new thing, so he's gaining trust in me. 

I should be careful though, since free access to the bedroom means he can jump around and wake me up while he's leaping across furniture.  

I'll see how it goes.  

baconman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to hear things are getting closer between you two, i am sure it will accelerate even more in time. I know the temptation might be there on the mouse thing but there are lots of life like and moving mouse toys out there that might be better. Mice, even when store bought can have a variety of nasty diseases that can harm your cat. Plus as someone who grew up with barn cats, I can tell you the after effects and clean up can be kinda gross lol I know you can get a remote control mouse for like $12 online, bet he would love that haha

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I suppose I can't confine him to the bathtub or a storage bin to eat a mouse.  He'd likely kill it and run under a bed or leave me a present on my pillow.

Thanks for the visual - I may pass on that now.  Plus didn't think about possible diseases from a pet store mouse. 

I used to breed mice as a kid, when I fed them to a tokay gecko. But that mess/splatter was confined to an aquarium.   

Side note - he's only peed once today.  The first two days were 3x and he drank a fair amount from the fountain. Perhaps he was nervous then.  I'll monitor and hopefully see more pee and a poop by morning.   

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a quickie here, but generally if the time he did pee was a good sized litterball haha, he is likely fine.

When a cat is having any issue with crystals or a blockage/partial blockage you won't see a big ball, but small one or 2.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think he's alright, after I posted he peed again and in the morning there was another in addition to his poop.

So, 3 pees, 1 poop - I'd say that's his average. so far.   

He peed in one box and pooped in another, let's see if he keeps that up. 

drbobcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, that kicking with rear paws is totally cute, especially when you know its origin.  Wild cats usually grasp their prey by the throat to kill it and then kick with their rear claws to rip up the midsection.  Aw, so precious!