Where's all the high quality cat food??

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy my cat food in bulk so it's possible for me to go months without buying canned food. It's time for me to stock up again and all the high quality canned I used to feed is just gone! Chewy doesn't have hardly anything of quality anymore. I cannot find Dr. Elsey's Chicken or Turkey pates. What happened to Redbarn Naturals chicken and turkey pates?? I bought 2 cases each at a random website for Redbarn. Other websites were selling them for absurd prices. I am having to spend extra and buying a lot of Rawz cases. Is this because of the distribution issues due to Covid? I admit in the US we have been at it for longer than I care to think about. It just makes me nervous that our staple cat foods seem to be disappearing. Only one of my 3 cats needs to eat canned and the rest eat homemade raw. My canned guy has chronic constipation so homemade raw is out of the question for my guy. Anyone else notice this??

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I buy my cat food in bulk so it's possible for me to go months without buying canned food. It's time for me to stock up again and all the high quality canned I used to feed is just gone! Chewy doesn't have hardly anything of quality anymore. I cannot find Dr. Elsey's Chicken or Turkey pates. What happened to Redbarn Naturals chicken and turkey pates?? I bought 2 cases each at a random website for Redbarn. Other websites were selling them for absurd prices. I am having to spend extra and buying a lot of Rawz cases. Is this because of the distribution issues due to Covid? I admit in the US we have been at it for longer than I care to think about. It just makes me nervous that our staple cat foods seem to be disappearing. Only one of my 3 cats needs to eat canned and the rest eat homemade raw. My canned guy has chronic constipation so homemade raw is out of the question for my guy. Anyone else notice this??
A lot of manufacturers for products such as the aluminum or tin for cans had to shut down for a while due to covid. On top of that, with everyone staying home for a really long time, people were buying more items that contain these metals, including soups, pet food, and soda. There's a bit of a shortage in the manufacturing process for some of these metal containers that these products come in.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Supply chain and shipping issues because of covid. Early in the pandemic companies at every step of the supply chain from cans to cars drew down inventory on hand to avoid spending money on making more stuff that people might not buy in an economic recession, and when demand came back they had to start from scratch to build up inventory again. Plus most products are affected by upstream/downstream disruptions too, like shortages of the containers for cat food or huge shipping backups at the port of LA.

Pet ownership also went up during the pandemic so I wouldn’t be surprised if demand is up too. I’ve had trouble finding two of the foods my cat likes recently, and when I asked at the pet store she said they’ve been having a lot of delays and receiving shipments randomly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just hope the next time I have to restock things are a little more back to normal!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I’ve actually been emailing Redbarn about this last week. They say supply chain issues, and they’ll be looking for new supply partners and when they find them, the recipe might change. Also some retailers decided to discontinue the pate line since it’s hardly available. They said to look for some remaining cases in local shops. It’s been frustrating, I’m guessing for them more than for me. At the same time they launched a new line that is not affected (produced in Thailand) but it’s only shredded, no gums but heavy fish, or course :( They say they can’t give any timelines when the issue will be resolved.
dr Elsey also had the note on their page about supply chain issue. I’m so fed up with this stupid COVID.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I’ve actually been emailing Redbarn about this last week. They say supply chain issues, and they’ll be looking for new supply partners and when they find them, the recipe might change. Also some retailers decided to discontinue the pate line since it’s hardly available. They said to look for some remaining cases in local shops. It’s been frustrating, I’m guessing for them more than for me. At the same time they launched a new line that is not affected (produced in Thailand) but it’s only shredded, no gums but heavy fish, or course :( They say they can’t give any timelines when the issue will be resolved.
dr Elsey also had the note on their page about supply chain issue. I’m so fed up with this stupid COVID.
This is the website I bought the Redbarn Pates from. I never used them before but I took my chances because, cats! Lol. They have a 15% sale going on with free shipping so it puts things at normal prices. They still have some chicken and turkey pates so you can try stocking up! I bought 4 cases from them..hope they are legit.

Pets by Nature

Smokey&Charlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve recently been interested in a brand called “smalls”. If anyone’s familiar let me know. They look fresh.

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve recently been interested in a brand called “smalls”. If anyone’s familiar let me know. They look fresh.
Smokey&Charlie Smokey&Charlie - I keep seeing the smalls ads on social media! Seeing this post made me look a bit more in the forums - the brand's def been discussed here (hopefully I input all these quotes correctly):

It's been discussed before here on TCS :)

It's pricey and seems to be veggie-heavy.

NashSue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I remember before I saw a site where information about all feed manufacturers, certificates and detailed composition. I couldn't find it in Google , some one know?

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in Europe and noticed two brands I buy in aluminum trays have changed color from tin/grey color to gold. Might have to do with supply of various metals.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Turkey importation / customs also really slowed down. A lot of vet clinics are currently out of some vaccines for dogs actually. With my cat's one German wet food, it took the food pass the customs for over 6 months. For like two months Fortiflora was out of stock.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am lucky some food are temporarily out of stock but not for very long periods and if I cannot find with one supplier, I sometimes find with another.
One good thing is that, my cats are used to a mix of foods in their rotation, I think it is harder on those whose cats eat only one or two foods.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve been buying Friskies wet food for my cats and also buy Purnia dry food but lately it seems like they are eating as much. Friskies sheds have more gravy in the cans now...another way for them to save money I guess. I’ve even seen the other cans such as Prime Filets have more gravy. I’ve spent hours trying to look up the best cat foods, both wet and dry. I need to put some on a diet to lose weight but when I read the ingredients on the so called “best” foods they have potatoes and vegetables as fillers....cats are meat eaters, so why do these companies stick veggies in there and why do they have to put food coloring in dry food? Cats don’t care what color, may not even see colors...if someone knows of a “good” food please let me know. im looking for a wet food that’s low in carbs, low in phosphates with no corn, soy..

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been buying Friskies wet food for my cats and also buy Purnia dry food but lately it seems like they are eating as much. Friskies sheds have more gravy in the cans now...another way for them to save money I guess. I’ve even seen the other cans such as Prime Filets have more gravy. I’ve spent hours trying to look up the best cat foods, both wet and dry. I need to put some on a diet to lose weight but when I read the ingredients on the so called “best” foods they have potatoes and vegetables as fillers....cats are meat eaters, so why do these companies stick veggies in there and why do they have to put food coloring in dry food? Cats don’t care what color, may not even see colors...if someone knows of a “good” food please let me know. im looking for a wet food that’s low in carbs, low in phosphates with no corn, soy..
Tiki Cat or Instinct are good. The Tiki Cat seafood varieties aren't terrible, but the chicken has virtually no carbs or other junk, especially the after dark varieties.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought for my adult cats Simply Nourish Chicken Morsals for kittens. It is high protein,fat,and low carb. Good ingredients. I took my cat to the vet and they kept her for hours for her to pee which she didnt. I went back with the food and she gobbled up the whole 3 oz can and peed. Stocking up on that! It does have ingredients I don't like but meat is the first ingredient which means there's more meat in it than starch or gums and good price. Plus my cats love it and it is another food in my rotation with tiki and farmina

SIMPLY NOURISH Essentials Tender Chicken Recipe Kitten Chunks in Gravy Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24 - Chewy.com

Last edited:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought for my adult cats Simply Nourish Chicken Morsals for kittens. It is high protein,fat,and low carb. Good ingredients. I took my cat to the vet and they kept her for hours for her to pee which she didnt. I went back with the food and she gobbled up the whole 3 oz can and peed. Stocking up on that! It does have ingredients I don't like but meat is the first ingredient which means there's more meat in it than starch or gums and good price. Plus my cats love it and it is another food in my rotation with tiki and farmina

SIMPLY NOURISH Essentials Tender Chicken Recipe Kitten Chunks in Gravy Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24 - Chewy.com
Thanks for the recommendation!

By the way everyone don't order from pets by nature. I have not received any order updates and apparently people are not getting their items. The company is keeping items listed even though they are out of stock. Trying to dispute through the bank.