Where would we be safer?

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Southeast Kansas and we're supposed to get some bad weather here soon. Where would I be safer with my kitties? They will be in their carriers, but if Jon isn't home, and I had to stay here would I be safer in a closet by the hot water heater, a closet with an outside wall, or the bathroom which has an outside wall? I can also go in the hallway, and close the bedroom and the bathroom doors, but there is just a door way to the living room, and no door. And the hallway is right by the hot water heater. Or should I just try and make it to a friend's house?

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always away from windows. And you want to put as many walls between you and the outside. You don't have a basement or crawlspace? Always get to a lower level of the house if possible. If you have the means to get to a friend's house that has a basement, that would be good. But often, tornadoes don't give you too much warning. Wherever you go please take a blanket to cover yourself and kitties up. In Indiana I've grown up with those nasty storms. One time, during a tornado I got in the tub with my cat and put a mattress on top of us! I hope you don't get anything serious out there in Kansas.
One thing you might think about doing is getting a little bag of stuff together for your cats, i.e. bottled water, cat food etc. Good Luck!!! I hope it blows in the other direction!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bellaandme

Always away from windows. And you want to put as many walls between you and the outside. You don't have a basement or crawlspace? Always get to a lower level of the house if possible. If you have the means to get to a friend's house that has a basement, that would be good. But often, tornadoes don't give you too much warning. Wherever you go please take a blanket to cover yourself and kitties up. In Indiana I've grown up with those nasty storms. One time, during a tornado I got in the tub with my cat and put a mattress on top of us! I hope you don't get anything serious out there in Kansas.
One thing you might think about doing is getting a little bag of stuff together for your cats, i.e. bottled water, cat food etc. Good Luck!!! I hope it blows in the other direction!!
Oh yeah, I've got a little tornado kit together. Kitties are better prepared then DH and I are. I live in an apartment, and it's on the outside too. No basement, no crawl space. I've already got the cat carriers out, and Abbey is sleeping in one. Cammy won't be so easy to get in one though.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always take better care of our cats than ourselves don't we?
Is this the first bad storm you've been through? I know it's not-if you're from Kansas. I will be praying that all is okay with all of you!!!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bellaandme

We always take better care of our cats than ourselves don't we?
Is this the first bad storm you've been through? I know it's not-if you're from Kansas. I will be praying that all is okay with all of you!!!
lol, I've lived in Kansas my whole life! I used to love bad weather, but now I'm an adult, and I realize I'm a mortal. Plus I'm pregnant and have two kitties to protect. Makes you more scared. And also, all these natural disasters happening all over, could happen here in Kansas too.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You would be safer toward the center of your house. If you have a hallway with a closet, go there. I would take the sofa cushions to cover my head. Put the cats in there with you. I hope you will be safe and the wind blows the other way.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you go under a tornado warning, get yourself to a friend's house with a basement. If you can't make it there, most tornadoes in these parts come up from the southwest. Even in my basement, I go into the bathroom that is on the north east corner of that room. It's away from the windows and there is a very solid bar with concrete boards in between me and where the tornado would be coming from.

Your storm is coming my way later tonight. I suspect I'll be in my basement with the kids then.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

If you go under a tornado warning, get yourself to a friend's house with a basement. If you can't make it there, most tornadoes in these parts come up from the southwest. Even in my basement, I go into the bathroom that is on the north east corner of that room. It's away from the windows and there is a very solid bar with concrete boards in between me and where the tornado would be coming from.

Your storm is coming my way later tonight. I suspect I'll be in my basement with the kids then.
Looks like we're through the worst of it. Good luck!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't want near windows and you want the smallest and lowest place in the house. Hubby says given your choices go in the hallway and close the doors. If the house shifts you don't want to be near the outside walls. If the house is taken, its taken from the foundation and it won't matter if the pipes from the hot water bust or not.

The basement really is the safest place but stay away from any windows - you don't want to be near flying glass.