Where would he be happier at?

sherlockblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat is at my grandparents right now. But he stays strictly in the den *computer room*. Since I have my sister's room pretty much all to myself since she moved out just the other day - I can let the cat have both my room and her room and the bathroom if he ever came over to my place and my dad would never have to see him. There's a hallway that connects my room and my sister's room + a sliding/pocket door, he could wander around those three areas as much as he pleases as long as their 'kitten proof'. 

For the first couple of months he'd have to be locked up while we're gone, and I'd have to be training him to get used to where he should and shouldnt go, that or I'd just make sure to close my room's door so that way he doesnt mess up the wires in my room or get on my computer. If anything, I need to get a screen for my hamster cages (they have 20 gallon aquariums that they live in) and that way if he were to wonder in my room he cant get into the rodent's cages. 

I'll keep the cage and toys throughout both hallways and the rooms and the litterbox in the bathroom and I'll even keep toys in the bathtub, maybe even a bed setup in there (though hoping he wont soil it which he's been good about that only one time that occured) (I dont use my shower/bathtub I use my parents which is much nicer and larger so I dont mind giving it to Romney!) 

Taking off the shower curtians is a must, keeping the toliet lid closed is a must, keeping wires protected and wrappers, anything he can accidentally swallow out of his reach is a must. When my dad comes in my room (which is rarely) (to give me my pills during the evening or either to help me with my computer if I need it) - he'll - the cat - will be locked up or in my sister's room with the door closed. That's simple!

I think he might even have a bit more exploring space then the den and it might even be safer then the den. Also, I could keep a filter going all the time and I'll wipe things down with a lint roller - not to mention I can give Romney a good wiping with non-alchoholic wipes every other day or everyday. 

But here's my question to you all - would it be cruel or is it just as cruel to keep him confined it a possibly hazederous space (yes, it's got little knooks and crannies that he can get into and wires he can chew on in the den) for weeks at a time? I need your opinion. He wants to roam around the house, but I cant let him for a while. I just dont know what to do. 

manemelissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What's your dad think about all of this? Since he's the dude with the allergies and the guy in charge of the house, does he have his own idea? It can be difficult to train cats to walk around only certain rooms.

Does your dad take medication for his allergies? Many people get a shot from their doctor that helps with whatever allergy they have. It doesn't work for everyone, but it's an idea.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of people with allergies will keep the cat out of the bedroom only. Is your dad's allergies so bad that he can't even share a room during the day with the cat even if he doesn't touch him?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
What's your dad think about all of this? Since he's the dude with the allergies and the guy in charge of the house, does he have his own idea? It can be difficult to train cats to walk around only certain rooms.
:yeah:

So you are asking if it would be cruel to bring him to your house where he would have two rooms, a bathroom and a hallway to roam? I think that's a reasonable area for him.

I also am curious what your father thinks about all of it? I'm allergic to cats and I do have Abby. I really take steps to try to minimize my reaction to her, but I do still have reactions. My brothers are both allergic as well and I do scour the house before they come over. Depending on the level of allergies, it isn't something to fool around with. I have built up a bit of a tolerance to Abby, but if I go over my mother's house, I will start to react to her cat after a while.

This article may help you out a bit -

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/living-with-cat-allergy