Where were you six years ago today?

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was approx. 11p.m. in Sydney & I was very tired. I was switching channels on the TV b4 turning it off, when the female newsreader was telling us what they thought, was a light plane, had crashed into the WTC. They showed vision over & over. I remember seeing on the Donohue Show years earlier with all these ppl coming into his studio with black on their top lips & wondered what had happened. A bomb had gone off at the WTC.
My husband came home at 11.10p.m. & I was telling him what had happened. We kept watching the TV when a 2nd plane crashed into the other tower. I couldn't believe what was happening.
A while later we heard of the attack on the Pentagon & the plane going down in Pensilvania. At that stage I felt sick in the stomach & the reporter was saying that 2 planes had deliberately flown into the buildings & a terrorist attack was happening.
I was now wide awake & couldn't leave the TV. People were crying & running, away from the buildings.
Then the unbelievable happened, the 1st building collapsed. I said to my husband, how can a building that big collapse so quickly. Then the 2nd building went. Paper, smoke & debris was falling all over the place. The lucky ones were running for their lives, everyone the same grey color.
I sat up all night as all the TV stations were broadcasting non stop, no advertisements all night. All regular programming was stopped. When I woke my son up to go to school, I told him there was no cartoons this morning & told him what had happened.
There was nothing else on TV for a few days b4 regular programming slowly returned.
I found out at a meeting of my garden club, that the son of a local couple, who lived in my suburb was killed at the WTC.

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i was 19 and working at a local pet store. the first plane had just hit minutes before i woke up. my father informed me of what was happening and at first i didnt believe it. Once i was fully awake and realized what was going on i sat in front of the tv for another 10 minutes just watching that first plane hit the tower over and over again. i then realized i had to get to work, and within 15 minutes of being at work with the radio on (we had no tv) i heard the 2nd tower was hit. I then remember hearing about the pentagon being hit, the towers falling and the plane crashing in PA. I had to fight back tears. I had to work and help customers which sucked but my ear was glued to that radio for the next 8 hrs of work. When i got home i was glued to the tv. I found out my boyfriend at the time had gone up to NY to help out. He is an EMT and living 2 hrs from NY they asked for help from everywhere. My brother was stationed at Liberty State Park as an "on call" EMT also. Living so close to NY made everything hit home so much harder. I do remember sitting on my front porch with my candle lit just crying my eyes out not knowing what to expect from life and being scared to go out in the world. Having a lot of friends and family members working as EMTs or Police officers it also hit a lot closer to home. This is a day the US joined together as one. Its ashame that such a tragic incident had to bring us close together but it has taught a lot. I'd like to thank all the troops that are now fighting for our freedom.

God Bless all those affected by this tragedy.

R.I.P. Vinnie gave his life to fight for our freedom.
Missed very much and loved even more.