Where were you on 9/11/2001?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 9 & 6 year-olds were in school, the 3-year-old and I were here, watching Blue's Clues on Nickelodeon.

One of my daycare moms brought her kid in and was shouting at me "did I not know what was happening?" When I looked at her uncomprehendingly, she again shouted, "we're being attacked!". Finally I figured out to turn the channel, and there it was, in all its horror. Nickelodeon wasn't back on for days.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at home sleeping on my day off from work. My husband called to wake me up, told me to turn on the tv but didn't tell me why. I was mad at him at first b/c I thought he woke me up to watch a new movie. I didn't think it was real.

I also think about that day and the people who died quite often, not just on 9/11. My uncle was supposed to be in one of the towers on that day. His meeting was rescheduled for the next day so he wasn't there. A simple twist of fate saved his life.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We were at Myrtle Beach, SC. DH had a union seminar for the week and I went along with him for a bit of a vacation. I walked into a Christmas store there and the clerk was crying. I asked her if she was OK....she looked at me and said, "You haven't heard?" "Heard what?"

She pointed to the television. I was stunned. I turned around, walked out of the store, and spent the rest of the day back in our hotel room glued to the television. And crying. I remember DH walked into the room during a break. He came over to me and I stood up. And we just stood there in each others' arms. We were in shock, I think.

It was eerie. Our hotel was right on the beach; I would sit out on the balcony every morning with my coffee and a book and watch the dolphins come down through. But on that day, the beach was completely deserted....there wasn't a soul there; I think everybody was probably watching tv. We had heard that they were going to start patroling the shores and, way, way out in the horizon, we could see "ghosts" of huge ships going back and forth....we don't know what they were, but assumed they were doing the patrol.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was home, waiting for the electrician. My Dad called and told me to turn on the TV. It was incredible. I stayed on the phone with him while we watched and we saw the second plane hit. We both knew at that moment what was happening. I remember crying and asking my Dad "Why are they doing this?" We had no idea who "they" were. Mom was at work in midtown Manhattan, on the 44th floor. Phone lines were jammed, we couldn't reach her for hours. It was horrendous...we worried more planes were coming...

Mom couldn't get home to Jersey - all transportation in and out of the city was stopped, so she got a hotel room that evening.

My DH, (who also works in the city but was on an evening schedule) and I were riveted to the TV as were so many Americans. After 2 hours of watching this nightmare unfold, I got my American flag and hung it outside on my porch. It's been there ever since.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueyedgirl5946

I just watched the clip on tv of Mr. Bush standing on top of that rubble saying, " I hear you, the rest of the world hears you, and to those who knocked those buildings down, you are going to hear all of us, very soon."
And off we went to start a war in Iraq.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was my first day at university, my parents helped me move into my room in the morning and I attended the first class in the afternoon. (the attacks probably happened after that) Then I did some shopping, cooking etc and called home.
My dad asked me; "I guess you don't know yet ?" And he told me two planes flew into some skyscrapers in NYC and that it was probably a terrorist attack.
I had no tv, radio or internet in my room yet so that was all I heard about it on the first day. I got up a little earlier the next day to buy a paper though.