Where To Get A Cheap Heated Cat House.

edteach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was looking for the feral cat a heated insulated cat house. I saw the K&H on line and the guy said it was 35 dollars. I could spend that, but when I looked them up they were more like 70 dollars. Does anyone know where I could get a good deal on an insulated heated cat house for one to two cats size? Any ideas could help. Its getting cold out and I would like to have a place for him to stay until I know if he is actually full on feral or if someone is taking care of him. thanks.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can make one fairly cheap out of rubbermaid containers. I have used the large totes as well as smaller ones that I insulate with Reflectix insulation. It is easy to attach with duct tape. Many people just use the large totes and stuff with straw ( not hay) and the cats burrow down for warmth. My feral boys never liked straw.

I use heat pads in mine as I have electricity outside on my deck. Over the years I have found heat pads for very reasonable prices. Using blankets is never a good idea as they will get wet and this will prevent a cat from getting warm.

If you do a google search on rubbermaid cat house and look at images, you will see lots of ideas.

Here is a picture of one that I use with a heat pad. We call it the Magic Box.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can make one (and there are a million ways to do it) but because I'm lazy I bought one on sale from Chewy.com for $30. It's unheated but I got a self-warming pet pad that was really cheap, too. The stray that camps on my porch loves it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just went to Amazon under K&H cat heating pad and found a medium size for 20.00 with no pad. That is OK because I cover mine with a blanket anyway. I have 6 or 7 of them now, and the cats ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM! I have four indoor in my sunroom and ever one was occupied this morning. Outside I put them in my small dog houses taht are wrapped in cheap quilts and tarps, and there is always a cat (and occasionally a possum) in them. Just make sure you get the electric, they only use a few watts of electricity so are very economical to run. They have ones made for outside too, that are more sturdily built. I got several of mine by keeping an eye on the site, they had them for 7.99 as an add-on one day, I got several, and even some for the local shelter!

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just went to Amazon under K&H cat heating pad and found a medium size for 20.00 with no pad. That is OK because I cover mine with a blanket anyway. I have 6 or 7 of them now, and the cats ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM! I have four indoor in my sunroom and ever one was occupied this morning. Outside I put them in my small dog houses taht are wrapped in cheap quilts and tarps, and there is always a cat (and occasionally a possum) in them. Just make sure you get the electric, they only use a few watts of electricity so are very economical to run. They have ones made for outside too, that are more sturdily built. I got several of mine by keeping an eye on the site, they had them for 7.99 as an add-on one day, I got several, and even some for the local shelter!
Yep! I don't have an outdoor outlet on my porch or I'd do that, too. So the self-warming pad it is. He loves it. The one I have has two exits in case he gets trapped by an animal. I put straw in it as well for extra insulation. One of our local shelters gives it away in bags in the fall.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How cold do you expect it to get where you are?

I made my feral a very inexpensive shelter and decided not to heat it since we have relatively mild winters (usually). If we do get a hard freeze, I'll either go get a heating pad, or bring her in for a night or two. I made the interior chamber pretty small to hold in her body heat. She can turn around and lie down comfortably, but that's about it. The shelter is insulated, so I think her body heat will be enough to keep her snuggly if we have a few hours of temperature in the mid-20's.

Her shelter is also tucked into the corner on a shelf by my patio door, so it's protected from wind/rain/snow. If it were further out in the open backyard exposed to the elements, I'd probably be more inclined to add a heat source.

If you're expecting an extremely cold winter, I'd get a non-electric Snuggle Safe pad or an electric K&H outdoor warming pad.