Where I've been and what we've been doing... (you know me, this is long ;) Oh - and LOTS of picture

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is working out well, knock wood. It's only really a summer tent, but they seemed OK the morning after it fell near freezing (Sunday night). It leaks a little around the door when there's heavy run, but nothing a rag doesn't take care of. Knock wood. ;)

I've let Baloo and Froggie out of their cages (not at the same time). They've explored the tent - and then went back into their cages. Khol wants to go explore, so I'll probably let her out next. I take her out each time I'm there and put her on my lap for pets.

There are two doors, one on either side. I think what we'll do when it comes to release time is just open the doors to the tent (secure them open), and open the doors to the cages (secure them open, too).

If I thought I was nervous about trapping Smokey.... I can't imagine what kind of worry we're going to go through when we first open those doors. :slant:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine what kind of worry we're going to go through when we first open those doors.
You'll have to do some more singing. 
  Might even help the kitties, too, to hear the comfort of your singing voice while they explore unknown territory. Or do you think they'd prefer quiet?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you got Smokey!

I'd bet there won't be any problem when you release them. They will have had time to calm down after the stress of moving and to learn that this new location is where they have friends and food. They won't have any reason to run off to parts unknown. You might want to release them at meal time and have the food just outside the tent. Home is where the food is!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so happy the move is going so well. 

How are the inside cats doing?  Have they acclimated yet?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad you got Smokey!

I'd bet there won't be any problem when you release them. They will have had time to calm down after the stress of moving and to learn that this new location is where they have friends and food. They won't have any reason to run off to parts unknown. You might want to release them at meal time and have the food just outside the tent. Home is where the food is!

Yep, I was thinking we need to get whatever "house located" feeding station set up (as it isn't going to be under the RV), and release them right around a meal time. If they come out to eat... that works. If they are too scared to leave the cages, I'll give them a little time, and then put their food in with them. But I have a defined call, and I continue to use it to let them know it's feeding time.

I'm so happy the move is going so well. 

How are the inside cats doing?  Have they acclimated yet?
Sally, we haven't moved into the house yet! The inside-kitties are still in the RV with us. MAYBE we're moving this weekend? We're getting close...

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOVE LOVE the pictures and SO appreciate you sharing. How cool that you are able to let at least Baloo and Froggie out in the tent for a little one-on-one and exploring. Maybe Kohl too. :D

Excellent plan down the road when you finally release. Leaving that tent up WITH all of the cages up is so very important in the beginning. Even if it is for a few weeks. I honestly think they won't go too far from safety once released. I know this is a couple of weeks out anyway and I think the longer you keep them caged the better, just to be on the safer side. They seem to be doing very, very well caged under the tent and have settled in nicely. I know it is SO much extra work for you but it will be worth it in the long run. Try not to worry too much (yeah - right :lol3:) when the time comes TO release because I am certain the kitties will all be sticking around their new home with their loving momma caring for them.

Just some thoughts that popped into my head when it comes time to release. Do you have an idea of who would be first? Last? I think since Baloo is the most aggressive and the most bossy that he should be last. Maybe a few days after the other's. Only because I wonder if he would become very territorial right off the bat and chase the other's away. It probably WILL happen anyway but IF you let the other's out (that really get along well) first, then they will have a few days to acclimate to the surroundings, in and out of the tent, etc. without Mr. Bossy bothering them. Baloo can wait - patiently or impatiently. :lol2: Maybe Smokey too? Leave Baloo and Smokey caged side by side and let them out last. Just my thoughts, though, sweetie. You know them best and know what will work for everyone. :nod: AND - hopefully you won't have to camp out in the lawn chairs in your winter clothes and boots. BRRRRR - we have had some VERY cold temps already. Warmer temps are on the way though and I hope for you too.

MEGA MEGA MEGA Vibes for Peanutbutter. I am feeling it too. :nervous: COME ON - PB. :cross: :cross: :rub: :heart3: Join up :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've just read through this thread.   Moving is always an adventure.  Yours is so much more with all the kitties.  Looking forward to reading the updates once you release them into their new territory.  Just one left to capture now, right?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, I think that's what we're going to have to do. :nod: I'm actually thinking of bringing Dottie in.

Yes, of the TNR colony cats there's just one more to go. It's been raining for two days, she hasn't been around. It stops raining Friday, so hopefully then or Saturday. :cross:

...but...

But there are six kittens - probably five months old? - over at the RV park dumpster. I don't think mom taught them to hunt. So 8 cats to trap, release the 2 adults back there. The kittens? I have a feeling I'm looking at another (smaller) tent and three large cages (I figure 2 per cage). They're too old to socialize quickly, and the foster network is over-full. Busier now than in "kitten season." :sigh:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But there are six kittens - probably five months old? - over at the RV park dumpster. I don't think mom taught them to hunt. So 8 cats to trap, release the 2 adults back there. The kittens? I have a feeling I'm looking at another (smaller) tent and three large cages (I figure 2 per cage). They're too old to socialize quickly, and the foster network is over-full. Busier now than in "kitten season."
Oh boy....six kittens. You have your hands full! 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, I think that's what we're going to have to do. :nod: I'm actually thinking of bringing Dottie in.
;) :bigwink: I had a feeling you may bring in Dottie. :heart2: OH MY - she will be SO very happy, Laurie. :hugs: :hugs: :rub: Very special girl. Heck - aren't they all though. But, Lil Dot has always been so very loving and grateful for you. :angel:

Best, best, best of luck with those kittens. I wondered how in the world they would survive without you now that you had been feeding them by the dumpster. My heart is with you during this whole transition and I can only keep sending the positive energy and vibes and prayers that this is all going to be as it should. Biggest blessings to you and Gary for all you are doing for ALL of those kitties. Bless your hearts. :heart3: :heart2: :heart3: YOU are both extraordinary and very special people and I have tears of gratitude for all you are doing for the cat's. :touch:

Will check in here over the weekend as best I can. We are now in Phoenix and driving up north to Sedona as you know. You are not far from my thoughts.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for the rain to stop and :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for PB and for the dumpster kittens and the two adult kitties. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :rub: :cross: :vibes: :heart3: :sun:

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We finally had a sunny and warm day for the last part of October here in Ohio for the first time in a while.  Hopefully the better weather is headed your way.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It seems it is Denice. The rain stopped this evening!

Lauren, we soooo appreciate all those vibes! I'm worried about the kittens. Only one of them was around for both meals today.

...and we had to feed them. People were leaving out bread for them. :(

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No Peanutbutter.

And the kittens are gone. Yesterday, there was only one. The park owner removed one of the three dumpsters. I am so so so so so concerned there were kittens in it with the garbage. Either that, or the disturbance to their area (along with almost no garbage now that the park is officially closed) sent them packing.

I don't know - but yesterday all of the eight cans of food was eaten during the day (which means more than the food disappearing overnight).

Today - no kittens. Just three cans of food eaten.

We'll keep the schedule and keep putting food out - but I suspect they've scattered (or were accidentally taken away. :bawling: ).

We're still here. Gary is still getting slammed with fevers and clusters. I'm still traveling to the house 2x a day to take care of the ferals.

No idea when we'll actually move - but we DO have to be out of here by/on the 31st at the latest.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kittens appear to be gone for now. Who knows when they'll be back. No cats are eating the food, someone's dog is getting to it. We'll continue putting out the food until we leave.

I did see Peanutbutter there this morning. :( She jumped out of the dumpster and ran. I called her name. She stopped and looked. I told her that if she wants to come, she needs to eat at "home." I told her that yes, Smokey and Baloo will be at the new territory, but there's a large forest, so if she wants to avoid them like she did here, it will be possible.

As she knows the territory and can take care of herself, I am not doing anything special to trap her, as I don't know that going with us is the best thing for her.

We did have an adventure the other night. A raccoon got into the tent. I opened the door in the morning, and my jaw dropped. The mess was incredible. As the cats kick litter out of their boxes, and the raccoon reached in to use their water (and get their food)... :rolleyes:

So I cut wire pieces, tied the zippers closed (yep, it opened the back door zippers!), and tied the cage doors all closed. I no longer leave food out overnight.

I have no issue with raccoons (or skunks or possums or whatever wildlife), but I do fear for the cats when they are in cages. :(

So far, it seems not putting food out overnight is the right thing to do.

We're still in the RV. Gary has been so, so sick. Everything is done. We're pretty much down to just washing the RV, which Gary doesn't want me to do alone. It's important to him. Worst case, we just drive her to the storage area of the park for winter storage rather than take her to the new home, and drive ourselves and the cats to the house. I've removed most of the stuff we want from the RV into the house, other than the few things we need daily.

I have come to the conclusion that his fatigue and these fever events are chronic Lyme. I found an integrative Doctor through ILADS physician referral. I got the referral list Friday. Their office was closed. I called today, and am waiting for a call back to schedule an appointment. Unfortunately, recovery will probably be a long road. But if I'm right this is tick-bite related, at least we may finally be on the right track. :cross:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lymes stinks!  I have gotten it twice but fortunately, got antibiotics right away both times.  So far, so good, fingers crossed.  But I know several people with chronic symptoms.  The titer test doesn't often pick up on it - there are more sensitive tests he'll need to take.  I have some info around here somewhere and will pm you if I find it.

On top of that, raccoons!  Dear Lord.  They are clever little buggers and can probably learn to unzip zip ties!  But I think you're wise not to leave food out - and get the kitties used to the idea. 

Can you drive the RV (and the cats) to the house, unload and then return the RV to storage?  Might make it easier to get them all there.

I know this is wreaking havoc on Gary's health but soon enough, you'll be settled in and peace will reign again

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Laurie... just big gigantic major hugs and vibes to Gary and of course, you. :hugs: :hugs: :grphug: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: I hope that Gary can get into see the Integrative Doctor very soon and my mouth about dropped open when you mentioned Lyme. I would have never correlated the two together but you may very definitely be on to the answer here. I was always hoping it was his teeth (as you know way back then) but now that his teeth are gone and still the fevers, etc., the Lyme may be the next thing to aim at. I hope the new doctor can give a better definitive diagnosis and/or at the very least some medication to help begin the long road to recovery and better overall health. I can't, CANNOT, imagine going through all of this all the while trying to find your new home and move. My God - the strength. :soldier: :Moon: :Shooting Star: :sun:

I am sorry that PB is not coming around. Laurie - your talk with her has to be sending her some message. PB definitely KNOWS something is up with all of the changes going on around the park. I think if you do not have a chance to trap her, she doesn't come around "home" to eat, then she may very well be better off right where she is. PB has always been one to come and to go. You are, as always, going way above and beyond for all of them and PB will either make up her mind to come along or she won't. Either way - absolutely - she will be alright. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: for whatever is meant to be and that we all accept it. ;) :hugs:

I am very, very sorry about the kittens being gone but again, we just can't control all of them and you have tried your little heart out to help all of them. Hard as it is to do, please try to just think positive thoughts about the kittens and that nothing bad happened to them otherwise you can drive yourself into tears wondering. It is humanly impossible to save them all but it hurts like HE!! when we can't. The thing is..... YOU TRIED and you KEEP trying. And, that, HAS to give you peace. Look at how many YOU have saved. My goodness. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :heart3: :touch: :heart2:

Poor kitties with the intruding raccoon :lol3: Those little scoundrels and hooligans. (not laughing at the mess you found but certainly know of messes such as that and can picture it.... ) Certainly, very relieved, that he didn't let any cat's out. :sweat: I guess it must have been quite entertaining for the kitties in the tent that night. A uninvited "guest". Party crasher, so to speak. :rolleyes:

Thinking of you this week and praying that Gary will have the strength and feel better to move that RV. :cross: You are almost there. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie, I'm so sorry to hear that Gary is still so sick. I hope that you are on the right track, & will be the key to figuring it all out. 

You have had so much going on with every thing, don't forget to take care of yourself too!  

As far as the kitties, & every thing else, I think Lauren said it all.

Continuing to pray for you guys!!!!!!!  

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry that Gary is having a rough time of it.  I don't know anything about Lyme disease other than what I have read, it hasn't shown up here yet.  I have read that it can be a long haul with the chronic Lyme disease.  I am sure he will be better once the move is finished.  Stress makes any physical issues worse.

I am sorry about the kittens but you have done all that can be done.  Unfortunately that old saying, you can't save them all, is true and you have done way above and beyond what most people would've done.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wanted to pop in and say my thoughts are with you and Gary, for all that you do for others, it would be nice if the universe allowed things to go smoothly for you in this big change, cut some slack here,  and but as we all know, unfortunately, it just doesn't seem to work that way..... 
 as deserving as you are!

You are strong, one day at a time, and all this will soon be behind you thankfully.