Where do your cats like to petted?

imbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was musing this morning, as my cats were cuddling and not in "FEED ME" mode, how all 4 of them like to be petted in different ways.

Callista likes having her face pet, even more she like it when I "pull her face off".  She'll also go for the occasional belly rub when she thinks the other cats aren't looking.

Jasio loves having the front of his shoulders and front legs pet slowly, he just leans into it with his eyes have closed, all blissed out.  He also likes having his scruff tugged gently.

The Niblet prefers tail petting.  She is the only cat I've ever met that would rather you pet her tail than anything else.  She also loves having her hips rubbed and gently spanked.

Hector loves having his sides rubbed, and is learning that he likes a little bit of face petting too.  He is still young enough who knows what his favorite thing will be in the end.

So how do your cats like to be petted?  How many belly rub cats are out there? 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats all get petted from tip of nose to tip of tail in one long stroke.  Silly, Julie and Spice all like belly rubs. Spice will flop and roll on her back any time I get near to her or speak to her.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh, that is interesting. Aria likes to be petted pretty much anywhere, but she LOVES to have her head/cheeks/chin scratched and stroked. She also loves the base of her tail scratched (does the back arching thing to let you know). She does flop over onto her side and rolls over on her back for the occasional belly rub. However, that is the only area on her that can get overstimulated, so you might get the the four paw attack if you rub her belly too long. Every other place you could scratch/stroke for hours if you wanted to. I've never found her time limit because I get tired before she does.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooh, that is interesting. Aria likes to be petted pretty much anywhere, but she LOVES to have her head/cheeks/chin scratched and stroked. She also loves the base of her tail scratched (does the back arching thing to let you know). She does flop over onto her side and rolls over on her back for the occasional belly rub. However, that is the only area on her that can get overstimulated, so you might get the the four paw attack if you rub her belly too long. Every other place you could scratch/stroke for hours if you wanted to. I've never found her time limit because I get tired before she does.
Gideon does the same thing with the belly rub.....he occasionally rolls over in my lap to get the belly rub, but often does the "four paw attack" thing. If I stick to his chest, no problem, but the belly will usually get you grabbed.  

thetigerden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The girl likes to have her neck scratched. Even when I pick her up, I will still do my best to have my fingernails rake through her neck fur because that's what gets her purring. Second best are her ears.

The boy is still pretty new and doesn't go for petting much yet... but he's definitely not objecting to having the top of his head patted in long, slow strokes. Also the length of his spine. 

Last edited: