Where Do You Store Important Documents?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
So the California wildfires have freaked me out a bit and I am determined to get more organized. I follow some of the Facebook pages for the Napa and Sonoma fires. One of the initial problems that many of them had was they no longer had any of their important documents. Most of mine are haphazardly stored in a variety of files in a filing cabinet. That won't do me much good in the case of a fire.

We do have a small fire safe. It was given to us as a gift, but we have never used it. One concern I have is that it would be fairly easy for someone to break in and walk away with it. We have discussed getting a safe deposit box as well.

I'm curious as to how and where you store your documents.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We have a safe deposit box at our bank with Rick's name and my name as well as our son's name and my sister's name. Our son and my sister are co-executors of our wills, so we felt that their names should be on the safe deposit box, too. We've heard too many stories where children or relatives can't get into the box after the deaths of their parents.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a small floor safe about two foot square. It is heavy, about 100 lbs., but could be carried out I suppose if somebody wants to do that up the stairs. They can be secured to the floor too. It is waterproof and fireproof, and very cheap is you watch for sales. We keep car titles, birth certificates, SS cards, money, everything that is almost impossible to replace. I would like to someday even get a bigger one to keep picture albums. I have pictures of my great grandparents from the 1800's and old bibles from Germany that have entries from the 1700's!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
That's a good idea Diane. I keep stuff in a metal box. I should get a safe deposit box but I have no clue who to put on it. Since I don't have children. I need to meet with a lawyer and get my stuff transferred into a trust then store in box at bank=but then if someone can't get at it=what good is it? I have to see what Jon has-I think he's got stuff in a metal box too. He wants to get a gun safe so we can also store papers/money etc. I just don't have a good place to put one..this house doesn't exactly have deep closets.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat I could end up in the same situation as yourself, however I think your lawyer can come up with a means, if you wanted to do it this way, to have your estate including the safe deposit box, liquidated and after everything's paid up then what's left to be donated. I have no idea, it's just that I've been thinking of trying this. Unfortunately my bank got stupid and suddenly sent a letter stating the branch is being torn down/rebuilt and it won't be continuing with safe deposit boxes. grrr and how stupid - the boxes are a pretty darn good means of revenue I would have thought but, what do I know?! Anyway all that was in it is now hidden away downstairs. Rather frustrating all around.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say to get a fire secure safe, as a fire is more likely to be interested in your documents than a burglar who'd probably rather have your laptop, say.

You could make copies of your fire safe documents to put in a safe deposit outwith your home.

I don't really have any document wealth but I stash my jewellery in the fridge/freezer if I'm going to be away from home.

I've been burgled, robbed, and mugged more times than I care to remember, and have never had any documents taken or even rifled through. In fact, my driving licence and bank cards were returned to me after I was mugged.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sister and brother in law(but really more of a real brother)have a huge safe. I have a corner all to myself in there for my important papers,jewelry and other expensive stuff. I am very fortunate to have family like them in my life,who I KNOW have my best interests at heart and always have my back.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep mine in a file cabinet, easy to get to and transfer. During the R/C fire, we were also advised to keep all photos in a container, something easy to move. They can't be replaced if there is an evacuation and the fire gets to you.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have a heavy fireproof safe where we keep titles, passports, wills, etc. I also scan just about everything into the computer and store them online on Dropbox, so if by chance the fireproof box isn't quite as fireproof as advertised, or an earthquake buries everything or whatever, I'd at least have copies of everything.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
During Hurricane Ike, and also Hurricane Katrina, a lot of people who had put their valuable insurance papers and home titles in safe deposit boxes were left without proof of them when the banks washed away. I would suggest having at least three copies of everything. One in a good waterproof fire safe in the house, one for the bank, and one stored far away with a friend or relative. That way, if the first two are destroyed, you still have copies. It's a good thing to do with important computer backups, too.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
During Hurricane Ike, and also Hurricane Katrina, a lot of people who had put their valuable insurance papers and home titles in safe deposit boxes were left without proof of them when the banks washed away. I would suggest having at least three copies of everything. One in a good waterproof fire safe in the house, one for the bank, and one stored far away with a friend or relative. That way, if the first two are destroyed, you still have copies. It's a good thing to do with important computer backups, too.
That's a really good idea. That's something I need to work on this spring. I haven't dug out my records since I moved here-never had a reason to. Everything is in a tupperware box container or in that metal box I have...I have tons of stuff to shred too-I don't need to keep old statements from the bank/employer etc. Making 3 copies is a good idea-I can leave a set with my dad then one with Jon and the third in my backpack I always carry around-I keep important documents in there too-I got a copy of my birth certificate-good thing because work needed proof of citizenship last year=evidently they lost all our files-I was able to produce said documents within an hour. Which reminds me I need to get another copy of my ss card for my dad.

And email said copies to the two people. It's hard because I don't have anyone younger than me to entrust my estate stuff...I am thinking of when I get the trust set up that it goes to Jon or name a shelter to inherit any monies/stocks. Because I definitely don't want that going to probate court. Probate court is a nightmare I found out when Jon's brother died suddenly of a heart attack several years ago...thanks for the reminder=to get my affairs in order.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a really good idea. That's something I need to work on this spring. I haven't dug out my records since I moved here-never had a reason to. Everything is in a tupperware box container or in that metal box I have...I have tons of stuff to shred too-I don't need to keep old statements from the bank/employer etc. Making 3 copies is a good idea-I can leave a set with my dad then one with Jon and the third in my backpack I always carry around-I keep important documents in there too-I got a copy of my birth certificate-good thing because work needed proof of citizenship last year=evidently they lost all our files-I was able to produce said documents within an hour. Which reminds me I need to get another copy of my ss card for my dad.

And email said copies to the two people. It's hard because I don't have anyone younger than me to entrust my estate stuff...I am thinking of when I get the trust set up that it goes to Jon or name a shelter to inherit any monies/stocks. Because I definitely don't want that going to probate court. Probate court is a nightmare I found out when Jon's brother died suddenly of a heart attack several years ago...thanks for the reminder=to get my affairs in order.
I'm not sure I'd carry around such important papers in a backpack. It's too easy to lose or have stolen, no matter how careful you are. With the information on those papers (names, dates of birth, address, etc.) a thief has everything he needs to steal your identity or even forge documents that could cost you your property or your bank account. If you absolutely must carry them, make notarized copies and never make the originals available.

Many communities have free shredding days a couple of times a year. They may only accept a certain number of boxes per person, but if you enlist friends, you should be able to get the job done. We have a micro-cut shredder. Each shred is about the size of a staple. When the bin gets at least half full, we put it in a trash bag, shake it vigorously, and mix it in with the used cat litter. If anyone wants to go through that and reassemble all those super-tiny pieces, they've earned the information, but by the time they got it done, the stuff will be obsolete anyway!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sadly all one has to do is google search-all that stuff is online. just look at any geni site=so maybe it would be better to not have on me but I would be having anxiety attacks if it wasn't close by. I will get some duplicates of said copies to leave with the trusted people in my life. That's good enough. Anyone can find your address and your siblings names via a search engine online..

I do all my own shredding and occasional fire pit which said papers burn to ashes..no one can steal those documents there. My sister has bomfires all the time..I should just bring it all there-it's just a box-not too much. I never kept utility bills..those go in the shredder when i pay them.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sadly all one has to do is google search-all that stuff is online. just look at any geni site=so maybe it would be better to not have on me but I would be having anxiety attacks if it wasn't close by. I will get some duplicates of said copies to leave with the trusted people in my life. That's good enough. Anyone can find your address and your siblings names via a search engine online..

I do all my own shredding and occasional fire pit which said papers burn to ashes..no one can steal those documents there. My sister has bomfires all the time..I should just bring it all there-it's just a box-not too much. I never kept utility bills..those go in the shredder when i pay them.
I was just sitting here thinking the same thing. I can't think of any important document that isn't stored somewhere else so you can get a copy. Your mortgage company has your deed and promissory note, dmv has your title and registration to your car, and you can always get a copy of your birth certificate from the state. Old photos, however, cannot be replaced.

I have a burn barrel for getting rid of my old bills. And now that it finally snowed, I need to do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for your input everyone! Now I have to get everything together. I think perhaps when I get paperwork together for taxes I can start then. :)