Where Do You Keep Your Litter Boxes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For now, we have moved it to the spare bedroom at the end of the hall. I also purchased a large litter trapping mat that is softer for their feet than the one I've been using (no wonder Minka launched herself out of the litterbox to avoid that hard plastic mat)!

We'll see how it goes. If this doesn't solve the problem of litter destroying our hardwood, I'll move the box to our master bathroom. They would have to run through the carpeted bedroom before getting to the hardwood, which is probably best. I just really want to try another option before putting it in my bathroom!

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the bathroom. I live in a studio, have no choice at all

Funny thing is, though, Ku Ku usually goes to her bathroom around the same time as I do, especially in the morning...

shiraz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got 6 cats, and currently 5 litter boxes. One in the a bedroom on the first floor, one at the end of the hallway, one at the side door entrance (also by the stairs that lead downstairs) and then there is one litterbox by the bottom of the stairs and one in the "den" downstairs.

What I did for trapping the litter since I get a LOT of traffic with 6 cats is I bought a couple large carpets used for steps outside and I cut them up. They are soft enough that the cats don't mind landing on them and rough enough that they seem to trap most of the litter stuck to their feet.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one by my desk and one in the spare bedroom. I used to have one in the basement but they never used it, so it's just the 2 boxes for the 3 cats. They are all fine sharing so far, I've been lucky.

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep mine in the bathroom as well. I have a rubber bottomed bathroom rug under mine and it keeps the litter on the floor down. When they get really ambitious and fling litter it lands on the rug and all I have to do is shake it into the garbage can.

Once a week when I wash out the litter box I also throw the rug in the washer every thing is nice and fresh. It also works great for those who have one that sometimes misses and pees down the side of the box. My old guy does this the rug soaks up the mess and the rubber bottom keeps it from going into my floor I just pick it up throw it in the wash and I am good to go.

Just make sure before you throw it in the washing machine you shake it out real good and get all the litter out. Don't want to clog the washer

Forgot to add: I also have a scoop away box down stairs it wont fit anywhere upstairs and I find I don't have nearly as much tracking or litter throwing with this box. I am thinking it is because it uses the crystals.

pui hang

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two girls prefer to share one litter tray which is located in the kitchen next to the bin. The kitchen floor is tiled but I don't like the sight of litter strewn across the floor so there's a dyson handheld attached to the wall to pick up stray bits of litter and food and fur....
(Yes, I like my dysons and there is a third one in the garage for the cars....
)

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 boxes both in the bathroom. I used to have one of them in the bedroom, but Xander would get in there at night and dig and dig and dig and dig and dig and dig and dig
and wake me up at nights so I moved it out. I could probably get by with only one of them but I worry what if they need to use it at the same time? lol

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 cats, 3 litter boxes....under the couch

Though my placement won't help you much

I live in a travel trailer and this is the most ideal place.
The dog can't get to them, and I access them for cleaning from a cargo hatch outside.
While it's not a tiny trailer, this saves valuable floor space and keeps litter tracking to almost nothing.

Here's the back side of my trailer and the hatch I access them from.
To give you an idea the hatch measures 3'x2'