Where Do You Get Your Books?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Are you primarily a library user? E-books, hard covers, or paperback? Do you buy books? From where?

I use our county library for print books from time to time. I'll run in during my lunch break, get 15 books or so, take them home and devour them in a week or two. But more often, I'm using the e-book part of our library. I can get 5 e-books at a time, plus I always have 5 more on Hold.

I get freebies from freebooksy.com and, to a lesser extent, from BookBub.com. They go on my Kindle Paperwhite. I originally bought the Kindle for Rick's mom because she started having trouble even reading large-print books. But she doesn't like it; she prefers my Nook, so I download library e-books to the Nook for her. The e-books that I download from our library for me go to my iPad. To be honest, I really don't like the Kindle all that much either, but since I have it now, I download Kindle books to it and read them when I have nothing else. But I really don't care for the Kindle. I love reading from my iPad.

We don't go to yard sales that often, but when we do, I check out books and cookbooks. Same with thrift stores. I love thriftbooks.com and was able to buy my Pendergast collection from there. Good prices, mostly free shipping ($10 order, which is easy to do), and the books are in excellent condition.

What about you? Where do you get your books? What kind of books do you prefer? Do you keep your books?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Library, Kindle, and I sometimes buy from Amazon when they are very cheap.

Psychological thrillers, I am reading the crime DI Helen Grace series now; one of the best series written IMHO. Don't care for romance, like history, bios, nonfiction. I'll read about anything except Westerns.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i get my books in e-book form, and from amazon. i use my rewards points to buy them -- save the points up until i've got a nice 'nest egg', then choose a bunch of interesting books. these days, i use a 'work around' -- place an amazon order for 'stuff' and apply the rewards to that order, and the total spent is deducted from my budget, and then use the rewards amount (that reduced that amazon 'stuff' order total) and deduct that from my budget too. it works out that the total deducted from my budget is the cost of my amazon 'stuff' order (before rewards points were applied), and i've got my e-books (indirectly) using my rewards points. :D

i really enjoy reading mysteries, spy/espionage (especially non-fiction), history (especially WWII, colonial US, and certain periods of russian history), as well as historical fiction. i also read biographies, and some humor (i'm picky about the ones i'll read).

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I borrow audio books from the library and listen to them at work. I usually get nonfiction mostly history, biographies and true crime.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only read paperbacks or hardcovers, I love the feel of a book. I sometimes pick up an odd one from a charity shop but more often than not I get mine from the library. I look on Fantastic Fiction site and make a list of the new ones that I fancy reading then I hot foot it down to the library with the list.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get most of them from Bookbub or Amazon. All ebooks. I put them on my Kindle Fire 10. I'm over physical books. They take up space and gather dust. I haven't been to the library in well over a decade.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything is electronic. Did you know that you can read a HUGE library of current magazines online through your library. Everything from gossip magazines through special interest magazines. I haven’t bought a magazine in seven years!

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get mine from local libraries, christianbook.com, and a store half an hour away from were I live. I normally get books from my birthday and Christmas.:yess:

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you primarily a library user? E-books, hard covers, or paperback? Do you buy books? From where?

I use our county library for print books from time to time. I'll run in during my lunch break, get 15 books or so, take them home and devour them in a week or two. But more often, I'm using the e-book part of our library. I can get 5 e-books at a time, plus I always have 5 more on Hold.

I get freebies from freebooksy.com and, to a lesser extent, from BookBub.com. They go on my Kindle Paperwhite. I originally bought the Kindle for Rick's mom because she started having trouble even reading large-print books. But she doesn't like it; she prefers my Nook, so I download library e-books to the Nook for her. The e-books that I download from our library for me go to my iPad. To be honest, I really don't like the Kindle all that much either, but since I have it now, I download Kindle books to it and read them when I have nothing else. But I really don't care for the Kindle. I love reading from my iPad.

We don't go to yard sales that often, but when we do, I check out books and cookbooks. Same with thrift stores. I love thriftbooks.com and was able to buy my Pendergast collection from there. Good prices, mostly free shipping ($10 order, which is easy to do), and the books are in excellent condition.

What about you? Where do you get your books? What kind of books do you prefer? Do you keep your books?
I do 100% Ebooks. I use and app called Cool Reader, you can make the pages look just like and old yellowed paper book if you like. No more wasting paper for me.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely hardcover/paperback. As for where I get them, either a bookstore (new or used) or order online via amazon :read:

If I love a book I keep them, so I currently do have a library. Non-hits with me are donated.

I used to really enjoy fantasy and adventure many years ago but have been into history and true crime exclusively.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy used books from ebay, Amazon and Thriftbooks. Usually those are for my kids or school.

My kindle goes everywhere with me. I took it to the eye doctor today like I was good to be able to read there. :lol2:
I need to look at my library more often!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rarely buy books now. I just borrow books from the library. I prefer actual books to e-books.

Some libraries have book sales. The books are usually donations from the public. That's a good way to buy used books and support the library :agree:

Be careful buying books from Amazon. Apparently there are a lot of counterfeit books sold through third party sellers and Amazon is aware of the issue but not really taking action. What happens after Amazon’s domination is complete? Its bookstore offers clues - The Boston Globe

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work at a library, so I get all of my books from there. I do not buy books, the ones I have are usually reference material for my writing. I have purchased novels in the past but I still have never read them. I jokingly say I should check them out from the library so I will actually read them. I also don't reread books, so buying books is pointless for me.

When I was depressed I had the hardest time reading. Reading one book took weeks, which was a stark contrast to how I used to be. I actually regained my love of reading through ebooks on my phone. I was able to focus on it for once. Now I primarily read physical books because reading them on my Kindle tempts me to research things I read about. I also do not read nonfiction books on a device. There is something about them that I need to have the physical copy in my hands to look through.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I buy 99% paperbacks, either from the local Barnes and Noble, or from used-book stores, or from garage sales.
:yeah: I will go to Barnes & Noble if I'm buying a book as a gift for someone else otherwise I buy all my books at garage/estate sales, used book stores and library sales. I look forward to a particular library in the city that has a tremendous annual book sale every July. The sale lasts 4 days and consists of approx. 7-8 rooms of books.