Where do I go to file a complaint?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember these neighbors...I really don't understand what goes through their heads. They're probably going to try something with this terrier (breeding, for example) and can't stand the dog yapping. So they put it outside for the other neighbors to listen to.

Unfortunately they'll probably get rid of the dog at some point because it caused "too much problems". Noise, fines, etc.

They should be banned from ever owning anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

You mentioned that the negligent neighbor lives in an apartment, if I understand correctly. Something like this happened to me many years ago when I lived in an apartment. The lesson I learned from that experience was that the first thing you should do is take your concern to the apartment manager. If that doesn't get results, then the next step is to take it to the authorities. I see that in your case, the landlord was good enough to take the second step for you. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the first complaint.(
Just to clarify here, as I see that there may be some misunderstanding. There are many different types of apartments, and not all are in large buildings or complexes.

I live on the 2nd floor of a three-family home. (There are lots of those in New England.) MY landlord, who is a friend of my roomie's, lives directly above us.

The neighbor with the barking dog lives in the third-floor apartment of the three-family house next door. HIS landlord does not live on the property. There is no such thing as an apartment manager for such small properties.

Therefore, I cannot complain to anyone EXCEPT the authorities. In this case, the more people who complain, the better, as the authorities would then contact the owner of that three-family next door to inform them of the formal complaints against their tenant. Only then would the landlord become involved.

I hope that gives a better picture of the situation.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You live in the creepiest (in a good way!) and coolest town in America! My mom and I visited in 2005 while vacationing in Boston... Salem is fascinating though, a very cute town too!

I would just find someone to complain to... someone will listen, and someone will do something about it. Good luck, keep us posted!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me I'd sneak in there when no one was around, take the dog and take it to a no kill shelter and tell them that I found it roaming around the streets (in a different area than where I lived).

I hate seeing animals mistreated and I'm not above cat/dog knapping in order to save them from neglectful or abusive "owners".