Where Did Your Love of Cats Come From?????

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know where I got my love of cats from. My mom always had cats but she had the attitude that they were disposable. I dont remember her ever have a cat S/N and if they did something bad (like climbing the christmas tree) the got sent to the spca. Even now she just feeds the outside barn cats with no regards for their health or anything like that just buries them when they die. IMO its horrible but I just dont bother saying anything to her because she doesnt listen.
I remember always having cats around but never for a long period of time and when we had to move (army life) the cats never went with but the dogs did. When I moved out of her house I adopted two cats from her farm right away and due to myself having to move and some family issues they had to go back to her farm and eventually got hit by cars. Now I have Hercules who was adopted from her farm, neutered and living a happy healthy life. Fatman was adopted from a former coworker who couldnt afford her animals anymore. And GiGi was found by Franklin outside a barn crying her little heart out and since has been spayed and is the Queen B of the house. I would have a million cats if I could afford to take care of them and keep them healthy and for as long as I can remember Ive had a love for cats especially. They dont bother me when they are acting up nearly as much as the dog does. :eek:) Hence the reason my Christmas tree looked like it was attacked by evil elves this year. GiGi made it her own personal jungle and noone thought to stop her!! LOL

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^^My mom is the same way. We always had barn cats and pet dogs growing up. She just views dogs as pets, cats as mice killers. After my dad died I suggested she get a cat and she thought would be a good idea to keep mice out of the garage.
Then I suggested maybe she get a dog... She doesn't understand AT ALL the connection I have with my kitty.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Easy answer for me - my family are animal lovers. My grandparents had been breeding cats for 35 years when I was born - so it was obvious what I was destined to do.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I was in fifth grade my dad got Myasthenia Gravis. I started feeding calves then and of course no farm is a farm without cats hanging around. At that point I liked cats but didn't love them.

Than my mom got really sick when I was in 7th grade. I don't remember what it was called - it was like having pneumonia but for several months. The thing was that the doctor at first told her that she had lung cancer and everyone knows what that means. She didn't actually have cancer but it took a while for them to figure out what it really was.

That day I went to the farm and fed calves as normal because it is easier for me to just try stick with what is normal even when your world is turned upside down. Afterwards I went into the strawmow and just cried. A lot. But the farm cats - even the feral ones - came and curled up next to me. Some even tried to lick my tears away, others sat there purring. I think that is when my love for cats really started.

They (the cats) cared about me. They didn't care who I was or what I did. They loved me because they could. So I loved them back

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My love for cats first started when I was 16. I was dating a girl who had 2 cats. One of them, Sass, was really skittish and scared of everything. When a new person came to the house, she would hide and not come out for hours. She was like that with everyone, except me. When I first walked in, she ran up to me like I was an old friend she hadn't seen for years. Later on that night, me and my girl started watching a movie. With in 5 minutes, Sass was in my lap purring away. Whenever I would lean back, she would be cuddling up to me on my chest and she would just go to sleep. To this day, that's still the best day of my life. Those 4 hours completely changed my life. I've been a cat lover ever since.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

They loved me because they could. So I loved them back
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Whenever I would lean back, she would be cuddling up to me on my chest and she would just go to sleep. To this day, that's still the best day of my life.
You guys are making me cry!!!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Tears of happiness I hope
Glad I could bring a smile to your day.
Of course! To me, the ability to love and bond with animals is about the greatest human trait in the world. My heart melts for stories like yours...

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was growing up and my neighbor had a cat. That cat also became the queen and I saw the kittens and they were too cute. I wanted the orange one bad but my parents had a rule of no cats in the house. My point is my love of cats came from the fact that they are very adorable and cute.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course, it came from my Dad. He always had cats around his house and he loved them all. He thought they were all nice cats, even the mean ones. He thought they were all beautiful, even the ugly ones. No wonder I am a nut for cats. I inherited it.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bellaandme

NO Through out my life I had heard stories of a crazy great-aunt that lived alone on a farm with 105 cats running around. She wasn't a people person and had a shotgun close by in case anybody tried to harm her babies.
Considering how most people are now-a-days, I don't blame her.
I actually prefer my cats' company to most people I know (TCS members excluded, of course!
).

I really don't know just where my love of cats came from. I just know I've loved them for as long as I can remember.
I always wanted one when I was a kid, but my dad wouldn't let me have one.
He finally broke down one year and let me get one for my birthday. Sadly, I didn't have him for long: some jerk down the road ran him over with his motorcycle.
I guess my dad must have felt sorry for me, because he let me get another one. I don't recall what happened to him, but I think he got outside one day when we were staying at my aunt's after my mom left my dad. I didn't have anymore after that - not until I was on my own and no one could tell me I couldn't have another cat. I've had them ever since.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I actually prefer my cats' company to most people I know (TCS members excluded, of course!
).
Same here. Cat's make such amazing companions, they take precedence over most people I know. Aside from work, school, and family, there only about 5 people that I see on about a weekly basis. The rest of my time goes to my cats. And honestly I couldn't be happier